Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default fishing with clams part 1

in the question about clams. some people have an offensive smell to them genetically. your fingers have oils in them that (in some people are more prominent) and also absorb minerals and chemicals throughout the days and weeks. (some of which take time to escape your skin) guitar players collect copper/brass/iron oxides on their digits and this stays for a long time even when they're cleaned with abrasive soap as it is in the skin and is emitted when you sweat and exert them. construction workers/roofers/glaziers/duct mechanics/ all have a chemical and or mineral which is absorbed into the fingers. i fished with a friend who worked all day and bought the same clams as i did and we fished together. i used non latex rubber gloves which i scrubbed through the clam i first opened and rubbed off any contaminants may have been on them. i continued to put them on (as i always do) and fish. i caught ten bass that night and my buddy didn;t catch a one (yes he did - i got 2 keepers on at once and i let him catch a fish with one of the two rods i was fishing with. he washed his hands he said and just plain could not believe he was not getting a fish. nothing about his rigs/gear/presentation/ was different with the exception his hands had to have had some protein/bacteria/chemical/mineral/ or something the bass picked up on. so call me excentric but you really have to put merit into this as like i said, some people just have fish hands (like roc) and others have bad BO. .

now, leave all the clam in tact if you are using fresh clams in the shell. invest in a clam knife and shuck the clam open starting at one point in the side wiggling the knife in between the two shells, and then working it back to to hinge in both directions to unseat the membrane holding it closed, and turning the knife side to side will accomplish this. open it and run the knife under and along the membrane attatched to the outer part of the shell (which is a long rubberband looking membrane which is on upper and lower shell) and unseat the muscle from both top and bottom shell. then point the knife down along the bottom of the shell and from one end to the other unseat the pericardial cavity from the rear of the clam in tact and the whole clam is now in your hand.
if you are tying elastic line on your clams that too should be dipped in some clam shell to have no smell immediately tipping off the fish to it;s presence. running the hook through the visceral meat of the clam as if you were threading on a worm and then placing the yellowish tougher membrane on the hook last will keep iT on the hook longer. there is an elastic thread at the bait shop to buy and worth using as it will keep the clam on the hook throughout the cast. rubber bands will have a scent to them as when they are manufactured they put a powder on them to keep them from sticking to each other. (don;t remove the mantle/siphons muscle material surrounding the shell) hook them on the point of the hook last and weave them on so they too keep the clam on longer. in some cases i seldom use the elastic line to tie them on. the adductor muscles are just a waste and will fly off - there are two of them which look like scallops. you can leave them on and wind thread around them but it makes no difference as the elastic line you use should go around the shank of the hook and around the clam a few turns toward the bend of the hook, and down around the front of the tough membrane on the point and pull down onto the bend of the hook a few turns leaving the hook exposed. then wind it a turn or two just beneath the hook eye and back around the bend and up the hook shank and tie off just below the eye. some guys wind this stuff 20 times around the clam and squeeze the daylights out of it to get more of the juices flowing out, but this clam will not stay fresh for very long that way and will not look all that natural but will work as the smell is what they pick up on first and it is food. (if the bite is good it is fine to do)some people shun leaving the hook point showing as it may be a deterrent to the fish but your initial run will be the first opportunity to nail her with the j hook, but the circle hook point will not be a factor {till it is too late and she is hooked}. if it is spit right away not to worry as any subsequent hit or run is liable to be her or a different fish vying for the same bait, as it may spit it getting spooked by another fish or to avoid confrontation with another fish - or to get whatever shells are on it off before she inhales it. a quick pick up and drop you will know it. let her come back for it. if it runs with it and takes line (and here is where clams excell - if you fish a baitrunner reel it is okay as you can detect the hits correctly but a spinning reel is plain hard to not have a fish feel the tension on the line when it picks up the bait. by opening the bail and putting your middle and ring finger on the spool and pinching down on the line using your thumb and index finger allowing the line to feed out of your fingers you will now get a feel for the bite and can intuitively know when to close the bail and set the hook with a j hook. or using the circle hook lift up on the rod as you feel the weight of the fish and then by lifting the rod gently you will feel the weight of the hooked fish. a slow and steady cast and not a herky jerky one is the key to not disturbing the bait too much. remember, the bass come close and not always out in timbuktoo. the clam will remain fresh for at least 15 or 20 minutes and then i change it. as it gets waterloged it loses it's potency and is harder for the fish to find. they will pick up on it;s scent from far away but need to zero in on it so give it at least a 20 minute stay or even a half hour if you are low in bait but be prepared to use alot of bait and that goes for bunker/herring/shad/or any other fish and that bait should be changed every 10 minutes. the hook is personal preference. a circle hook is ideal as it will hold the clam on better. a 7/0 or 8/0 is great for the larger clams on the market and you really need that hook point sticking outjust a little bit. the clam should be tied in a fashion that the meat is ran thruough the hook with the intent of keeping most of the meat to the back of the hook shank and not in front where the hook point is and will somewhat inhibit the circle to find it;s mark initially but not totally. when a fish picks it up you ever so slightly rear up on the rod and let the weight of the fish hook herself. the first opportunity to hook the fish comes now as if it is not hooked the first time the clam will have been pulled down to the bend of the hook and lodge itself into the point of the hook. the hook will turn in it;s mouth again after it is picked up a seconf time and the hook should find it;s mark but the mass of the bait is now in the way of the point of the hook which because there is some tied line on it, it is sometimes pulled down along with the clam and can inhibit the fish's jaw from catching the point in some cases. and also the least jump or jerk of the rod can pull the hook. this is hard to learn when all you know is j hooks and setting thier jaw into a 40 degree popeye cocked position. a bass will pick that clam up right away with fluorocarbon leader and not feel the hook point on a circle hook as fast as a j hook (and in the event of a short fish / a safer method of fishing as it can be released quite unharmed as the point 95 percent of the time catches the fish in the jaw.;( which i will venture circle hooks will be a law in our waters targeting anadromous fish like stripers come the next 2 years) THIS IS NOT IN THE ORDER I WOULD HAVE PREFERED IT TO BE AS IT SPEAKS OF THINGS SOMEWHAT OUT OF SEQUENCE BUT I AM SURE YOU WILL GET THE JIST OF WHAT NEEDS TO BE ACCOMPLISHED HERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: fishing with clams part 1

?

Very nice.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Nice post Paulie.
One other thing that I used to do was to keep the live clams in a bucket of saltwater.
This will toughen them up for the hook.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they don;t usually last that long. anyway, i put some fresh in the fridge like that for a rainy day. like late march before the shops open.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Official Member

the part about the hands and the oils you emit on the bait makes a hell of a lot of sense. I repair golf clubs, caddy and play golf most of the summer when I was fishing and friends and other salty vets on the beach always caught way more fish than me while I was using the same clams from the same shop with the same gear. I seldom had time to really wash my hands thoroughly, and never wore gloves. good tip
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

try this coming season and see how it pans out. glad you took notice. a load of crap to some but it is a fact nevertheless