Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedick View Post
hudson river tribs are covered by the marine registry when targeting migratory fish from the sea.and which tribs on the hudson wouldnt be subject to tides?

What license do I need to fish the tributaries to the Hudson River?

• If an angler is fishing these tributaries for species other than "migratory fish from the sea," they need a freshwater fishing license.
  • If an angler is fishing these tributaries for "migratory fish from the sea," (such as striped bass, hickory shad, blueback herring, alewife) they will need to enroll in the recreational marine fishing registry.
  • If an angler is fishing these tributaries for both "migratory fish from the sea" and other species, they need both a freshwater fishing license and enroll in the recreational marine fishing registry.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetarp View Post
okay,.. so now im armed with my registry confirmation number, so today im headed down to bard rock in hyde park to jig a (10) herring out of the creek that dumps in there. I saw a post that said theyre at the bleachery in wapp. i'm not going to lose my mind if I fail today, mainly just a forward recon for today --if I can produce some herring that would just be gravy.
I've been checking the tribs across the river (west side) near there the past few days, but ain't seen nothing yet. The tides aren't cooperating with my work schedule, though, I suppose I shouldn't expect much activity around outgoing low tide.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Official Member

Saw a video of someone using a stoolie on the Rondout Creek. Looks legit.

I've seen people doing this before, however, it may be the earliest I've seen this work.

Check it out:

http://www.noreast.com/postedreports...ate&daysold=30

There's only one more week to go. I may try to get out next Saturday to get some bait for Sunday. I may also try my luck with a Sabiki Rig.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Im not all that surprised there are herring this early. I think 2012 was a similar winter to what we had this year. It was also a heat wave in march. There were herring in the poughkeepsie area on saint paddys day which was on a Saturday. I fished the following weekend when it was warmer then 80 degree and didnt see anyone catch stripers in the beacon area that weekend.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info on the tributaries guys, I just didn't want to see someone get jammed up for not knowing the regs! Apparently I was told the wrong info. Fish on!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Official Member

My buddy gave me 2 herring he got from the postenkill, wen there this am and had 3 followers, spooky n darted away from net...be popping nxt week
Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks guys for the info,herring should be in albany area going to check this weekend.keep ya posted !
Old 03-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Striper Hunter

I saw an ad for dead **salted** herring yesterday--does that actually work? all I can think of is a brief salty twinge to the surrounding water that would vanish in about 45 seconds? (lol)----any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Stay away from salted herring. I've never had luck with them and I've heard nothing but negative things. Fresh dead cut bait is what you want if you choose to fish chunked bait. Chances are that while your near the waters edge fishing with some packaged salted bait, you could probably throw a stoolie and get some fresh live ones right then and there.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:38 PM
OLDBLUE

Tried to scap some herring on the river around Catskil this afternoon with no luck.I like to scap were I fish and get poles out right away I don't like to go jig them up at near by streams and have to put them in 5gallon bucket try to get back to the river as fast as possible even with my livewell it's a pain.So hopefully by next Friday I can scap in the river were I fish good luck to all!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripercorey1122 View Post
My buddy gave me 2 herring he got from the postenkill, wen there this am and had 3 followers, spooky n darted away from net...be popping nxt week
Can't use nets in postenkill
Old 03-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Striper Hunter

I usually get a few from the creek near Albany to start off. After that the herring are easy from the river. I agree it is a hassle to transport live.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Striper Hunter

zero herring at crum elbow creek, zero herring at bard rock creek, stayed until high slack was over at 3:30. nada. conditions were decent as far as I could tell- ...---except.... it was really, really cold this am,..(30's) I think that put them to sleep. I admit I got antsy, but now that I got that out of my system, im waiting until the water warms up or I hear about a local herring bonanza. I think a few groups got active when it hit 80 earlier this month and that's what ppl have been seeing here and there
Old 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Managed to jig up 3 herring in the esopus today. Coulda had a few more but they got off as I tried to get them into my kayak. They were biting pretty good up until high tide, then it completely turned off. All in all a good day on the yak and now I really cant wait until friday!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Official Member

Put in at Schodack Island SP this afternoon, sunny, upper 40's, no wind, water temp 44 , very low tide, 2 ft. visibility, flat calm, nobody else out, virtually nothing on the fish finder, no bites on a nightcrawler in 4 feet of water, boat ran good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	26394  
Closed Thread