Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetarp View Post
ok. tyvm. I heard it was length of daylight too for herring but I didn't put it together with the herring hitting sabikis @ 50 until now.
none of this is an exact science obviously ..... back in 2012 i was fishing with fresh herring on 3/20 and it was in the 70's.

no fish that day but it was an early season and not many fish were caught after 5/1

the other monster influence is rain ..... an inch of rain turns the river brown and we lose almost a week of fishing

on top of all that the fishery has declined ..... i used to always experience a stretch of 4 or 5 days with an all out bite and double digit catches every one of those days. I haven't experienced that in many years. I always blamed it on weather, cold water etc but after having a few seasons with ideal conditions and the fishing was still off i now buy into the statement that the stock is down

after all that i'm ready to get off the computer and into the boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Striper Hunter

heard of a couple herring being caught in the main river with a scap net yesterday afternoon near Hudson area!!!!hopefully can get time to go myself this week sometime.im siked my season has officially begun.lol.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:17 PM
schweinhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by needice View Post
heard of a couple herring being caught in the main river with a scap net yesterday afternoon near Hudson area!!!!hopefully can get time to go myself this week sometime.im siked my season has officially begun.lol.
They're out there. Just not in numbers yet. Persistence will pay off.

Largest: 42"
Most in a day: 12
Most in a season : 43

Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM
absolute trophy hunter

Well said ship of fools
Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 PM
First Mate

So I did a little jigging in the esopus today and another fella came up behind us to jig also. We started about 5 minutes ahead of the other fella yet he had his ten herring and left before my partner and I had three. We asked him what color he was using and I tried the same, along with several other colors of sabiki. We also tried with and without a stoolie on the bottom of the sabiki with little luck. I caught one on a green and one on a red. Not sure what my partner was using but what gives? Anybody have a tip or secret to share so we don't get outdone by the pros?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
schweinhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
So I did a little jigging in the esopus today and another fella came up behind us to jig also. We started about 5 minutes ahead of the other fella yet he had his ten herring and left before my partner and I had three. We asked him what color he was using and I tried the same, along with several other colors of sabiki. We also tried with and without a stoolie on the bottom of the sabiki with little luck. I caught one on a green and one on a red. Not sure what my partner was using but what gives? Anybody have a tip or secret to share so we don't get outdone by the pros?
A couple years ago I was up a creek struggling as multiple people came, filled up and left. An older gentleman noticed me struggling, putted over and asked to look at my sabiki. He told me to cut off the tassels and wings. Boom. Limited out in a minute after that. I'm not sure if it was situational, but if they're around I haven't had an issue since.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
A couple years ago I was up a creek struggling as multiple people came, filled up and left. An older gentleman noticed me struggling, putted over and asked to look at my sabiki. He told me to cut off the tassels and wings. Boom. Limited out in a minute after that. I'm not sure if it was situational, but if they're around I haven't had an issue since.
So essentially a little bit of color (bead) and a hook? Any chance you could post a quick pic of how you trim/modify your setup? I do have a few sabikis with no wings or tassle. Just an alternating red or green piece and small goold hooks. Wally something brand...
Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 AM
schweinhund

Quote:
So essentially a little bit of color (bead) and a hook? Any chance you could post a quick pic of how you trim/modify your setup? I do have a few sabikis with no wings or tassle. Just an alternating red or green piece and small goold hooks. Wally something brand...
You got it. All I did was trim the tassels and or wings as short as possible with my pocket knife.
Wally Whale is all I use now. No need to modify those. I've never had an issue with it. I also put a stoolie or something shiny on there.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 AM
absolute trophy hunter

I've totally had trimming the wings make the difference as well as colors sometimes. On tough bites the stoolie on the bottom seems to always produce when it's tough. Sometimes when your down there you just gotta be in just the right spot. Often jig in off one side of the boat or another makes a big difference.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Are the herring actually biting the rigs or are they just getting foul hooked? The guys i see on the Poesty remind me of the old days of snagging chinook salmon ..and browns and rainbows
Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Tyee

Seems like when the water is cold or off colored they prefer a more of a finesse approach, or very little jigging, when the season is in full swing they're not as picky, but little to no feathers is what I do better on, and red hooked sabikis always out perform for me personally, get em at cabelas, tsunami is the brand and the smaller the better even tho the shad tear them up, c u all Saturday n Sunday, good luk
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Rdubyaj.....the bait shop in Hopewell is definitely closed!!! A shame, now I need to go to Wappingers to Vinny's to get my bloods. I don't go after live herring, don't have the time, but is there a place I can get them live??
Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Ooopster. I don't know of anywhere around my way of getting live herring. Vinny usually has frozen or bloods. He was out of bloods as of Monday always worth giving him a call first. I'm dedicating the day with a buddy to find herring tomorrow. You can try jigging them down at the Wappinger creek or get a scap set up on the main river. I'll be up and down and all over tomorrow! Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Striper Hunter

the catfish off bard rock today were acting like they were starving for chunk herring or something -wow- bait barely touched the bottom and whamo. had one run that took 75% of my spool before I could get it, and the millisecond my finger touched the pole, he found something else to do.

..then everything went dead. nothing touching nothing. I have heard that is the moment when the big mother stripers have moved in and everything else runs for their lives. so I stood right by my poles for 30 minutes. was stone dead from that moment (an hour into rising tide-2:20pm) onward. gonna let the weekend pass and return Monday after the water temp makes a move.

edit: I just realized this is the herring section
Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Official Member

What's the story on the Posty? Putting in Alb tomorrow, should I go north or south?
Closed Thread