Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM
BUB's Avatar
BUB BUB is offline
schweinhund
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greene
Posts: 484
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

You're better off confronting them in person when you see it happening and asking if they're aware of the regulations.
Personally I'm all for conservation, don't have a problem with the 10 herring or striper slot sizes. Although, I think gill net aside, it's silly that you can't scap in a creek. 10 herring is 10 herring. That's about on par with them saying you couldn't take "creek herring" and use them in the river or "river herring" and use them in the creek
Regardless, for those that do, it's not worth the ticket. Adapt and overcome.
__________________
2017: 4 up to 36"
"Ain't no fish in this pond."

Personal best: 42"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #62  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Step2jimi2 Step2jimi2 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
You're better off confronting them in person when you see it happening and asking if they're aware of the regulations.
Personally I'm all for conservation, don't have a problem with the 10 herring or striper slot sizes. Although, I think gill net aside, it's silly that you can't scap in a creek. 10 herring is 10 herring. That's about on par with them saying you couldn't take "creek herring" and use them in the river or "river herring" and use them in the creek
Regardless, for those that do, it's not worth the ticket. Adapt and overcome.
The only one Im not a fan of is the herring thing. I like to refresh bait often. a fishing trip could last me an hour if i refreshed the way i like to. With that said, the ten harring rule has to be the least enforced rule in the book. A buddy of mine kept 6 herring last year at the end of the day and put them in a bag in the bottom of his bait tank. Next day got checked on the water and was nervous cause he had that bag in the boat and his limit in his tank. The guy didn't even look in the tank let alone ask how many herring were on board.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Hayners12578 Hayners12578 is online now
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Salt Point
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?
Reply With Quote
 
  #64  
Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Ship of Fools Ship of Fools is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 940
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayners12578 View Post
I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?
Just a guess but above the GW the goal is specifically to protect the spawning fish.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM
freddiethej freddiethej is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Averill Park NY
Posts: 59
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Put in at Albany today, went south, marking on the ff but they weren't biting. Fished with some frozen chunk from last week in the Posty.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM
BUB's Avatar
BUB BUB is offline
schweinhund
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greene
Posts: 484
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Just a guess but above the GW the goal is specifically to protect the spawning fish.
Exactly
__________________
2017: 4 up to 36"
"Ain't no fish in this pond."

Personal best: 42"
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Kirch Kirch is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany ny
Posts: 46
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Has anyone been able to catch blue backs yet?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
BUB's Avatar
BUB BUB is offline
schweinhund
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greene
Posts: 484
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Tons of herring in Greene today. 8 at a time in the scap net.
__________________
2017: 4 up to 36"
"Ain't no fish in this pond."

Personal best: 42"
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Wingnutt92's Avatar
Wingnutt92 Wingnutt92 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany
Posts: 13
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Guys slowly getting herring last night from shore in schodack with a stoolie and a dip net. No hits on my sabiki though.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Kirch Kirch is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany ny
Posts: 46
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

I don't think all herring are the same. I seem to have much better success when I use blueback herring as opposed to alewives. Anyone below Albany finding them yet?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Step2jimi2 Step2jimi2 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
I don't think all herring are the same. I seem to have much better success when I use blueback herring as opposed to alewives. Anyone below Albany finding them yet?
I also notice quite a bit of difference when it comes to bait. The bigger the bait the more chunks i get that's how i see it because if they get to a certain size i wont even use them live. Im assuming that the bluebacks are the smaller of the two? I may be wrong but that's been my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
BUB's Avatar
BUB BUB is offline
schweinhund
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greene
Posts: 484
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2jimi2 View Post
I also notice quite a bit of difference when it comes to bait. The bigger the bait the more chunks i get that's how i see it because if they get to a certain size i wont even use them live. Im assuming that the bluebacks are the smaller of the two? I may be wrong but that's been my experience.
Ive noticed no preference over the years. The only thing I can say is the smaller they are the easier to swallow.
Bluebacks are the smaller narrower ones, but many people have trouble telling the difference between them and a small alewive . If you're chunking, you'll notice that the bluebacks have a dark body cavity.
__________________
2017: 4 up to 36"
"Ain't no fish in this pond."

Personal best: 42"
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Step2jimi2 Step2jimi2 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB View Post
Ive noticed no preference over the years. The only thing I can say is the smaller they are the easier to swallow.
Bluebacks are the smaller narrower ones, but many people have trouble telling the difference between them and a small alewive . If you're chunking, you'll notice that the bluebacks have a dark body cavity.
Iv all but given up fishing chunk bait. The cats are relentless and just get too anoying for me.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
BUB's Avatar
BUB BUB is offline
schweinhund
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greene
Posts: 484
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2jimi2 View Post
Iv all but given up fishing chunk bait. The cats are relentless and just get too anoying for me.
Ive hear ya. I shrugged it off for a long time myself. These days I always have out live and chunk at the same time. There's been many times where the live would sit untouched all day while I caught fish after fish on chunk. Dealing with the cats and eels can be a PITA, but I feel like I'm cutting my chances by not using it.
__________________
2017: 4 up to 36"
"Ain't no fish in this pond."

Personal best: 42"
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Wingnutt92's Avatar
Wingnutt92 Wingnutt92 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany
Posts: 13
Default Re: 2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2jimi2 View Post
Iv all but given up fishing chunk bait. The cats are relentless and just get too anoying for me.
Been having the same problem. fwiw a fella gave me a tip the other night. He suggested a typical fish finder setup, but with a 3ft leader and small float down near the hook to keep it off the bottom away from the cats and eels. haven't tried it yet, but planning to Saturday.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2017, herring, reports, tracking

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs bassinbrian Hudson River 280 02-28-2017 10:28 PM
2015 Herring Tracking Reports bassinbrian Hudson River 194 05-29-2015 09:28 AM
Herring ON Decline - ASMFC threatens to Close all States by 2012 jerseystriper Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News 2 04-12-2010 03:53 PM
NJDEP Nabs Poachers jerseystriper The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame 1 07-09-2009 09:53 AM
North Carolina WRC declines herring Moratorium CaptainMorgan! North Carolina - Interior 1 04-07-2006 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise