Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 AM
OLDBLUE

Tried scaping out in the river around Germantown had no luck and seen not a one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Striper Hunter

yesterday went out 2 spots- wappingers and highland. Wappingers a couple of guys set up next to me were catching short stripers 2 schoolies and one looked 20". They caught em on bloods. I tried scapping herring all morning and not a follower in sight. Moved across the bridge to a productive spot and searched for herring there as well. Not a follower in sight. An older gentleman looked like he was trying for herring as well and he mentioned just last week they were around. Water is cold I know because I was wading out in the shallows and also muddy thanks to last nights rain. It felt good to get out and play with the equipment and cast again for the spring. Weather permitting I will try again tomorrow. Anyone know anything about the "bait shop" in hopewell off 376? I saw the signs followed them and knocked on the door no answer. Looks like a old fishing graveyard building up. I wanted to see what they actually had for bait and what they charged. 11am on a Saturday not open? Idk any info please post
Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

tried stoolie out of the New Hamburg boat yard but rain made a short trip of it. No followers..but got the boat in the water so I am very happy! As to the bait shop in Hopewell, only time I ever was lucky enough to find it open, I was pissed with what they called bait. Smallest bloods I ever saw. Consider yourself lucky they were closed , lol.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Hit ALL my spots, Corning Preserve to the Fed. Dam. Nothing, not one follower, deep or shallow, incoming and outgoing tides. West side of river.
They"re moving like a herd of turtles.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Fished Albany to Troy on Friday caught a few cats no bait and didn't mark much
Old 04-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Official Member

Went for a coupe hours with one of my sons. Hit a small stream access where it dumps into the Hudson in Chelsea, used to go there all the time with my old man, years ago.

Saw a couple really small herring, so since we were there....... threw the net a couple times. Hauled up one 4 incher in about an hour and a half, needless to saw, back it went! Would call it a waste of an evening but, time spent on the water with one of the kiddos is no waste. Especially having spent time talking about grandpa.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMotorcop View Post
Went for a coupe hours with one of my sons. Hit a small stream access where it dumps into the Hudson in Chelsea, used to go there all the time with my old man, years ago.

Saw a couple really small herring, so since we were there....... threw the net a couple times. Hauled up one 4 incher in about an hour and a half, needless to saw, back it went! Would call it a waste of an evening but, time spent on the water with one of the kiddos is no waste. Especially having spent time talking about grandpa.
Perfect! That's what it's all about. I read a quote at the new bass pro shop in Bridgepoet CT that went something like this... "most fisherman spend a life time fishing without realizing it's not the fish they are after". Fishing has made me realize that my dad is my best friend and that quote damn near brought a tear to my eye when i first saw it. Even the boat we fish from was given to us by my grandfather and now that he is gone I cherish what he gave us, which is way more than just a fishing boat.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMotorcop View Post

I had an hour conversation with my son a couple a days ago who is now 26 yrs.old and lives in Las Vegas. He brought up the time we were out camping/fishing and it rained so hard as we were trying to get things into the truck, soaked to the bone and laughing, He was 13 yrs. old at the time that happened. Memories.!!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
Perfect! That's what it's all about. I read a quote at the new bass pro shop in Bridgepoet CT that went something like this... "most fisherman spend a life time fishing without realizing it's not the fish they are after". Fishing has made me realize that my dad is my best friend and that quote damn near brought a tear to my eye when i first saw it. Even the boat we fish from was given to us by my grandfather and now that he is gone I cherish what he gave us, which is way more than just a fishing boat.
I say it all the time... catching fish is a bonus! whether solo or with good company, any time spent on the water is worth it!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Official Member

The herring were not in the Poestenkill as of today. They were in depleted numbers on Sunday the Third, hope for warmer weather. Give the Stripers about 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Striper Hunter

no herring in the Germantown area in the mainriver.not a thing a friend told me.he tried for about an hour.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Striper Hunter

I was in Kingston yesterday, breifly tried two spots. nothing I think as soon as we get some sunshine for a few days in a row they should be here
in numbers. I have been wrong before lol
Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Striper Hunter

when things come to a standstill like this, will the stripers stay longer into june? (when they do eventually come) -or possibly run extra thick for a shorter period of time? the water is still 42 in alb.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetarp View Post
when things come to a standstill like this, will the stripers stay longer into june? (when they do eventually come) -or possibly run extra thick for a shorter period of time? the water is still 42 in alb.
Things are not at a standstill .... it is just not time yet.

In a "normal" year the herring show up Mid April .... regardless of water temperature. With those early herring there are some bass with them. This happens even when the water is cold .... a lot of it has to do with the length of daylight. At that point more and more herring and bass begin to arrive.

Everyone seems to say that when the water hits 50 the fish show up but I have caught fish in Mid April when the water was in the low 40's and seen years where it still wasn't 50 in late April but there were tons of fish here. The big thing that happens around 50 degrees is the herring will hit the sabikis more consistently so all of a sudden everyone has fresh, lively bait and as a result the fishing improves.

Keep in mind the river can go from 40 to 50 in a few days of heat. Well those fish are swimming up from North Carolina and can't transport themselves.

Keep in mind their whole purpose in coming here is to spawn .... so once the water hits mid 60's they do their thing and head south. It takes some time for the eggs to mature but in no way are they behind schedule this year.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Striper Hunter

ok. tyvm. I heard it was length of daylight too for herring but I didn't put it together with the herring hitting sabikis @ 50 until now.
Closed Thread