Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Official Member

Default Advice.....small reel with braid or large reel with mono?

Hello! I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma fishing for stripers in the Arkansas River. I'm very new to fishing for striped bass. I started last year. And so far it has been a blast! Thankfully the internet and youtube have a wealth of info to help me learn how to catch these guys. But I still have a lot to learn.

I’m currently using a very inexpensive fishing rig….Berkley 7’ Cherrywood Medium Heavy rod and an Abu Garcia Cardinal S40 with 8lb mono line. While my rig has a bit to be desired here and there, it has served me well thus far. I have landed a couple of 15 pounders. And I have hooked a few good size ones that got away for one reason or another. BTW, when I hooked one of those 15 pounders, it swam for about 100 yards or so before it ran out of gas. Watching my spool just unwind with little or nothing that I could about the situation was somewhat frightening! But it was also very exciting! It would be nice to feel like I have a little control over the situation though.

Small reel with braid or larger reel with mono? This is one of the questions that I am currently pondering. I fish from the bank. I also have to walk a bit to get to my fishing spots. And these fishing spots at times put me standing in water up to my waist. So a lighter, smaller rig is appealing. But I also find myself wanting to go fish with the “big boys” down below the dam from time to time. This generally means long rods with lots of fishing line. So do I update my lowly 8lb mono to 20lb braid? Or do I purchase a larger reel (50 or 60) and put on 17lb mono? I like using the 8lb mono when targeting smaller fish. So the larger reel solution is appealing. But standing up to my waist in water with a small brick of a reel sounds exhausting. I also want to toss a slightly larger plug (around 1 ounce) than what I am currently tossing (3/8 ounce).

I predominately fish topwater. Why? Because any time that I go with a bucktail or jighead, I almost always get snagged on a rock on the bottom of the river. This has been very frustrating. I scoured the internet trying to find info on how to not get snagged. I haven’t found much that made sense to me. So I’m still searching. If anyone has any words of wisdom, please do share. Otherwise I will probably just stick with topwater. Besides, there is nothing more exciting than hearing the big kersplash of a large striper hitting your lure. Right?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Advice.....small reel with braid or large reel with mono?

Hi there and welcome to the forum! In my opinion, you really should be going with BOTH. Using a higher lb test line on your small reel will not solve your problem of an insufficient drag system, which appears to be evident from your story. A larger reel with a more robust drag will be able to provide the stopping power that you're looking for with a higher test line. I think 20lb test braided line would be perfect for your type of fishing, but you need to have a drag that can keep pace.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the advice. I went out Saturday morning. Caught a 2-3 pounder on a 7/16 oz Bass Pro Shops topwater plug. My day ended like it has several times before. I went to cast and.......SNAP!!! My plug went flying into the river. Thankfully I'm using cheap plugs! But it still sucks to throw $4 into the river.

I know for a fact that this was not my bail closing or a rough spot on a guide that is causing this. I am of the opinion that this is due to line fatigue......line stretch from the plug being jerked around in swift water for a couple hours. This was enough to motivate me to change.

After some internal debate, I bought some 20lb Power Pro braid and some 20lb Triline mono. But I stuck with my lowly Garcia Cardinal S40 for now. After all, it is really best to change one thing at a time when trying new things. And the drag of the S40 is sufficient for me to learn to fish with braid.

I wound on some mono backer. Tied it to the braid using a double uni knot and wound on the braid. After reading several sources on the net, I decided to go with no leader. I tied my plug to the braid with a Palomar knot. BTW, all these knots are all new to me. So don't crucify me if these aren't the best knots to use.

Sunday morning I headed out just before daybreak. Wow! With hardly any effort the plug soared through the air! I was sold! All my fears are now pretty well gone. No problems with wind knots. No skin scraped off my finger by the braid. In fact, I have thrown mono so hard before that mis-timed release really caused the line to pop off my finger and really hurt! So the fact that I didn't have to throw so hard was just awesome.

I did have two problems though. First, I didn't catch anything on the plug that I was throwing. I honestly do not thing that it had anything to do with tying braid directly to the plug. I also don't thing that the plug itself was the problem. I only saw one striper strike the top of the water that morning. So I just think that they weren't in the area that morning. Not the first time I have been skunked by the stripers.

So I decided to tie on an 8lb leader and try to throw a small jig head in another part of the river. I tied on the 8lb leader because I knew that I would get snagged sooner or later and wanted a leader that could be easily snapped off. And after a few casts, I indeed got snagged. So I tugged on it like usual, and my line snapped much easier than usual with 8lb mono. I expected to see that my leader had let go. But what I discovered baffled me a bit. The braid was broken off cleanly. Hmmm??? I know that area well from when there was almost no water in the river and there is no metal in there, just rocks. Could a rock cause braid to snap so easily?

Another question.....what's the largest size plug I should be tossing with this rig? When I get around 1/2 ounce, I start getting gun shy. Feels like something is going to break.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV74 View Post
... Could a rock cause braid to snap so easily?

Another question.....what's the largest size plug I should be tossing with this rig? When I get around 1/2 ounce, I start getting gun shy. Feels like something is going to break.
Hi there,
Yes, braid will be cut pretty easily by a sharp rock. This is another reason to use a leader of decent length to help ensure that the braid doesn't make contact with anything sharp.

As far as maximum plug weight for your rig, of all the components of the rig you've described, the rod itself is going to be the most limiting factor in that regard. It's rated for a lure weight of 1/4 oz - 1 oz. As with most inexpensive rods, that's probably a pretty generous rating and 1/2oz to 3/4oz is probably a more realistic max lure weight.

In my opinion, that rod is really better suited for fresh water pan fish than for striper fishing. If you do happen to hook up with a decent sized striped bass on that rod you'll quickly see what I mean. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider using it for striped bass,,, period. It's like showing up to a battle armed with a pen knife when your opponent is wielding an AK47.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

I know there are some pigs in the AR river, and you want your chosen rig to be able to handle any situation that presents itself.

Save the LMB rods for LMB,,, striped bass fishing is a whole different ball game.

Example ...

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Official Member

What part of the Arkansas River in Tulsa are you fishing? I fish it from time to time when I'm in the area and have caught quite a few nice ones as well. Here's what I use when I'm fishing down there. I use a 7ft MD Rod paired with a baitcast reel. I usually have either 12LB or 14LB mono tied on. I've tried braid in the past, but it doesn't hold up too well to the rocks. Plus, if you get hung up, it's impossible to break and you have 30 yards of braid floating the river. I throw a lot of top water as well, but there are times when they just aren't interested in hitting the top. Last time I was down there, I threw top water for an hour without a sniff. Then I switched to a swim bait and caught 10 in 10 casts. I also like to throw big plugs, because I can cast them a mile out into that current. Bigger line will allow you to make these casts without breaking off.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Official Member

Well, the big boys won the battle today!

I was throwing top water as usual. After about 1/2 hour of throwing a Super Spook JR., I was beginning to wonder if I was ever gonna get a hit when.........something big hit! The fish didn't hit very hard. It was taking line like crazy. I had to tighten down the drag quite a bit to even start reeling this thing in once it had tired out. Then as I was reeling it in........it got off! Needless to say I was very disappointed as this was a nice fish (15+lbs). My forearm was pretty tight from the fight. But I wasn't deterred.

I decided to try throwing my Rebel T10 minnow to change things up. It was no time before I got another good hit. And it was definitely a nice striper as I saw his tail when he took the bait under. Half way through the fight........it got off too! Frustrating!!! I brought in my T10 and the hooks were bent up pretty good. Now I understand why guys change out these hooks. Tonight I went and got some Gamakatsu hooks that visually are much stronger and I swapped them out. So hopefully this doesn't happen again.

I did finally get something on the hook this morning. Up the way from me I saw stripers hitting all over the place. So I waded up to where they were and began casting my plug. It wasn't long before I got a hit. They weren't the biggest fish (2-5lbs range). But they are so much fun to catch when they are hitting the top water like they were this morning.

Jake, thanks for the words of advice and wisdom. My sore forearm is telling me that I am gonna need to get a bigger rig in the near future if I wanna keep chasing big striper. I'm living and learning and having a good time doing it! And since we are sharing pics, here is me with the 16lb striper I caught with 8lb mono and my lowly LMB setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	21457  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Official Member

Nice report, that's an awesome fish! I actually made it down to the Arkansas Saturday morning and managed about 17 fish. The school I found was pretty small. I threw topwater for about the first hour or so and couldn't manage a hit. Switched to a swimbait and it was on. Biggest fish I managed to find was just under 3lbs. I've had trouble locating the bigger fish this year. Last year, the spot I was fishing consistently held fish in the 4-10lb range. This year they don't seem to be there. I covered quite a big stretch of river, throwing under every ripple I could get to. Thought I might eventually find a decent fish, but couldn't manage. Thanks for the reports, I may run into you sometime down there as I like to fish it on the weekend mornings.