Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Embedded hooks: to remove or not... the science

John Foster, Recreational Fisheries Coordinator for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, studied striped bass at Chesapeake Bay. His researchers held throat-hooked stripers between 16- and 28-inches long for observation in half-strength seawater so that hooks had ample opportunity to rust away. Size 1/0 and 2/0 stainless steel, bronzed, nickel, tin and tin-cadmium hooks were hooked in the top of each fish's esophagus, with an 18-inch length of line connected to the hook.
After four months, 78 percent of the hooks were still imbedded. Cadmium coated hooks poisoned 20 percent of the fish, and production of these hooks has been stopped. Bronzed hooks were less likely (70%) to be retained than tin-cadmium (80%), nickel (83%), or stainless steel (100%) hooks.
In a second test, the line was clipped at the eye of the hook, as advised by most existing C&R guides. One-hundred percent of the stainless hooks were again retained, while 56 percent of tin, 76 percent of bronze, 84 percent of tin-cadmium, and 88 percent of nickel hooks remained. Fish mortality was greater when all line was trimmed. Foster theorized that the lengths of line hanging from a fish's mouth kept the hook-shank flat against the side of the esophagus and allowed food to pass. Without the line, food could move the hook and close the throat.
Hooks rusted slowly in stages, and the bend and barb became smaller very gradually. Stripers formed scar tissue around imbedded hook points, a typical reaction of body tissue to foreign matter. Foster noted, however, that once the tough scar tissue formed, hooks became more, not less, difficult to remove. Months after fish were hooked, infections sometimes developed around points, causing some deaths.
Based on his research, Foster recommended anglers carefully remove even deeply imbedded hooks. If the hook can not be removed, then it seems better to leave about 18 inches of line attached.
Carry strong wire-cutting pliers. Cut off protruding barbs in the throat and the hook shank falls free easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 09:38 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Very informitive post Jim, something we all as fisherman have to deal with..
Old 07-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hmm,, I've got a good sized pair of long handled wire cutters somewhere that I'll have to throw in my bag for snipping barbs off for easier removal. It kills me to leave a hook in a bassy if it can be avoided.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Lunker

OK. so heres a question.. say its 2 am.. you're in a very remote spot and you've got a 26 incher (2 inches under legal here) and you can not get the hook out.. its been 10 minutes and hes beat up and not very active anymore. do you eat him so as its not a total waste or throw him back with a size 6 or 8 hook in his throat? pretend theres no danger of getting caught. it hasn't happened to me.. i don't catch that many fish.. lol. .I'm just wondering whats the lesser of two evils.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

It's pretty simple, you dont spend 10 minutes getting a hook out,taking pictures or anything else,can you live 10 minutes without oxygen????

That fish will be long dead....

Whenever you have a deeply hooked fish,you must evaluate as quickly as you can, wheather you can get the hook out or not,then make a decision on wheather to remove it or leave it,if the hook doesnt come out in 2 attempts,revive the fish and set it free,let nature do it's thing...
Striped bass are pretty hardy creatures,the study is good for basic knowledge,but I would tend to believe that a wild fish in pure salt water would have a survival rate a bit higher than a captive fish...

Ive caught many healthy fish with multiple hooks in them, as well as large plugs and even 5 oz drails!

the law is the law, all undersized fish must be released if we are to have a future fishery...we all as fisherman have a respsibility to treat the resorce we fish on with respect...that means using ethical practices of capture and release..there's no doubtt that we all kill a few fish inadvertantly each season.... but i know I do everything in my power to release them alive and unscathed.....

these are my opinions and as allways I could be wrong!
Rock
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

P.S.

Size 6 or 8 hook are for trout

I'm sure you meant 6/0 or 8/0 :shrug:
Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

This is a great post! Looking back on the other night Roc, especially after reading this, I think I may killed a Bassy. It was up top, almost to the throat. I, like Roc, quickly assess the situation and a decisions whether to try to remove the hook or not. I decided not too, because I felt the Hook-Out tool would gag the fish. Just where the hook was positioned, and the size of the fish, I had no "lee-way" to work to the tool. I snipped the eels snout to get it off the hook, and released the fish. He bit down on my thumb, which is usually my indication of "ready to go". Hoever this fish slowly drifted off.

Now I wish I had atleast tread to pull that thing out.

A guy a know says he knows of a "totally ingenious" invention that his buddy came up with to remove hooks, even if they are deeply embedded. I am looking to get the info on this, as he promised he would show me. He says I will "totally surprised" and baffled by it how it looks and how effective it is. When I get the info I will post it in order to help get the word out so maybe some fish can be saved :wtg:
Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Has anyone ever tried any of these extractors?

These look pretty cool, but I don't know how well they work.

Extractor #1

Extractor #2
Old 07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
.... it seems better to leave about 18 inches of line attached
Why is that , so you will know the hook is there.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Embedded hooks: to remove or not... the science

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim
Foster theorized that the lengths of line hanging from a fish's mouth kept the hook-shank flat against the side of the esophagus and allowed food to pass. Without the line, food could move the hook and close the throat.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Striper Hunter

While I am new to this board,I am not new to fishing. My experience is mostly in saltwater. I was lucky since I was introduced to circle hooks many years back by someone who could not figure out how to use them. Now they are my first choice for anything. I even crimp down the barb. Release is so simple, as in just rotate the hook out of the corner of the mouth and after making sure they are good to go, just let go. Since I release most fish I always worried about deep hooked fish. The circles have pretty well ended deep hooking. The hardest part for most people like my friend that started me on circles is DO NOT TRY TO SET THE HOOK. It locks on without your help. Just tighten your line till you feel weight, raise your rod tip and the fight is on.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Veteran

When I was in Florida last year I bought a pair of neddlenose pliers, they were about 15'' long. they work great. they take hooks out so easy.