Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Default Treble Hooks??

Please Help if you will
I need to purchase a mess of treble hooks to rehook a bunch of lures I got at a garage sale. I have been looking around but I'm not sure what hooks to use. I have done a few of the older metal lipped Repalas with some Owner Stingers I have but don't want to do them all with them due to cost.($8+ per 6) I have a few questions and so you know I'm talking around 30 lures(saltwater)

1. What brand hook do you like and what would you use? Keeping cost in mind. Most will be between 1 and 4/0 I'm thinking VMC packs of 25 hooks. I saw some plain jane 25 pack Mustads that I did not care for(am I wrong?) Maybe I need to buy the expensive hooks, what you think

2. Can I cut the eye on a VMC closed eye hook to put on a lure without a split ring? The folks at the outdoor store said I could but was not 100% sure. I needs to know

3. A few of the lures are unused, most of the unused lures are older Rebels and Repalas. I usually would not trust the older hooks as the newer ones are much better. Would you change these hooks?

4 Actually I also got around another 20 freshwater lures. I have a bunch of VMC Barbarian and Gamekatsu hooks that I think I will use on these. Do you agree with this?

5 From what I understand Gamekatsu kind of raised the bar on hook quality when they started selling hooks in the states. I think some companies still produce cheap(quality) hooks.
I have the impression that VMC is a good hook at a reasonable price-Am I wrong with this impression of VMC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Treble Hooks??

VMC's are good hooks. It's OK to cut the eye at the base of the loop and bend it open to slip it on the swivel. Be prepared to break a few in the process. You can use either a good pair of side cutters, or a dremmel with a cutting disc. Many folks just bend it back closed and leave it at that. Some folks take the extra step to solder it closed again.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Treble Hooks??

VMC 4x

Cut em near the eye,and use the biggest set of linemans pliers you can find to bend em open and bend em closed. The bigger and stronger the pliers the less chance of slipping and slashing open your finger or gouging the hell out of the plug.

Get of HKP 16" bolt cutters at Homies, $16, to do the cutting