Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Stocking a beginner tackle bag

I'm new to saltwater fishing, but not to fishing. I have my second baby due in a week or two, a family vacation in July, and countless other bills and expenses each month, so funds are limited.

Can you guys name off a few must have items, lures, rigs, tools etc that you would say I could get by with that will last me the whole season and provide enough versatility to catch fish under most situations?

I have quite a few lures in mind, but at $10-$20+ each, the tab runs high quickly. I made a trip to ducks the other day for some quick items just for my first trip out. needed new line, and I picked up a couple 1 oz Spro bucktails, a pack of 5" storm shads, and a pack of Gulp mullets to use a trailers on the jigs.

I also have a couple Bomber plugs and an Atom topwater.

I planned on using bait most of the season, since that's what I have had most luck on in the past on my few outings striper fishing. Although I have caught them on artifials, and a friend of mine landed a huge 40"+ a few years ago on a cheapo swim shad.

I prefer to fish with lures, since it keeps my head in the game and helps me focus blocking out the weather or boredom.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe from Boston, MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Stocking a beginner tackle bag

Joe, check your PMs.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Check out the linked thread below, and other Stripers 101 forum threads for some good tips. Lots of options, depending on how/where/when you plan to do most of your fishing.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=12940

Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks, that thread was quite informative. I went out for a couple hours this morning at the local marsh during the last 2-3 hours of the incoming tide but couldn't get bit. I think I got a bump on my bucktail as I was swimming it. I did see something splashing at the surface. I kept casting to the spots I saw the bios, but no luck. Maybe they were the micro stripes I have been hearing about.

Anyway, hopefully the next couple weeks bring warm weather that liven the fish up a little.

I even tried the local trout pond, and couldn't buy a bite.

***Log*** 1oz pink Spro bucktail with a white Gulp 4" mullet.
Tried hopping along bottom,darting/swimming at the surface and various retrieves mid level.
I think I got a bump right by the side of one of the small bridge/tunnels right before the high tide. The wind was blowing pretty good at about 10mph. Overcast, high 40s. More like deer season weather than striper season. Got to see a family of Canada geese with newly hatched chicks and a huge horseshore crab. Had a good morning enjoying some fresh air and nature.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

It's too early. Water temps aren't even above 50 degrees here yet and the spawning run is just now getting started up the Hudson. It will be a few more weeks before we see fresh fish in any numbers, IMO. Nice to get out though, I'm sure. You never know when you'll get lucky and find an early fish.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Yeah I figured. I wa read there are some schoolies and flounder around so I have it a shot. I know the water is still pretty cold. I'll probably hit the ponds the next couple weeks until the ocean warms and more fish around. I don't mind being out fishing in the elements, but it isn't worth it when you go home smelling like skunk.