Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
So, i did check out that link and you are correct, we can transport.
My friend, a commercial netter, one of very few, is allowed metric tonnage and had problems in the past with the "grey area" concerning legality of transpotation, got so pissed at NYS, DEC. Felt it was easier to transport fresh dead and basically told me it was illegal to transport live. Because I rarely use live herring and unless i catch them , this what was told me made sense. Im very sorry for any misinformation that i posted earlier about transporting, and very glad a great member of this forum "REEL FORCE" was able to quickly rectify this.

So if I catch herring in a creek. I can keep them alive. Put them in my vehicle and transport them to the hudson?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glusk7 View Post
So if I catch herring in a creek. I can keep them alive. Put them in my vehicle and transport them to the hudson?
Yes - as long as you stay within the transportation corridor. So you couldn't catch one outside of the corridor and then bring it to the Hudson or catch one in the Hudson and take it to the Sacandaga and soak it for large pike
Old 03-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Good luck this year

Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Official Member

I keep hearing about people getting ticketed for striper fishing. People just can't wait til the 1st I guess
Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM
First Mate

I went scouting for herring with a nine inch super shad, i cut the hook off and bent the hook wire round, also had my fishing and marine liscence on me.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I went scouting for herring with a nine inch super shad, i cut the hook off and bent the hook wire round, also had my fishing and marine liscence on me.
See any herring up here yet Stephen? Btw it was nice meeting you the other day! Lol
Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfishional View Post
See any herring up here yet Stephen? Btw it was nice meeting you the other day! Lol
nope , not a thing Vic, did you catch any thing?
Old 03-22-2016, 03:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfishional View Post
nope , not a thing Vic, did you catch any thing?
Still catching smallmouth and the occasional walleye. I noticed the past few years I stop catching them when the herring start moving in. Hopefully another week...
Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 AM
First Mate

[IMG]q as by[/IMG]Wheen the herring move into the river, they move through the locks all the way to lock 8 on the Mohawk and past, fishing is terrible thru june with larger Pike size lures, ie.. spinnerbaits, large sticks, plugs etc..
When they leave , the rivers are full of baby herring!!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I keep hearing about people getting ticketed for striper fishing. People just can't wait til the 1st I guess
I called the dec to register in the marine registry---I couldn't believe the sales pitch I got. "you need a freshwater licence, a saltwater licence, and ANOTHER licence of some sort." im estimating a total cost of over 200 bucks worth of paper. I told him all I want was to register in the marine registry. he pitched me a freshwater licence -again!!---I said the newspaper said all I needed was to register, and that it was free, so that's what I want to do. I wouldn't have picked up the phone otherwise. he FINALLY broke down and took my name, etc. JESUS!!!! ny state is such a money grubbing wh&re anymore its disgusting!!! I think a Colorado fishing licence was like,.. 9 bucks? here it's like what?--75, 80??? pathetic!!

okay,.. so now im armed with my registry confirmation number, so today im headed down to bard rock in hyde park to jig a (10) herring out of the creek that dumps in there. I saw a post that said theyre at the bleachery in wapp. i'm not going to lose my mind if I fail today, mainly just a forward recon for today --if I can produce some herring that would just be gravy.

my question since I never jigged a herring successfully before is.... can a tiny silver mepps spinner with no hair on it be used/ will a herring go for it? I resharpened the treble on it, so all I need is a bump, cuz I heard they will just rub it for a millisecond and run. I just need to know if anybody ever had any luck with a teensy-tiny (1-1/2 inch overall length) silver hairless mepps spinner.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Elite

Next time register online............no hassles and free.

I use a sabiki rig and cast it out for herring..........works great.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetarp View Post
I called the dec to register in the marine registry---I couldn't believe the sales pitch I got. "you need a freshwater licence, a saltwater licence, and ANOTHER licence of some sort." im estimating a total cost of over 200 bucks worth of paper. I told him all I want was to register in the marine registry. he pitched me a freshwater licence -again!!---I said the newspaper said all I needed was to register, and that it was free, so that's what I want to do. I wouldn't have picked up the phone otherwise. he FINALLY broke down and took my name, etc. JESUS!!!! ny state is such a money grubbing wh&re anymore its disgusting!!! I think a Colorado fishing licence was like,.. 9 bucks? here it's like what?--75, 80??? pathetic!!

okay,.. so now im armed with my registry confirmation number, so today im headed down to bard rock in hyde park to jig a (10) herring out of the creek that dumps in there. I saw a post that said theyre at the bleachery in wapp. i'm not going to lose my mind if I fail today, mainly just a forward recon for today --if I can produce some herring that would just be gravy.

my question since I never jigged a herring successfully before is.... can a tiny silver mepps spinner with no hair on it be used/ will a herring go for it? I resharpened the treble on it, so all I need is a bump, cuz I heard they will just rub it for a millisecond and run. I just need to know if anybody ever had any luck with a teensy-tiny (1-1/2 inch overall length) silver hairless mepps spinner.
yes you can use that spinner, I"ve caught them bymistake with them, If you use a sabiki rig I believe One bottom set of hook must be cut off.
I use a small Castmaster on the bottom clip for casting from shore, then I clip off two, this way you are NOT targeting shad by attaching a dart for weight and herring will also hit that lure. or just attach a small sinker.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
yes you can use that spinner, I"ve caught them bymistake with them, If you use a sabiki rig I believe One bottom set of hook must be cut off.
I use a small Castmaster on the bottom clip for casting from shore, then I clip off two, this way you are NOT targeting shad by attaching a dart for weight and herring will also hit that lure. or just attach a small sinker.
thanks man. I didn't see ANY herring at all. was nice down there, though. saw a baby muskrat. I just threw down an order for 2 sabiki rigs.

just how do you fish a sabiki rig? just cast/ stop / start /stop/start?? id say the pool where the herring lay at the creek mouth is about 7-10 feet deep at low tide. it shallows out to about one foot where I stand. actual vertical jigging (like from a boat) is impossible.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Just take the sabiki tie on some weight on the bottom end and cast it out and real it in with some jerking motions not too hard though herring have fragile mouths simple really
Old 03-22-2016, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetarp View Post
thanks man. I didn't see ANY herring at all. was nice down there, though. saw a baby muskrat. I just threw down an order for 2 sabiki rigs.

just how do you fish a sabiki rig? just cast/ stop / start /stop/start?? id say the pool where the herring lay at the creek mouth is about 7-10 feet deep at low tide. it shallows out to about one foot where I stand. actual vertical jigging (like from a boat) is impossible.
Dicks sporting goods has them along with just about every fishing shop near the river. you"re gonna proly want more than 2 as they tangle badly if not stored properly, I use a round stick of foam and wrap them around it then put that in an old papertowel cardboard. They are fished like jigs representing small shrimp that they feed on, use a smaller size on the river , I use size 8 in chartruse, stay out of the pool if you can or just use a bb size split shot to keep it from dragging bottom, if herring are there they"re in the river also.
Closed Thread