Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Penn 704z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcappy View Post
My bad, 2 under main gear. Thanks for the schematic!
Just double checked with Scott's and it seems the have the bushings ( 2-704) back in stock! Gonna pick up a few in case the bearings dont work out.
Good you found them. I ment to send this to you. I had checked my PMs and seen I did not. I had typed it but not sure why it was not sent. I also have another place that has some parts if you find you need something Scotts does not have, I can PM if needed. I think they just got those bearings because I checked them last week or so and I think they were out of stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Those bushings did pop out fairly easily. I have two on the bench now. One I used for eeling earlier in the summer was a bit rough to reel I now know why. the shaft was slightly bent causing the spool to rub a bit, cost me a rotor cup. Fortunately I had a spare.

Question there is a small pin inserted where the handle shaft goes through the body. It appears that is was used as a stop or something to that effect for the flanged bushings. Is the pin neccesary. If I can find flanged bearings or a one way needle clutch to insert in the shaft can i fill that hole or thread it and install a flush hex screw?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
First Mate

I'm not exactly sure of what you speak but is that the oiler? The oiler is on the part of body that goes out to the handle(top side) and has a small bearing in it that is used to oil the handle shaft

Bear with the pic as I just used one I had on my PC arrow is pointing to oiler. You might see it as a small rust colored spot click on picture to enlarge and then click on pop up picture again
or try this http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/at...4&d=1258510162 it should have a magnifying glass to enlarge an area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penn 704z just got.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	12234  

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

I'm actually thinking of sealing that off with some Lab-metal. Don't see much use for it. As far as placing a needle bushing in the handle part of the housing, i don't see that doable. If you think about it the flange on the bushing acts as a spacer and protects the main housing from any friction caused from turning the handle. Flanged bearing is the way to go there i think.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Pro Staff

it is the oiler. That I am talking about didn't know it was the oiler but now I do.

As far as the needle bearing goes. I see what you are saying with handle friction Flanged bearing would be the way to go.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
it is the oiler. That I am talking about didn't know it was the oiler but now I do.

As far as the needle bearing goes. I see what you are saying with handle friction Flanged bearing would be the way to go.
This is why I thought of switching to bearings. I figured if I improved my Abu 6600c with bearings why not the Penn 704z. Don't forget the bushing for pinion also. With new reels that claim 5,6, or what ever bearings all they have essentially done is replace spots that used bushings with bearings and made a much smoother reel. Not to mention they also use very cheap bearings and parts unlike these Penns. I have only briefly taken my reel apart when I got it to do drag, cleaning and grease/oil. From that and looking at the several drawings/schematics I ahve I new I could greatly improve. I may even go a step further by milling abit to install ball bearings instaed of needle if poss. I won't mill out unless I'm 100% sure it will work and improve as I cant undo that except with sleeves or new custom or milled bushings/bearings. They are not really needed so i wont take out to much material as the spots are low speed points unlike in conventions which spin a very high rate of speed. I'm actually surprised with a good cleaning and oiling how good a stock Penn is, with bearings they should be as smooth as a baby's bottom.
I won't be doing my reel for a few more weeks as I'm still using it. This will be one of my winter projects, will also be drilling, painting, ad also looking at some ways to improve drag more than installing better washers and an extra one. Maybe by milling spool abit and installing larger diameter washers. Might as well go as far as I think I can with it. I will share everything I find out and do. Will also try to picture the process
Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Ordered some needles from VXB. 8mmx12mmx10. Thought the size was 7mm, found a 7mm bearing and didn't fit so i went with8mm. Needles were relatively cheap,needle-3.95,clutch needle-5.95. Found a good website Dynaroll.com for the flanged bearings. No pricelist on the web so i ordered a catalog.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Not able to edit...........lol Will try to use needle by the pinion but the bottom of those teeth will grind it up so might have to place a flanged bearing on top of it, they're only 3mm long. Or maybe skip the needle and put flanged on top and regular bearing inside to cover 10mm in length thats needed!Hmmm Trying to find a sleeve bushing for the spool(Dynaroll).

Last edited by rjcappy; 11-18-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Let me know what you are looking for as we deal with some companies that have everything under the sun. SOme of the things I can get are not sold outright as they are made for specific designs owned by some of the companies we deal with. I can buy them with an agreement I won't sell them, they are supposed to be used for the specific purpose they are made for but oh well, close enough. As long as I don't use to make a new product they are fine with it. I also have several trays of assorted bearings from vehicles, wheelchairs, scooters and lifts we work on.
I'm not sure why you need a bushing or sleeve for the spool though as the washers lock it in place. The only way it spins on shaft is through the drag washers

Added: To be able to edit I think you need to have a certain number of posts
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Whats up Brian! There's a bushing under the drag in the body of the spool that spins when the drag peels out. Just thought new bushing should help! Anyway, i got a little play on my anti-reverse even with a new ratchet so i'm thinking a one way clutch under the pinion would give me instant anti-reverse. Thing is those teeth on the pinion gear are gonna grind the main housing or the bearing housing, depending on how deep i push the needle in. That bushing has a groove on top that those teeth ride on. You'll see that when you take it out. So i'm thinking of using a flanged bearing for those teeth to run on and still use the clutch needle underneath to help out with the anti-reverse. Dynaroll had long sleeved flanged bearings but in larger size only. We need 8x12x10(metric) for the pinion, and a bit longer in the handle. If you know a place to get that brother, were in! BTW I checked out Mikes and those custom Abu's are awesome! I'm thinking with Christmas coming up..... why not! The blue 7000 w/ that stainless handle is a jewel!

Last edited by rjcappy; 11-18-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling........
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcappy View Post
Whats up Brian! There's a bushing under the drag in the body of the spool that spins when the drag peels out. Just thought new bushing should help! Anyway, i got a little play on my anti-reverse even with a new ratchet so i'm thinking a one way clutch under the pinion would give me instant anti-reverse. Thing is those teeth on the pinion gear are gonna grind the main housing or the bearing housing, depending on how deep i push the needle in. That bushing has a groove on top that those teeth ride on. You'll see that when you take it out. So i'm thinking of using a flanged bearing for those teeth to run on and still use the clutch needle underneath to help out with the anti-reverse. Dynaroll had long sleeved flanged bearings but in larger size only. We need 8x12x10(metric) for the pinion, and a bit longer in the handle. If you know a place to get that brother, were in! BTW I checked out Mikes and those custom Abu's are awesome! I'm thinking with Christmas coming up..... why not! The blue 7000 w/ that stainless handle is a jewel!
Those reels are awesome. I had spoke with more than one person that had got a Blue and love it. Mike's don't mess around. I won't be in till next week some time to check my trays. If I don't have something then I will make a couple calls. In the mean time I may just open the reel up and take a peek as I may be able to come up with something. I think with the anti-reverse, the play is natural w/ these reels. I will look at that also, I should have remembered that but it was a long day of ripping up 1/2 bathroom floor repairing a leaky cracked toilet and cutting out some old drain pipe to replace w/ PVC and a new closet flange. I had the toilet in and out 3 times till I realized the crack. I hate working in tight bathrooms

Also instead of a flange bearing for the pinion why not go with a regular bearing and a stainless washer, isn't the bushing non flanged? again I will take a peek
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Also instead of a flange bearing for the pinion why not go with a regular bearing and a stainless washer, isn't the bushing non flanged? again I will take a peek
Yea it's a straight sleeved bushing but on one end (top) it has groove,very small, that the bottom of the pinion teeth ride in. It'll make more sense when you look at it! My buddy just picked up a Greenie from e-bay. ( I talked him out of getting a VanStaal..........lol)
Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Got my needles and caliper last night. Correct measurement for pinion bushing 8mmx11mmx10mm,the only bearing i could find was 8mmx12mm. Had to mill 1mm out of the housing to make it fit but it worked! The one way i also ordered is not a one way but that was for the handle so it can wait. If you guys want to use reg bearing, just mill 3 or 4mm in the housing so it lays inside, i'll prob do that on the other reel, too late for this one! Ordered some bushings and main gear. When i get those i will measure bushings for the handle and post. Seems to be 33.5mm long. I'm thinking 22mm long one way needle in the middle with two flanged bearings on both ends! That would make it a 5 bearing reel! lol My girls away with the camera, i'll post some picks on wednsday!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Pro Staff

Cappy what did you use to mill the housing. Did you use aluminum cutting paste?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

No Jack, i was on my couch with my Dremel tool. I had a grinding stone that was the same size almost and couldn't wait. Used the low setting and started to take some stuff off(out)while trying to hold it straight and after some time of grinding and trying to slip the needle in,in she went. I didn't grind all the way through,left a little space at the end to use as a stopper so the needle will never slip through. I also placed a copper washer 9mmx12mm in between the pinion gear and the needle bearing so there's no grinding.