Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Jigged bluebacks today at HH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 03:40 AM
Striper Hunter

My fishin bud would have been unable to function on mon Six at a time in the net but no runs hits or errors,going to get tougher now
Old 05-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey guys -
I am pretty novice on the Hudson and the surrounding areas, I have to questions:
1 what/where is HH?
2 I would like to trailer up north to try the herring part of the river. I would like suggestions for a good launch ramp (9W side preferred) with decent parking and not too challenging (trailering is not a strong skillset for me)
Thanks

Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAHA MAN View Post
Hey guys -
I am pretty novice on the Hudson and the surrounding areas, I have to questions:
1 what/where is HH?
2 I would like to trailer up north to try the herring part of the river. I would like suggestions for a good launch ramp (9W side preferred) with decent parking and not too challenging (trailering is not a strong skillset for me)
Thanks

HH = Henry Hudson Park ... located in Selkirk/Bethlehem, nice launch, very busy on weekends.

Catskill (Dutchman's Landing) has a nice launch and large lot.

There are many other places , a lot of small ones. I'm not familiar with places south of Catskill.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Thank you Brian. Very much appreciated.

Anyone else, please chime in.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:34 PM
schweinhund

Dutchman landing is probably your best bet if you're not great with a trailer. Lots of room

Personal best: 42"
Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Damn near impossible to stoolie herring this morning. I was north of kingston and forgot my sibiki rigs. Is anyone else having a hard time with bait around the kingston/Saugerties area? It seems like the nice weather scared them off. I figured they would be spawning like crazy with these warmer days. Any ideas? I gave up after 3 hours.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Damn near impossible to stoolie herring this morning. I was north of kingston and forgot my sibiki rigs. Is anyone else having a hard time with bait around the kingston/Saugerties area? It seems like the nice weather scared them off. I figured they would be spawning like crazy with these warmer days. Any ideas? I gave up after 3 hours.
SAME here to the north ... didn't see a single follower, and water color/depth were perfect . So went out and they were easy to jig anyway.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:00 PM
schweinhund

I'm a bit north of there but it was the same situation up by me. Two of us busted our ass to scap up a couple. When we went from 25fow out there was one huge school after another. Had no issues jigging them up. Don't forget your sabiki!

Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Baha man,

Albany has good access from 787 and a good launch. Rensselaer looks good but it is gravel lower down, I saw some people struggling with front wheel drives at low tide.

Schodack island is good but getting through or around Hudson might not appeal to you.

Avoid Hudson, tricky to get to and launch from.

HH is nice but as said, can be busy. That's more of a walk to the truck problem than a congestion problem at the ramp.

I have avoided everything between HH and catskill because they are, or appear to be, smaller and tighter from the descriptions.

There's nothing worth mentioning north of Albany and Rensselaer.

I could be missing something
Old 05-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
I'm a bit north of there but it was the same situation up by me. Two of us busted our ass to scap up a couple. When we went from 25fow out there was one huge school after another. Had no issues jigging them up. Don't forget your sabiki!
I seem to always forget something. Unfortunately it made for a fishless trip. Still was a beautiful morning either way. Any thoughs on what caused the herring to go deep and stay away from shore? The past 2 days there were some around to catch.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM
schweinhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
I seem to always forget something. Unfortunately it made for a fishless trip. Still was a beautiful morning either way. Any thoughs on what caused the herring to go deep and stay away from shore? The past 2 days there were some around to catch.
I'm not sure. I only tried to scap before and as the sun was coming up. I couldn't tell you if it got any better from shore as the day went on. It was pretty chilly out. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Striper Hunter

What's the best method for jigging up the herring??

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:17 PM
schweinhund

A sabiki rig. Preferably with no wings of tassels. My go to is the "Wally Whale". Use whatever weight is necessary to get it down. I like to put a stoolie on the end of mine for an extra attractant. I can't give an exact depth or location in the water as it changes. If you're in a boat use your electronics.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony325 View Post
What's the best method for jigging up the herring??

Thanks for the help.
I'm kind of a noob but I do it differently than people I watch and I get better results than I see when I watch others.

I jig the sabiki rig from my boat straight down. I jig it in short continuous pulses, perhaps 10" pulls, probably less than 1 second per pulse; or as long as it takes my 3 ounce wait to fall back down the 10". I don't cast unless I'm shore fishing, in which case I do the same pulsing as the weight drops through the water.

I jig all through the water column from 10' down, starting at the bottom for less than a minute, then reel up 5' for a minute, then up 5' again. I'm rarely jigging for more than a couple minutes.

I've seen people struggling around me, both on shore and on boats. I start jigging and in a few minutes I catch a few herring for folks or catch them a bunch. Reds have worked earlier, greens later; greens are generally better especially when visibility is better.

I don't use the frilly rigs and I don't add a larger attractor to it as I see some people do.

I haven't been using my live well since I seem to be able to catch them at will.

Hope that helps!
Closed Thread