Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Chasing Reports Along the Jersey Coast - 2011

8K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Ant_S4L 
#1 ·
Online tackle shop real time reports.

First fish weighed in at Capt Daves shop
March 2, 2011 = Nick Nastasi brought an 18.2 pound whopper into the store about 10:30 (3/1/2011) that he caught in the Waretown area before dawn. 2 more keepers on the second and 3rd where brought in. The second on a black sluggo.
The reports from the rivers is that there are already a good number of willing shorts so it is only a mater of time before some of the bigger fish get hungry.
Absecon Bay sports center
VERY SHALLOW AND WAY IN THE BACK
Absecon reports
Riptide In Brigateen reports
Betty and Nicks Barneget Inlet
Grumpys Seaside Park New Jersey
Scotts Bait and Tackle reports Mystic Island

#2 ·
Re: Tracking the bass

Grumpys report the rumors of shorts out front and keepers out back.
The back bays always warm first shorts will run along the shoreline for a week or so the same way on S.I. and fill in the back. Wont be long. The guys catching are the die hards. It rained like 6 inches with a coat of ice on top last night where i am. I dont want to go out too early and burn out too quickly. If your itching -fish those flats early evening on an incoming tide after the sun bathes them all day. It wont be long.
The warm surface water of the Ocean is carried in faster than the cooler water and out faster than the cooler water going out.
ttp://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=22347

#3 ·
Re: Following the fish NJ 2011

RSS Feed
Tuesday, March 08, 2011
The first keeper striper was recorded today at The Tackle Box in Hazlet as Dennis Galvez of East Brunswick used worms at Cliffwood Beach to land an 11-pounder.
Capt.Chris De Stefano of Wall was watching in Belmar as the Ocean Explorer unloaded the biggest cod catch I've heard of from local waters. Capt. Bobby Quinn told him that over 500 school cod were caught, with the largest at about 25 pounds. Furthermore, those cod were caught on open bottom where whales were feeding on both small herring and sand eels.

Any Day Now!
Wednesday, March, 9, 2011 at 5:19AM
The beaches are still empty! It seems as if everybody is waiting for somebody else to get that first Bass! There are plenty of rumors of fish caught but there is no proof such as bodies. Judging from the number of phone calls asking how the fishing is, there is much more interest than there is participation.
Here is the weather idiots version of reality - Mostly cloudy and breezy. Highs in the mid 40s. East winds 15 to 20 mph.
Mike is still pacing the floor, impatiently waiting for the Seeker rod blank order to show up. Needless to say, he has been a pain in the neck (if not a bit lower on the anatomy).
Grumpy hisself

#4 ·
Re: Following the fish NJ 2011

http://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htm
Thursday, March 10, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:29pm
The next batches of clam and bloodworms are due tomorrow. We do not have a specific time, it could be anytime after 11 a.m.
It's been exciting the past couple of days to see some anglers through the store anticipating the fishing to break loose anytime now. It's good to see the smiles and hope again. It is so much nicer talking about fish then growling about politics and the price of gas.
Word is that there was a peak water temperature at 46 degrees earlier this week. One lone angler had FOUR SHORT BASS up to 26 inches at Graveling Point during the low tide event of Sunday afternoon. Mullica River activity up at Hay Road is producing bass to 26 inches as well with a good showing of White Perch up to a pound and a half. Little by little the fish catching activity is picking up.
Sea Ya

#6 ·
Re: Tracking the bass

First keeper brought into Scotts at Mystic on Sunday.
http://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htm

Sunday, March 13, 2011 /\/\/\ 1:21 pm

FIRST Official Keeper Bass CAUGHT!
Graveling Point 3/13/11 around 1 a.m. (weighed in 12 p.m.)
Tom McGeary 9.9# 29"

Really didn't hear much today action-wise other than the keeper. There was also a keeper caught this morning up in the Mullica River by a boater.
Sea Ya

#7 ·
Re: Tracking the bass up the coast

Ok enough hijacking. I merged both threads Tracking the bass and following the fish.

So far there are reports of keepers in just about all the shops in south to mid New Jersey, albeit not many.
Down in Delaware -
Larry Jock at the Coastal Fisherman said he'd heard reports of striped bass moving into the bay at Ocean City. The tactic he recommended for the early-season rockfish was to troll the north and south inlet jetties with small bucktails.
With stripers reported in the Ocean City Inlet it shouldn't be more than a week or two before jetty and boat fishermen will be catching them in Indian River Inlet. The weekly report from the crew at the Virginia Beach Fishing Center listed good fishing on big stripers, with most fishermen in agreement that the fish are moving north toward their spring spawning grounds in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Anglers fishing aboard the charter boat Gannet connected with limits of big rockfish within sight of Virginia Beach during the past week, with a 51-pounder caught by Jack Council at the top of the citation list.
BOB JONES
http://www.delawareonline.com

Brinkmans in Philadelphia reports that So far the price for his bloodworms has remained the same at $10.00 a dozen.
The first stripers were caught in pretty good numbers in the lower river last weekend. +
http://brinkmansbaitandtackle.com/reports.htm

#8 ·
Re: Tracking the bass up the coast 2011

Brinkmans report
Friday March 18, 2011

I headed out with bloodworms and herring and fished 5 or 6 of my favorite spots. In 4 hours I did not have one single hit. Now the river conditions were not all that great. I was out at the top of high tide and the river was muddy but so full of debris that fishing was almost impossible. That lasted till mid tide then the river got much better. But still no fish. Now in this area they did catch a 31 inch fish up off Station Avenue with a few smaller fish. Down at the Tacony a customer picked up two 27 inch fish with a couple catfish. And further down river at Penn Treaty they picked up a couple fish 15 to 18 inches. So far that is all the stripers that I have heard of. Further down river Paul has been fishing every afternoon with bloodworms only to catch several catfish and eels. He said this is the earliest he has seen eels in the river since he started fishing. The Salem Canal has still been really good for stripers 20 to 29 inches.

Scotts Daily Report
Thursday, March 17, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:04pm
On Wednesday afternoon, there was a little flurry of short stripers right around the time of low tide. I did not have and feedback or weighins this afternoon which pretty much speaks for itself. Sixty degrees today and temperatures in the seventies tomorrow will help water temperatures and I would not be at all surprised for the action to break loose.
Two trips and three stops didn't locate any grass shrimp today. It just might be the clear water, but I think it has to do with the shot of rain we had on Wednesday morning.
Bloodworms and fresh clam resupply is due sometime on Friday morning. I have really loaded up and believe I am prepared for the first crowds of the season.
Still no sign of the Black Crown Night Herons. I though with the warmer temps they would be back this morning.
Green Crabs are ordered for the next time available; no crabs are expected for this Friday though.
Sea Ya
Grumpy's report
12 lb Bass last night
Thursday, March, 17, 2011 at 4:50AM
Finally, proof that the rumors we have been hearing are true!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Fuller,Oswald Bass 32″ 11.9lbs Plug

#9 ·

Betty and Nicks
3/17/11

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a few things for this weekend. I will be opening very early Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. 4:30 AM We will be getting fresh clams in the shell, shucked, and we will be getting more blood worms tomorrow as well. I will be repairing reels all weekend as well. If you are waiting, I should be able to get most everything done by Monday. Get out there this weekend, this should really get it going.

Yesterday's Report: UPDATED 11:54 AM It seems that another local and big time regular Dennis Vincent was fishing with Kurt at one time last night, and had contacted me on Facebook with a picture of his keeper bass in the front of the shop. I have decided to double the prize money for the first keeper of the year and give it to them both. Good anglers, and great customers. Congrats again and the season has begun.

#10 ·

Betty and Nicks
March 18,2011

Scotts Daily Report
Friday, March 18, 2011 It was a fun day at the tackle shop. Anglers were upbeat and thinking about fishing and leaving the rest of the world behind them. Action at the point is picking up. There is no steady activity, just a fish here and there. I know of three shorts that were caught mid afternoon.
Yesterday there was activity both at Pebble Beach and Graveling Point. One keeper of thirty inches was taken home for dinner by one of the veteran GP anglers; a thirty incher.
Clams and worms came in a little late in the morning. Both are in excellent supply for the weekend.
Sea Ya

#11 ·

Northwest winds will keep the waves knocked down and looking good, but won't help the water temps. Not really anyone fishing yet.

We are still hearing rumors of Bass caught but nothing shows up on the scale to prove it. We seem to have more people on the phone than we do on the beaches which makes it tough to give you current info. Early spring fishing always involves some searching so get out when you have some time and see how good/lucky you can be.
Grumpy's

#13 ·
Chasing Reports Up the Jersey Coast - 2011

April, Snowing in PA. The river has lost 3 degrees in the last two days.

Great news, No ones been fishing and the shad and stripers and they are in! jr@delawareriverbass.com

I'v been taking advantage of a empty river full of fish, it takes patients and time but you can get into some nice fish.

Book a shad or striper trip. www.delawareriverbass.com

#14 ·
Best bets for the weekend

Published: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 8:23 PM Al Ristori The Star-Ledger

Striped bass have moved to the forefront. Capt. Scotty Hilliard of the Prowler at Atlantic Highlands reported the water temperature in the west end of Raritan Bay increased from 48 degrees last week to 52.5 degrees today -- and the stripers turned on. He had 11 keepers plus shorts, and the Sea Hunter reported a similar catch on clams from shallow waters. The N.Y. striper season opens today, providing anglers with expanded territory in Raritan Bay -- such as Round Shoal. There's also good striper action in South Jersey, with clams producing at Graveling Poiint in Great Bay.
Clams are tempting some legal surf bass at the north end of Island Beach State Park, and Joe Melillo at Castaway's Tackle in Point Pleasant says lures have been producing some stripers from Manasquan Inlet north. Anthony Mazza of Howell weighed in an 11 1/8-pound bass, and Pat Dolan of Brick had a 7 3/4-pounder. Melillo noted that Point Pleasant Canal is good for stripers on jigs at night. Allen Riley of South Plainfield and Duke Matero from Piscataway tried the Sandy Hook surf with bait the last two mornings, but no fish were caught.
Winter flounder catches have been sparse, except in Barnegat Bay at the mouth of the canal. The Manasquan and Navesink rivers usually get hot around this time while Round Shoal should be checked out in the bay.
Cod continue to please offshore anglers, along with some ling and tautog.
Blackfishing should get steadily better with increasing water temperatures that will bring them closer to shore.

More...

#15 ·
Chasing Reports Up the Jersey Coast - 2011

Published: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 8:23 PM Al Ristori The Star-Ledger

Striped bass have moved to the forefront. Capt. Scotty Hilliard of the Prowler at Atlantic Highlands reported the water temperature in the west end of Raritan Bay increased from 48 degrees last week to 52.5 degrees today -- and the stripers turned on. He had 11 keepers plus shorts, and the Sea Hunter reported a similar catch on clams from shallow waters. The N.Y. striper season opens today, providing anglers with expanded territory in Raritan Bay -- such as Round Shoal. There's also good striper action in South Jersey, with clams producing at Graveling Poiint in Great Bay.
Clams are tempting some legal surf bass at the north end of Island Beach State Park, and Joe Melillo at Castaway's Tackle in Point Pleasant says lures have been producing some stripers from Manasquan Inlet north. Anthony Mazza of Howell weighed in an 11 1/8-pound bass, and Pat Dolan of Brick had a 7 3/4-pounder. Melillo noted that Point Pleasant Canal is good for stripers on jigs at night. Allen Riley of South Plainfield and Duke Matero from Piscataway tried the Sandy Hook surf with bait the last two mornings, but no fish were caught.
Winter flounder catches have been sparse, except in Barnegat Bay at the mouth of the canal. The Manasquan and Navesink rivers usually get hot around this time while Round Shoal should be checked out in the bay.
Cod continue to please offshore anglers, along with some ling and tautog.
Blackfishing should get steadily better with increasing water temperatures that will bring them closer to shore.

More...

#17 ·
http://www.delawareriverbass.com/report-your-catch

Bucks County and Philadelphia Premier Fishing Guide service for the Delaware River

Turn Pike Stripers

posted Apr 14, 2011 5:31 PM by Karl Hoelper

April 14, Fish up at Trenton got a few Herring but nothing to set the world on fire. It seems like the big school of bass and herring moved with the rain that we had. We fished up at Trenton for a while and got some fish and some bites but nothing like it was. We ran down to the turn pike bridge and the herring where piled up, biting snagging what ever they where everywhere. I knew the Striper bite would be on! We made some long drifts from the turn pike bridge down to the Burlington bristol bridge. picking up bites and a few fish fish. Every drift we narrowed down where the bite was and we end up with 11 stripers. This was a great bite in the lower river. These where no 20 inch class range fish, they Primo fish.

#18 ·
Raritan Bay stripers cooperate

Raritan Bay stripers cooperate
Published: Monday, April 18, 2011

By Al Ristori The Star-Ledger

As bad as the weekend storm was, the rivers sending cold, dirty waters into Raritan Bay didn't kill the striper bite on clams. Capt. Pete Wagner of Hyper Striper at Twin Lights Marina in Highlands even did well during Sunday morning's trip as the John Gleason party limited with a dozen bass up to a 24-pounder while releasing six other keepers plus shorts. Wagner did it again this morning as the James Herbert group from Allentown. Pa. had a limit of 30-to-36-inch stripers in addition to releasing shorts.
Capt. Ron Santee got a shot of early clamming action on his Fishermen from Atlantic Highlands at the end of the flood, as six keepers plus shorts were hooked. He said it took a long time for the tide to turn, after which they had a steady pick on the ebb.
Frank Huza of Aberdeen got his first legal striper of the season Sunday night while fishing at Cliffwood Beach. He started with clams, but there were bunkers not far from shore. When one got gilled in his line, it was turned into a fresh chunk that produced the 30-inch striper. Other anglers fishing clams caught some small bass mostly under 18 inches.
Betty & Nick's in Seaside Park weighed in a 12 1/4-pound striper for Jerry Taylor this afternoon after he caught it plus a short on clam at the north end of Island Beach State Park. The surf cleared up considerably from yesterday.
Capt. Pete Grimbilas of Reef Rescue will be the guest speaker Tuesday night at the Salt Water Anglers of Bergen County meeting in the American Legion Hall, 33 West Passaic St., Rochelle Park

More...

#20 ·
Fishermen bails out with late striper bite

It didn't look good for anglers who sneaked out for an Easter Sunday morning trip on the Fishermen from Atlantic Highlands. Capt. Ron Santee couldn't find those jigging stripers that had been down the beach Thursday and Friday -- and a return to the bay for clamming resulted in poor conditions and only a very slow pick. Santee was ready to head home at 1:30 when birds were spotted working in the ocean. That last minute showing produced many limits of bass up to 31 pounds on everything thown at them -- including jigs and clams. Other bass were following the hooked fish.
Capt. Howard Bogan Jr. hasn't been out with his Jamaica from Brielle since a successful Friday trip that produced about 45 keepers up to a 30-pounder on jigs. He resumes sailing at 7:30 a.m. Monday.
Capt. Stan Zagleski found blackfish on just two drops in 50 feet on Friday for a good pick of tog plus some large ling. The first fluke of the season was also caught on that trip. The Elaine B. from Highlands will continue sailing daily for blackfish until the spring season closes after Saturday. He'll then switch to striped bass until the fluke season opens on May 7.
Capt. Bud McArthur tried the area from Manasquan Inlet to Shark River Inlet, and then south to Mantoloking without finding any sign of bait or fish from his Splinter out of Brick --and with no hits trolling during the morning trip.
Gary Nelson of Flemington used clams in the south end of Island Beach State Park to land a 9 3/4-pound striper -- and a 35-pound black drum. Those fish were weighed at Betty & Nick's in Seaside Park, where Adrian Bullock of Beachwood also weighed an 11 1/4-pound bass.
Brielle Tackle reported some stripers being caught on clams in the local surf, but Lenny De Lucca of Manasquan took clams to the Sandy Hook surf for a 12-pound bass. Flounder up to 16 inches, and tautog to 15 inches, are being caught in Manasquan River.

More...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.