Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM
schweinhund

Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

You're better off confronting them in person when you see it happening and asking if they're aware of the regulations.
Personally I'm all for conservation, don't have a problem with the 10 herring or striper slot sizes. Although, I think gill net aside, it's silly that you can't scap in a creek. 10 herring is 10 herring. That's about on par with them saying you couldn't take "creek herring" and use them in the river or "river herring" and use them in the creek
Regardless, for those that do, it's not worth the ticket. Adapt and overcome.

Personal best: 42"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
You're better off confronting them in person when you see it happening and asking if they're aware of the regulations.
Personally I'm all for conservation, don't have a problem with the 10 herring or striper slot sizes. Although, I think gill net aside, it's silly that you can't scap in a creek. 10 herring is 10 herring. That's about on par with them saying you couldn't take "creek herring" and use them in the river or "river herring" and use them in the creek
Regardless, for those that do, it's not worth the ticket. Adapt and overcome.
The only one Im not a fan of is the herring thing. I like to refresh bait often. a fishing trip could last me an hour if i refreshed the way i like to. With that said, the ten harring rule has to be the least enforced rule in the book. A buddy of mine kept 6 herring last year at the end of the day and put them in a bag in the bottom of his bait tank. Next day got checked on the water and was nervous cause he had that bag in the boat and his limit in his tank. The guy didn't even look in the tank let alone ask how many herring were on board.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Official Member

I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayners12578 View Post
I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?
Just a guess but above the GW the goal is specifically to protect the spawning fish.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Put in at Albany today, went south, marking on the ff but they weren't biting. Fished with some frozen chunk from last week in the Posty.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM
schweinhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Just a guess but above the GW the goal is specifically to protect the spawning fish.
Exactly

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Has anyone been able to catch blue backs yet?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
schweinhund

Tons of herring in Greene today. 8 at a time in the scap net.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Guys slowly getting herring last night from shore in schodack with a stoolie and a dip net. No hits on my sabiki though.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Striper Hunter

I don't think all herring are the same. I seem to have much better success when I use blueback herring as opposed to alewives. Anyone below Albany finding them yet?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
I don't think all herring are the same. I seem to have much better success when I use blueback herring as opposed to alewives. Anyone below Albany finding them yet?
I also notice quite a bit of difference when it comes to bait. The bigger the bait the more chunks i get that's how i see it because if they get to a certain size i wont even use them live. Im assuming that the bluebacks are the smaller of the two? I may be wrong but that's been my experience.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
schweinhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2jimi2 View Post
I also notice quite a bit of difference when it comes to bait. The bigger the bait the more chunks i get that's how i see it because if they get to a certain size i wont even use them live. Im assuming that the bluebacks are the smaller of the two? I may be wrong but that's been my experience.
Ive noticed no preference over the years. The only thing I can say is the smaller they are the easier to swallow.
Bluebacks are the smaller narrower ones, but many people have trouble telling the difference between them and a small alewive . If you're chunking, you'll notice that the bluebacks have a dark body cavity.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
Ive noticed no preference over the years. The only thing I can say is the smaller they are the easier to swallow.
Bluebacks are the smaller narrower ones, but many people have trouble telling the difference between them and a small alewive . If you're chunking, you'll notice that the bluebacks have a dark body cavity.
Iv all but given up fishing chunk bait. The cats are relentless and just get too anoying for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
schweinhund

Quote:
Iv all but given up fishing chunk bait. The cats are relentless and just get too anoying for me.
Ive hear ya. I shrugged it off for a long time myself. These days I always have out live and chunk at the same time. There's been many times where the live would sit untouched all day while I caught fish after fish on chunk. Dealing with the cats and eels can be a PITA, but I feel like I'm cutting my chances by not using it.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Been having the same problem. fwiw a fella gave me a tip the other night. He suggested a typical fish finder setup, but with a 3ft leader and small float down near the hook to keep it off the bottom away from the cats and eels. haven't tried it yet, but planning to Saturday.