Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-17-2016, 04:46 PM
teamslaphands teamslaphands is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: wappingers falls
Posts: 16
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

also heard the alewives are pretty damn big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17  
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM
McDragon McDragon is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 50
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Just go herring catching. It's a ball on ultra light tackle and sabiki rig.

  #18  
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 219
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubert View Post
Saw some myself in Greene. Damn this April 1st nonsense.
welcome to NYS,
 
  #19  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is online now
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 701
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Buddy of mine saw herring in the Postenkill yesterday.
__________________
2017 Stripers = 22
2017 Largest = 31"
2016 = 696/52" (Hudson 461/40")
  #20  
Old 03-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Glusk7's Avatar
Glusk7 Glusk7 is online now
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Newburgh, New York
Posts: 28
Default

Saw herring in the wappingers creek by the bleachery the other day.
  #21  
Old 03-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Coachpgast215 Coachpgast215 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Gansevoort
Posts: 1
Default

If we don't have nets to catch live herring, where in the Albany/Troy area can we get them live? That's even if you can.
  #22  
Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 PM
lureboy17 lureboy17 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Latham
Posts: 101
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

I was in Troy yesterday and today didn't see herring in the creek either day
  #23  
Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 PM
lureboy17 lureboy17 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Latham
Posts: 101
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Coach when the herring are here heavy you can jig them right from shore
  #24  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 219
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachpgast215 View Post
If we don't have nets to catch live herring, where in the Albany/Troy area can we get them live? That's even if you can.
use a stoolie, ( a stoolie is a large plastic Super Shad bait), they are about 9 in. long, you can get em single or in packs of two for a couple of bucks, cast those out from shore. Herring will follow them in, curiosity, now cast out your Sabiki rigs for fresh Herring.
  #25  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Reel Force's Avatar
Reel Force Reel Force is offline
First Mate @ Ace Charters
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington Co., New York
Posts: 751
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
use a stoolie, ( a stoolie is a large plastic Super Shad bait), they are about 9 in. long, you can get em single or in packs of two for a couple of bucks, cast those out from shore. Herring will follow them in, curiosity, now cast out your Sabiki rigs for fresh Herring. You cannot transport Live Herring, so unless you know of a bait shop ON the river that legally nets them, you"re doin it yourself.
Yes you can Transport them over land...

Three defined overland transportation corridors were designated for the purposes of allowing the transport and use of uncertified baitfish by anglers in specific areas of the state. The three overland transportation corridors are intended to primarily serve anglers fishing three major water bodies: the Lake Erie-Upper Niagara River; the Lower Niagara River-Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River; and the Tidal Hudson River. To protect against the spread of fish diseases into uninfected waters through the use of baitfish, uncertified baitfish are only allowed to be used on the same body of water where they were collected within these corridors.


Transportation of Personally Collected Baitfish within an Overland Transportation Corridor

Personally collected baitfish taken from a water body within an overland transportation corridor may be transported within that corridor. These baitfish may only be used in the same water body they were collected in.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...hrcorridor.pdf
__________________
Upper Hudson River Fishing Club
  #26  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 219
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
Yes you can Transport them over land...

Three defined overland transportation corridors were designated for the purposes of allowing the transport and use of uncertified baitfish by anglers in specific areas of the state. The three overland transportation corridors are intended to primarily serve anglers fishing three major water bodies: the Lake Erie-Upper Niagara River; the Lower Niagara River-Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River; and the Tidal Hudson River. To protect against the spread of fish diseases into uninfected waters through the use of baitfish, uncertified baitfish are only allowed to be used on the same body of water where they were collected within these corridors.


Transportation of Personally Collected Baitfish within an Overland Transportation Corridor

Personally collected baitfish taken from a water body within an overland transportation corridor may be transported within that corridor. These baitfish may only be used in the same water body they were collected in.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...hrcorridor.pdf
thats good to know , I was told by a bait dealer last year(he nets his own) he couldn't transport his bait live, maybe I heard him wrong,but he didn't sell live either. I know I"ve been to places in Kingston years ago that sold live for $2.00 a piece, yikes, a sabiki and a bucket works for me, thanks for clearing that up, I hate giving bad info, rather be safe than sorry,And that post was edited.
  #27  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:36 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 219
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

So, i did check out that link and you are correct, we can transport.
My friend, a commercial netter, one of very few, is allowed metric tonnage and had problems in the past with the "grey area" concerning legality of transpotation, got so pissed at NYS, DEC. Felt it was easier to transport fresh dead and basically told me it was illegal to transport live. Because I rarely use live herring and unless i catch them , this what was told me made sense. Im very sorry for any misinformation that i posted earlier about transporting, and very glad a great member of this forum "REEL FORCE" was able to quickly rectify this.
  #28  
Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 PM
teamslaphands teamslaphands is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: wappingers falls
Posts: 16
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

the live herring was an issue of certified bait. When they made the transport corridors it simplified the transport law. Even If you sold live herring at a normal baitshop. They have to be completely separated from all other live aquatic bait.
  #29  
Old 03-20-2016, 04:12 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 219
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Just comming back from Albany, Corning Preserve area and 1mi. Past I-90 bridge, casted a 9" super shad hookless stoolie.... and.....nope no herring, i didnt go to the Poestenkill, but usual herring spots, enjoyed the day and my coffee. We still have a week !!!
  #30  
Old 03-20-2016, 04:35 PM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 572
Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Checked the Posty at high tide today, low and clear, no fish in sight.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
2016, herring, reports, tracking

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Herring Tracking Reports bassinbrian Hudson River 194 05-29-2015 09:28 AM
proposed hudson river herring regulations nda The Striper Forum 0 06-01-2012 06:43 PM
Herring ON Decline - ASMFC threatens to Close all States by 2012 jerseystriper Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News 2 04-12-2010 03:53 PM
NJDEP Nabs Poachers jerseystriper The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame 1 07-09-2009 09:53 AM
North Carolina WRC declines herring Moratorium CaptainMorgan! North Carolina - Interior 1 04-07-2006 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise