Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Official Member

Default Getting Started

I am new to the forum and new to Striper fishing.

I am fishing in a freshwater reservoir that has been stocked with stripers that averages 30 ft. deep with max depth of 60 ft. There is quite a bit of rocky shore and some shore that is sheer vertical bluff. There are some coves that have standing timber.

Water temp is in the low to mid 80's right now and fairly clear.

There is a good population of shad in the lake that are running from 10' - 20' right now.

So now for my first question : What type of areas should I be concentrating on and what depth ?

2nd question: Is trolling the best method this time of year ?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I appreciate any tips or help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Getting Started

Welcome!
I don't do that type of fishing, but my guess would be to find a spot where the shad run where they can be ambushed easily. Somewhere where they might be pressed together, or the near mouth of a stream they may swim up if there is one. Currents and structure = good. If the shad are running 10 to 20 feet deep, personally I'd try 15 to 20 feet. But, like I said, that's not the type of striper fishing I'm exposed to, someone who fishes in a spot like yours probably has better info.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the tip on structure & current and thanks for the welcome !!!

Are you saltwater fishing ?

What kind of structure do the stripers prefer ? ( Humps, brush piles, rocky bottom, ect... )

Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Yes, I fish saltwater, and basically where I fish, all there is for structure is rocky ledge. Hopefully someone who fishes a location like yours can be more help than I am.