Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Official Member

Default Reteaching Myself The Basics. Help Appreciated.

Hi everyone. So I am trying to reteach myself some the basics of Surf fishing. I was taught by my neighbor back when I was a pre-teen (I am 27 now), and while I had success (Biggest thing I ever caught was a 38 inch striper on a 15 foot pole off the surf when I was around 13), he left a lot to be desired in terms proper gear setup.

My fishing spot of choice: near Seaside Heights, NJ

All my reels are spinning reels, with my main reels being 1st series Shimano Baitrunner 4500's on 9-10ft poles with 17-20 lb line.

Bait and rigs of choice: Trophy Hi-Lo Rigs mated to fresh clams for Stripers
http://trophyrigs.com/products.html
Mullet rigs for blues.

Yesterday I decided to update my gear:
10 ft Daiwa Emblem-SF Surf Rod:
http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-em...-surf-rod.html

Daiwa Saltist 4500 Reel
http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-sa...ing-reels.html

I plan on getting out on the surf hopefully next weekend or the weekend after to see what I can snag with this new setup as I am anxious to give it a try.

Now as I said, when I was taught, I was small, and my neighbor didn't tell me everything I should know. I picked up a few thing here and there (proper knots and such and drag settings), but proper rig/line setup is something that has always alluded me, mainly when it comes to leaders/shock leaders and coastlocks. Please forgive my ignorance on such a basic question, but I'd rather look like a fool and ask for help then look like a bigger fool and fail because I continue to do it wrong lol.

What is best when using rigs such as these:

1- The way I was originally taught: Main line mated to a snaplock ( I have since ditched all snap locks and use coastlocks) which is then attached to the barrel swivel on my rigs. Always found this way convenient for fast changing of rigs.

2- Main line attached directly to the barrel swivel of the rig.

3- Main line attached to a shock leader which is then mated to the rig directly or by coastlock.

When is it best/necessary to use shock leaders?

I plan on using at least 3 poles when I head out in a week or 2. Probably at least 2 using hi-los with fresh clam and bunker, and one on a mullet rig, maybe a fluke rig with some fresh squid since they are killing fluke down on the shore right now and are allowing surf fishers to keep 2 16 inch Fluke after they have been tagged.

Thanks in advance for reading my newbie post/questions, and I am open to any other advice any of you may have for someone trying to relearn something that brought him much joy in his youth.

Last edited by JakeF; 07-14-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: removed street address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Reteaching Myself The Basics. Help Appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the joys of surfcasting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
When is it best/necessary to use shock leaders?
You don't mention whether you're using monofilament or braided main line, or how much weight you're adding to your rig but the point of a shock leader is that it protects your main line from the stress of the centrifugal force generated during the cast.

The lighter your main line and the heavier your rig, the more important a shock leader becomes, especially if you're using a no-stretch braided main line.

The shock leader should be tied directly to your main line with a knot that is compact enough to go through the guides on your rod smoothly during the cast (Albright knot, or a variation thereof works well if tied properly), and long enough that it is wrapped around your spool several times during the cast so that all the stress of the cast is absorbed by the shock leader not the main line.

Regardless of how much lead you're adding to your rig, with the type of rig you've described and a 17-20 lb test main line, I would definitely recommend using a shock leader.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the joys of surfcasting!

You don't mention whether you're using monofilament or braided main line, or how much weight you're adding to your rig but the point of a shock leader is that it protects your main line from the stress of the centrifugal force generated during the cast.

The lighter your main line and the heavier your rig, the more important a shock leader becomes, especially if you're using a no-stretch braided main line.

The shock leader should be tied directly to your main line with a knot that is compact enough to go through the guides on your rod smoothly during the cast (Albright knot, or a variation thereof works well if tied properly), and long enough that it is wrapped around your spool several times during the cast so that all the stress of the cast is absorbed by the shock leader not the main line.

Regardless of how much lead you're adding to your rig, with the type of rig you've described and a 17-20 lb test main line, I would definitely recommend using a shock leader.
Thanks for the great response! Definitely helps clear a few things up.

I use Mono, 17-20lb. Have 250 yards of 17lb on my new Daiwa setup. Weights vary from 3-6 pyramid/hurricanes depending on surf conditions.

How much leader would you recommend for that setup? Any particular brand (Suffix looks like the way to go)? Should I mate the leader to a coastlock/duolock or mate it directly to the barrel swivel on my rig? What lb test on the leader? I am thinking of grabbing 40 and 50lb just to keep my options open.

Will a Uni knot work for mating the leader to the main line?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Thanks for the great response! Definitely helps clear a few things up.

I use Mono, 17-20lb. Have 250 yards of 17lb on my new Daiwa setup. Weights vary from 3-6 pyramid/hurricanes depending on surf conditions.

How much leader would you recommend for that setup? Any particular brand (Suffix looks like the way to go)? Should I mate the leader to a coastlock/duolock or mate it directly to the barrel swivel on my rig? What lb test on the leader? I am thinking of grabbing 40 and 50lb just to keep my options open.

Will a Uni knot work for mating the leader to the main line?

The length of the shock leader depends on the length of your rod and how much of it you would like to have past the tip of your rod during the cast. In order for it to work like it should, it needs to be long enough that it is wrapped around the spool several times during the cast.

I'm not too partial to any particular brand when it comes to leader material. Most I've tried are pretty decent. I always prefer to tie direct whenever possible. Every piece of hardware you add to your rig is both another point of possible failure and also another place for weeds to get caught. Uni knots work fine,,,, just tie them carefully and make sure they cinch without crisscrossing. With 6 ounces of lead plus the weight of your bait, I'd go with the 50lb test shock leader. 40lb test would probably be fine with 3oz of lead, but I'm sure you don't want to have to change your shock leader if you decide to up your lead weight while fishing.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Official Member

Quote:
The length of the shock leader depends on the length of your rod and how much of it you would like to have past the tip of your rod during the cast. In order for it to work like it should, it needs to be long enough that it is wrapped around the spool several times during the cast.

I'm not too partial to any particular brand when it comes to leader material. Most I've tried are pretty decent. I always prefer to tie direct whenever possible. Every piece of hardware you add to your rig is both another point of possible failure and also another place for weeds to get caught. Uni knots work fine,,,, just tie them carefully and make sure they cinch without crisscrossing. With 6 ounces of lead plus the weight of your bait, I'd go with the 50lb test shock leader. 40lb test would probably be fine with 3oz of lead, but I'm sure you don't want to have to change your shock leader if you decide to up your lead weight while fishing.
Great info. I'll use my judgement on the amount of leader to use on my 10 foot pole. I'll also use the 40lb leader for my fluke pole.

Getting pretty excited to try out my new stuff and this new info. Got some more new gear coming in today, and going out to buy a few more things after work to get ready for Saturday morning down at Seaside Park. Sucks that none of my friends are into fishing so I have to go at it alone but what can ya do?

Thanks again for the info, I will be sure to put it all to good use.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hope you have a blast!
Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Hope you have a blast!
Thanks! I plan on it. As long as I can bring home some dinner I'll be happy. Going for stripers (the water cooled down earlier this week and there were reports of them), fluke and kingfish.