Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Can I have some advice please???

Tags
advice
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeSixpack 
#1 ·
I have been fishing the tidal part of the delaware river for the entire summer and have been researching this site for about 2 months now and have not had much success catching stripers in the delaware. I have talked to locals and guys that have had luck fishing stripers out there and have taken their advice to no avail. I was out yesterday for about 4 hours and didn't even get a bite. If anyone can suggest a bait that might work well or whether the tides play a part in how active the fish are as well as different places stripers like to hang i would greatly appreciate it. I did catch a 22" in the area of the commodore barry on a 3" soft plastic minnow but that was the only fish for the day. I'm desperate to find these fish and ever since i caught that first one and found this site i have been hooked. Thanks for any and all advice. -Bob

#2 ·
I don't know that area, but I would say that the first place to start is at the local B&T. Look for structure,and areas where bait could get trapped. Also look for inlets and try fishing at night.

#4 ·
keep pluggin away. your gonna get some quality fish in there soon enough. watch the weather pattern for where you are. look for a falling barometer as with most fish this triggers a bite better in river systems as they come closer to shore looking to ambush bait. if you are using a boat then you are doomed. you will spook every fish away. stealth is the key. if you have a trolling motor then work the area at night with eels. try wed nite into thursday and fish that hard and you will be rewarded. zim

#5 ·
Tides, bait, structure, weather patterns etc are ALL viable resources for geting into fish. The one thing before all else to remember is it really is about putting your time in, making your own karma if you will. I didn't have the best season either relative to number of hours fished to actual fish caught, but still landed twice as many as last season....which I consider a success!!! There's a lso alot more to 'putting in your time' than wetting a line and seeing what happens (also something this site has taught me). It's amazing the things I see now at the same places I always fish that I never would've a year or two ago. I'm already gearing up for next year, targeting new and some different spots that I've scoped out thru the summer, with a whole new gameplan and targeting bigger fish. Even if ya only catch a few this season don't get discouraged or down on yourself. The knowledge/experience you gain today, tomorrow, next week and next year is far more valuable than catching the biggest fish or the most fish in the bunch!!!! :a_goodjob:

StriperHyper ~ Will

#6 ·
You should be into 'em now, I would think down your way. Get some eels if ya can, and fish an outgoing tide. I don't know how long they hang around your neck of the woods, but get 'em while you can.:10187:

#7 ·
I have never been in that area. I just looked at Google satellite pics of the area and a few places jumped out at me.

I see a creek which has access looks like, by ball fields. Looks like it might be good at most any time in the tide for something.

I see a number of creeks and inlets actually. I would prospect those on the dropping tide when the bait is getting flushed into the river.

I might prospect with castmasters and jigs.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Check out the local shops for info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.