Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Bleeding/circle hooks

Was looking through the forums and couldnt find much on circle or bleeding hooks.....anyways I was looking to buy some new hooks and I've heard that circle hooks are not only safer and better for catch and release...but that with circle hooks you actually hook up with more fish, any proof to this and if so what size hook should I use and how should I set the hook?

Next, do those new bleeding red hooks really work, they are supposed to make your lure appear injured and provoke the fish into going after the lure? It seems like a good idea but is there any proof that it works? If so whould I use the same size hook or vary them to give the lure more action?

I was looking to buy some bleeding treble hooks for some of my lures but dont want to do it if they aren't as effective as I've heard+they would look kinda funny on a plug (im sure the fish dont really mind).

Soooo If anybody has any info for me that would be great....i'm looking to buy some bleeding circle hooks (size?) but would these bleeding hooks make a difference when drifting clams? after all clams dont really bleed. Where can I find the rings that connect the hook to the lure?....a bunch of mine are rusty.......a lot of questions here but im sure im not the only one with the same questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Bleeding/circle hooks

The learning curve to go to circles is kinda high - it takes practice to unlearn "crossin their eyes" on the hookset. I still use J hooks on a rod I'm holding in my hand especially on a boat where my concentration can vary. If I'm not paying close enough attention I tend to "HIT em" which yanks a circle right out of his mouth and lots of interesting language out of my mouth.

I generally use two rods when I'm baitfishing off the sand. The rod that's deadsticked in the rodholder has a high low rig (do a search) with circles. The circles allow the fish to hook himself. I've got much better focus on the beach so there the rod in my hand has a J hook. A quick hookset with J hooks can catch the light biters that won't normally get themselves hooked on the circles.

Red hooks, sometimes they seem to make a difference, sometimes they don't. I'm neither for or against (unless they're much more expensive, then I'm against them) In my opinion the juries still out.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Yah,, ditto to what Sudsy said. A lot of people when they first start using circle hooks give up on them because they seem to lose more fish that they would have hooked up with if they were using a J hook. The key, as Sudsy said, is training yourself to be gentle when the bait is picked up and not to yank it out of their mouth. Instead of 'setting' the hook, just gently ease the pressure on, avoiding that instinct to drive the hook home,, it doesn't need it.

About hook size, if you're changing the hooks on a lure and don't want problems, your best bet is to use the same size hook as it originally had, changing the balance of a plug can really upset the way it is designed to swim. The split rings you can pick up anywhere, even Wal-Mart, just make sure you get stainless, and if you've got a bunch to change, the split ring pliers are definately worth the $. I put red hooks on 3 of my plugs prior to last season and didn't notice much of a difference, if any.
For fishing clams/cut bait with a fish finder or Hi-Lo rig, I generally use a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

FYI... a forum search for circle hooks turns up 114 results. These have been discussed in great detail. Might be helpful to peruse some of the oldie, but goodie, threads as well. Tons of good info already written about
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks baitrunner....I noticed that too after I posted the thread and now I feel like an ass....I hope you feel good about yourself...jk

I noticed afterwards and it was too late....but anyways I went to walmart today and picked up some 6/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks...I hope those are the same as regular circle hooks...I did see a thread from earlier about the difference between circle and octopus circle but didnt really get a clear answer....also I found the split rings at wal mart, I've been looking for them for weeks and just found them (I'm assuming some lazy walmart employee didn't feel like doing his job so just hid them on a shelf so he could go on his lunchbreak early) After writing that i realized i gave a perfect description of my friends and I probably wasn't looking in the right place anyways...

when I bait clams should I expose the point of the hook or dig it inside the clam?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Brian, The Octopus circle is an offset circle. The Idea is that you can still "cross their eyes" but you can also dead stick and they'll hook themselves. Some feel that the offset results in more gut hooked fish.

When you bait up with clam the point should come through.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM

what do you mean by "cross their eyes"?....and yea after buying them I did notice that they were offset compared to pictures I've see on regular circle hooks.....I think Ill go back and get the regular circle hooks...what do you think?

usually when I bait up with a regular "J" hook and clams I hide the barb....when i set the hook it pulls the point through the clam meat and hooks the fish....i can see that probably wont work with the circle type hooks because I cant "set" the hook the standard way
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
what do you mean by "cross their eyes"?.
Set the hook hard
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Sorry. Thank for the clarification Suds.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it won't be long before the powers that be enforce a (circle hook only) law for targeting specific species ie; striped bass. but here with bluefish abundant most of us use j style hooks out of necessity but early spring like now i use daiichi bleeding bait circle hooks in a big 8/0 as it holds the large clam and it is elongated and sharper than as well as thinner profile than the gammy. it may be a large hook but i aint fishin for puppies.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
swabbie

Take a look at the Owner circle hooks also if your shopping for a hook or brand. I have not been disappointed with them. Use the 10/0 for bass and drum etc....
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
First Mate

brian21johansen, I have not had luck with the circle hooks in the Canal. Don't know why. Tried many times to no avail. I don't throw bait much in our area. So I don't know. I do know there is a lot less current though. And that may make all the difference in the Back River or where ever you fish.

I am guessing you get your clams from Rick, or Ronnie, in Quincy. Either one of them can be of more help than the folks at Wal-Mart. Rick had those Purple Clams for years. Seems to know quite a bit about them and rigging them up. He's right over the bridge.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
ISBA Exec

I don't understand the "bleeding hook" concept, when there is that Cajun line that is red, and supposedly invisible past three feet. So, if the red line is invisible past three feet, why would the red hooks do what they are supposed to (look like a bleeding bait) past three feet in depth? The verdict is still out on both of these for me.

Yaz
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the LINE is invisible (well almost) red is the color fish see least. unless you make it a contrasting color alongside colors like white or chartreuse where the fish will distinguish some color or should i say "contrasting hues" /.fish are not color blind although deep sea species see mostly blues and dont have the cone/rod cells like inshore species who depend on thier sight to hunt prey. most fish rely mostly on thier sense of sound at first, they will hear out of the three hearing mechanisms they have (barring billfish and sharks who do not have a swim bladder). sound travels through the water faster and longer and while people think i;m crazy when i tell them to walk softly on the rocks or don;t play music or scream loudly cause the fish will FEEL your presense, truth be told when vibrations on the shoreline will bring a fish close to investigate he can see 20 degrees or better out of the top of the water and will spot movement on the beach and leave the area. i;m no rocket scientist but i do know something about fishing (not much) but enough to know if you can be seen or heard your fishing can be killed
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 PM

I think they smell that friggin stogie too.