Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Can't see my ass going to work (when striper are running)

Default Re: 2016 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
We shore guys watch the boaters as well, believe it or not we use binoculars also! But please remember there are a few boaters that see us shore guys catching fish and move right on top of us! hard to believe but it does happen.
Please remember that we have the capability of hitting areas at 70-100 yrds.out with only 3oz. jigs and further. Please be respectful of us.
FyshhTrap brings up a good point for everybody boaters and shore guys, the river is plenty big!!! Respect each other and give each other respectable space. If you feel someone is in your space, talk to them nicely and work something out. All too often people do stupid things over something stupid... Stay safe and we all can enjoy the striper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
You are a Monster Doc, no doubt they are still coming down , we"re still catching em from the Dam all the way to Corning Preserve. This is shore fishing and using mostly top water lures on dead out tide.
FyshhTrap or anyone else - can you offer comments on top water casting in the Newburgh / Cornwall area - skinny water, edge of channel @ what tide or anything else???
Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAHA MAN View Post
FyshhTrap or anyone else - can you offer comments on top water casting in the Newburgh / Cornwall area - skinny water, edge of channel @ what tide or anything else???
Hey BahaMan, I don't know jack about shore fishing Newburgh other than I wish I was there This season, but we did rather well up in Albany.
I was fishing an 11ft. Tsunami rod and Shimano Spheros SW10000 reel for the last two years, I found it to be a bit much and didn't need all that rod, I also had a 9ft. Cabelas Whuppin Stick(heavy) with a Shimano Thunnus cl 8000 Baitrunner reel. I had 20lb. Trilene Big Game on the 11ft. and 17lb. Cajun Red mono on the 9ft. I could do A lot with these rods as far as bait and lure fishing go.
This year I switched to a Penn Fierce2 10ft, with a Penn Fierce2 8000 reel made for braid(a lot of braid) I can easily hit over 100yrds. with this using 2 1/2oz- 3oz. lures. I also bought an Ande Tournament Surf 9ft. and a Penn Fierce2 4000 reel which can hit 70yrds. plus with 2oz.lures with braided line.
I just wanted you to know what I was using so when I tell you what I'm casting for lures you have a better idea how I'm doin it.
I make my own jigs , I cast 1 1/2oz. 2oz. and 2 1/2oz. (with a DO-it Mold) and fish these on an incoming tide, Herring patterns and Sand Eel patterns are working best this year( check my profile page for pics of these jigs)
On outgoing tides I'm using a lot of stuff very quickly so hang on.
On the 10 ft. I have Savage Gear Sand eels in 2-3oz. in various colors , yellow and white, brown sand eel and "Murdered Out"(black) as well as my own jigs , on the 9ft. I'm using 7in. deep diving Bombers and Big Macks(20-25$ a piece. In natural Herring colors and Baby Striper patterns.
Now heres where it gets interesting, I'm casting my jigs WAYY out at first to see if there are Stripers on the edge of Channels waiting for easy meals. I am Also casting my stick baits at the top of High tide and during the first initial change over to out going, as the tide goes 2/3 out I'm back using 1 1/2 oz. jigs and fishing nearer shore(only 30-40 yrds.)out.
Now with the warmer water I'm fishing Top Water at Dead Low, The Bass are not fighting the current now and A lot are well within 100 yrds. of shore AT DEAD LOW. This means my 70-100 yrd. target at high tide is now at 35-50yrds. The spawned out fish are eating heavy now and are heading home, top water chuggers and pencil poppers in red and white, metallic blue and silver, yellow and white and purple and black from sundown to night.
I'm not too certain where you are but things shouldn't be too much different, the fish are headed home and are every where. Cover as much water as you can , I cover as much as 6 mi. in a day, fishing every 1/8mi. or less, do what ever it takes to find them then stay in that area for two days.
I don't know if this helps at all, would love to fish your area , maybe next year we could hook up. Stay with top water at dead low.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Yep they are still out there...hit Cornwall after work for a couple hours this evening by myself. Got three, including my first nice one of the year, 38 inches, 20 pounds. Every other fish I got this season was from 22-29 inches.

It rained all the way up the Thruway and I almost said f*ck it...then when I hit Marlboro it cleared up and it was a beautiful evening on the river, water was glass. Only a couple other boats out there. Pretty sure DocZ was a couple hundred yards from me when I got this one...I was shocked he didn't go for one of his lines like they usually seem to do...hey I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in while.

Hmmm..pix won't upload for some reason...
Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalGlaucoma View Post
I think Doc is onto something with the Myerson Rattle sinker. When Doc and I get together fishing, we will sometimes drift together. We are using the same bait, same rig (except sinker), and we are only about 10 yards apart (sometimes closer to throw his dog a bone or two). He will hit them, and I won't. Considering the sinker is the only difference... you decide.

Doc- I know you have a few different sinkers on a few different poles, ever notice which pole setup works better?
Clearly my poles with the rattle sinker hit more fish..........today I went out with a buddy who had regular poles and my poles hit 10/1.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Veteran Elite

Hit Cornwall this morning around 7:30 till 8pm and added another 16 to the tally..........up to 30". Today they were hitting fiercely. They grabbed and ran up often jumping out of the water. They were all hitting heading south. The best bite was at the bottom of ebb tide.........pretty quiet on all other tides. Water temp remained solid at 62.5 degrees. Around 2pm nasty thunder storms rolled in so we scooted down to just north of Haverstraw bay to wait it out. Water down there is 120 ft deep and the floor was LOADED with traveling fish but none in the 15-20 foot strike zone. After the storm the fish hunkered down on the channel floor in Cornwall bay and were slow to come up. Fish were scattered today with no solid schools but there were steady takers. Overall a good day.

Ride home in the dense fog was tough especially with an asshole in a speed boat doing doughnuts not knowing where to go and almost running into us and a few others in Marlboro.........the fog cut my night short as we decided to come in before it got worse. Just before quitting the fish were coming up across from White's in Marlboro.

Back out in the am for a 3d marathon hunting for 60 more fish.

Interesting........something is wrong with this site's pic uploading.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
Yep they are still out there...hit Cornwall after work for a couple hours this evening by myself. Got three, including my first nice one of the year, 38 inches, 20 pounds. Every other fish I got this season was from 22-29 inches.

It rained all the way up the Thruway and I almost said f*ck it...then when I hit Marlboro it cleared up and it was a beautiful evening on the river, water was glass. Only a couple other boats out there. Pretty sure DocZ was a couple hundred yards from me when I got this one...I was shocked he didn't go for one of his lines like they usually seem to do...hey I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in while.

Hmmm..pix won't upload for some reason...
Awesome.........congrats.....
Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Official Member

I've been out Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings and have been doing great in the newburgh area on the west side.but this morning I was out from 530 to 11am and it was very slow.I don't know if anyone else noticed the evening is better than the morning or if another wave of fish are going to come down.I wanted to go out this evening but it looks like rain.so it will probably have to be tomorrow morning but I hope it's nothing like this morning was
Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Season ended wendsday for our crew, tallied 214 fish, 30 going 30 to 38 inches and 28lbs. Lots of juvenile fish out there, I think the slot is having a huge difference on numbers, also not as many fisherman due the new rules. We fished rock plant above Marlboro to Cornwall, first time I've seen actual spawning at high noon. Good luck to guys still out, Doc, go get 500.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 AM
Veteran Elite

Added 4 more today..............larger fish all in the low 30in range. Had to cut out early to get the other boat out of Catskill. Running back down now. Water temp just above the Newburgh Bridge was 66 degrees.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Hey BahaMan, I don't know jack about shore fishing Newburgh other than I wish I was there This season, but we did rather well up in Albany.
I was fishing an 11ft. Tsunami rod and Shimano Spheros SW10000 reel for the last two years, I found it to be a bit much and didn't need all that rod, I also had a 9ft. Cabelas Whuppin Stick(heavy) with a Shimano Thunnus cl 8000 Baitrunner reel. I had 20lb. Trilene Big Game on the 11ft. and 17lb. Cajun Red mono on the 9ft. I could do A lot with these rods as far as bait and lure fishing go.
This year I switched to a Penn Fierce2 10ft, with a Penn Fierce2 8000 reel made for braid(a lot of braid) I can easily hit over 100yrds. with this using 2 1/2oz- 3oz. lures. I also bought an Ande Tournament Surf 9ft. and a Penn Fierce2 4000 reel which can hit 70yrds. plus with 2oz.lures with braided line.
I just wanted you to know what I was using so when I tell you what I'm casting for lures you have a better idea how I'm doin it.
I make my own jigs , I cast 1 1/2oz. 2oz. and 2 1/2oz. (with a DO-it Mold) and fish these on an incoming tide, Herring patterns and Sand Eel patterns are working best this year( check my profile page for pics of these jigs)
On outgoing tides I'm using a lot of stuff very quickly so hang on.
On the 10 ft. I have Savage Gear Sand eels in 2-3oz. in various colors , yellow and white, brown sand eel and "Murdered Out"(black) as well as my own jigs , on the 9ft. I'm using 7in. deep diving Bombers and Big Macks(20-25$ a piece. In natural Herring colors and Baby Striper patterns.
Now heres where it gets interesting, I'm casting my jigs WAYY out at first to see if there are Stripers on the edge of Channels waiting for easy meals. I am Also casting my stick baits at the top of High tide and during the first initial change over to out going, as the tide goes 2/3 out I'm back using 1 1/2 oz. jigs and fishing nearer shore(only 30-40 yrds.)out.
Now with the warmer water I'm fishing Top Water at Dead Low, The Bass are not fighting the current now and A lot are well within 100 yrds. of shore AT DEAD LOW. This means my 70-100 yrd. target at high tide is now at 35-50yrds. The spawned out fish are eating heavy now and are heading home, top water chuggers and pencil poppers in red and white, metallic blue and silver, yellow and white and purple and black from sundown to night.
I'm not too certain where you are but things shouldn't be too much different, the fish are headed home and are every where. Cover as much water as you can , I cover as much as 6 mi. in a day, fishing every 1/8mi. or less, do what ever it takes to find them then stay in that area for two days.
I don't know if this helps at all, would love to fish your area , maybe next year we could hook up. Stay with top water at dead low.

FyshhTrap
Thanks for taking the time to reply on the question of casting plugs. Good info. I will give it a shot.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Elite

Another tough day due to the wind and waves but got another 7. We hit the water at 4am and most of our fish were caught before 8am north of Marlboro. Cornwall had nice marks but no takers. Water Temp was 64.7 degrees. My buddy had a large fish on but the 25lb new flouro leader snapped. It seemed the the fish had swallowed the hook and cut the line with his teeth.

Leaving to go back down for the night bite....just pulled my Catskill boat.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Got in a few fish for the last day of my 2015 season. Thanks guys for all the help, advice, and fun banter! Managed 4 schoolers and then a 36.5" male that went 22 lbs! What a rip. All caught on worms by Hyde park. Fwiw a buddy said that two cows in the 40" range were caught last eve and had a ton of eggs in em. Temps were 66 when I left today cause the cross tide and boat triffic. There still out there!!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Friday night was my last hurrah. Picked up a few in the first 2 hrs right south of bridge in Newburgh. West side in 38'. Landed a lot of really small ones this year and lost bate like mad to them. But did get a nice 36"/24lb to finish off the season. Almost bumped into the bridge pulling it in. Think I'm finally getting the hang of this (after 5 years) and hope to give back more next year.

Tried to upload a photo but can't get it to go.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

This might have been my last Hudson trip for the season. Once I saw those jet ski's at 8:30am, I knew it was over.

I started fishing out of Haverstraw, hitting points and marks on the GPS from earlier this season. For some reason I could not get the FF working, so I was drifting bw's blind. I started losing some by some rocky cliffs, one little one didn't get away. I fished there 8-12.

Then I drove up to Newburgh and launched at 1:15 hoping to hit the last hour of the outgoing. I trolled for about 1hr, but got bogged down with these weeds. Then for the only actual "striper" part of the report: I found a nice mid 30" striper by Cornwall area... though not alive. It's tail must have been lunch for the birds. Who's not using circle hooks? I drifted some BW's around until 4 and no more luck. I'm thinking to myself why I thought these stripers would be hungry in the middle of the day with only a few clouds.

When I got back to the ramp I found out why my fishfinder was having problems, good thing because I almost threw it into the water. See pic 2.

Hopefully gained some more knowledge for next year... Heading to CT to follow the run and start some summer fluking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flathead Catfish.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	29689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transducer.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	29697  
Closed Thread