Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Beginner with a cast net

I'm just trying to get an idea of the best size cast net to use. I'm 55 and 6' 235lb so I do have some strength but heard it's all in the technique. I keep hearing 6' or 8' so I was thinking of just going with a 7'. Will be using for catching shad, alewives, etc... in freshwater lakes. Don't want something so big that I just can't get it to spread right. Any recommendations on a good net for the money would be appreciated also, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Beginner with a cast net

I have 3 sizes. 4', 6' and 8'. I bought the 8' first and realized throwing a net was harder and more tiring than expected. So i purchased a 4' and learned how to throw it, because of its small size I got it to work immediately and realized my flaws and helped me focus on my setup a bit more... Transferring this info to the 8' I was getting the net to open and to catch bait 80% of the time.. Recently picked up a 6' and have been on 100% even getting some distance away from the boat/pier.
I relate this all to learning with the smaller net first. (iirc it was less than $20 @ walmart) It was the best thing for me.

good luck.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
I have 3 sizes. 4', 6' and 8'. I bought the 8' first and realized throwing a net was harder and more tiring than expected. So i purchased a 4' and learned how to throw it, because of its small size I got it to work immediately and realized my flaws and helped me focus on my setup a bit more... Transferring this info to the 8' I was getting the net to open and to catch bait 80% of the time.. Recently picked up a 6' and have been on 100% even getting some distance away from the boat/pier.
I relate this all to learning with the smaller net first. (iirc it was less than $20 @ walmart) It was the best thing for me.

good luck.
Thank you for that! I've been leaning towards a 6 footer and that's probably what I will get. I'd much rather be able to use a smaller net and get a nice spread on my throws than a bigger net and crappy throws. And I think a 12' diameter ought to be plenty big enough to catch the baitfish I will need for the day. Yeah 6 footer it is.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Official Member

I am 6 feet tall and 45 yrs Just bought a 6' this summer - Size net doesn't catch em it's the quality of the throw that does the trick- Practice til you have that pancake and you'll get them easily - I can swing the 6' over a 4 foot wooden railing - much bigger than a 6' and that might be tough. Nothing like live bait -Happy Casting!