Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Official Member

Default Re: What setup for drifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
Important note for drift fishermen ... you MUST pay attention to your surroundings !!

From Barges, anchored boats, bridges, submerged jetties, shallows, big floating debris ... it's no joke out there. You must be alert.

Some days you can get a nice drift going and float for miles ... other days you're getting pushed all over from the wind, maybe lots of boat traffic, etc ... it can be a pain sometimes. It's a lot more work than anchoring up.

But I love drifting.

BB
Can I assume all else being equal drifting will product more fish in the boat ?
Do most drift ? I have yet to try a drift sock but would think they would be very advantageous when the drift is toooooo fast. If I use one should I buy or make and what size for my 21cc Mako. Regarding distance would I Let then run just a couple car lengths off the boat or farther ?

I would assume that more ground can be covered drifting and hence produce more bites.

I find Doc Z's post very interesting about anything south of Kingston your wasting your time with using Herring, go bloodworms. I don't understand why ? The Herring do have to "pass" that area to get to the locks or anywhere north.

Regarding the comment about the drift sock, I have yet to one but would think they would be very advantageous when the drift is toooooo fast. Do a lot of guys use them ? If I use one should I buy or make one and what size for my 21cc Mako. Regarding distance would I Let then run just a couple car lengths off the boat or farther ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Raptor View Post
Do most drift ? I have yet to try a drift sock but would think they would be very advantageous when the drift is toooooo fast. If I use one should I buy or make and what size for my 21cc Mako. Regarding distance would I Let then run just a couple car lengths off the boat or farther ?

I would assume that more ground can be covered drifting and hence produce more bites.

I find Doc Z's post very interesting about anything south of Kingston your wasting your time with using Herring, go bloodworms. I don't understand why ? The Herring do have to "pass" that area to get to the locks or anywhere north.

Regarding the comment about the drift sock, I have yet to one but would think they would be very advantageous when the drift is toooooo fast. Do a lot of guys use them ? If I use one should I buy or make one and what size for my 21cc Mako. Regarding distance would I Let then run just a couple car lengths off the boat or farther ?

There also good to use on anchor too, especially on windy days. It will help keep the stern from swinging side to side to much. Cabela's has a size chart on there site. You will want to run it about 6 feet back.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Elite

The first wave of fish that come up the Hudson late March/early April chase the herring and will hit them South of Kingston but the second wave that comes up is from the Chesapeake and they primary feed on worms. Once a school of Striper decides to feed on a particular food you can dangle anything else in front of them and they won't touch it. Like I have said......end of April to May I have caught dozens of Striper in a day on worms while drifting a live herring untouched.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Bringing some big red night crawlers for extra bait doesn't hurt does it doc?!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
The first wave of fish that come up the Hudson late March/early April chase the herring and will hit them South of Kingston but the second wave that comes up is from the Chesapeake and they primary feed on worms. Once a school of Striper decides to feed on a particular food you can dangle anything else in front of them and they won't touch it. Like I have said......end of April to May I have caught dozens of Striper in a day on worms while drifting a live herring untouched.
Wow, that is very interesting. I have never fished with worms in the Hudson, only Herring. Do you use circle hooks or conventional "J" hooks. I have always used Gamakatsu conventional 6/0 baitholders with 2 poles. This year I was thinking of rigging one of each to compare hook up ratio's. I have always launched at the Henry Hudson public launch and stayed within an hour north and south of that launch. This year I was going to try farther south as the trailing I feel would be worth the venture. Maybe the Kingston area but have to find out where I can launch a 21' Mako. I know the river is considerably wider down their too.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
D
There is no hard and fast rule. A couple of seasons i had my big boat on the dock at Green Island with 5 or 6 charters. For the most part i anchored up because gas was expensive.

It seemed to me that early in the year the drifters did better but once the herring showed up in large numbers I did better anchoring than the charters drifting. My thought was that there were so many herring that a hungry fish could feed at will so another one drifting by wasn't any more attractive than the other herring ... but when they swim up on school of herring and they all swim away except for one poor one stuck to the bottom with a sinker they just couldn't resist.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Wow, that is very interesting. I have never fished with worms in the Hudson, only Herring. Do you use circle hooks or conventional "J" hooks. I have always used Gamakatsu conventional 6/0 baitholders with 2 poles. This year I was thinking of rigging one of each to compare hook up ratio's. I have always launched at the Henry Hudson public launch and stayed within an hour north and south of that launch. This year I was going to try farther south as the trailing I feel would be worth the venture. Maybe the Kingston area but have to find out where I can launch a 21' Mako. I know the river is considerably wider down their too.
I generally use 6-0 circle hooks. Public launch in Newburgh to fish the bay where it is good.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Striper Hunter

Agree 100% with Doc, I've fished the Newburgh area for about 5 years now and while I primarily use bloods, I will from time to time put out one pole with either live or chunk. Never had a run on one...just the worms.

Hey DocZ I just ordered about 75 bucks of those "RattleSinkers" you mentioned in a post last year....hope it was a legit recommendation and it's not your friend's company or something lol.....

Mike
Old 03-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
Agree 100% with Doc, I've fished the Newburgh area for about 5 years now and while I primarily use bloods, I will from time to time put out one pole with either live or chunk. Never had a run on one...just the worms.

Hey DocZ I just ordered about 75 bucks of those "RattleSinkers" you mentioned in a post last year....hope it was a legit recommendation and it's not your friend's company or something lol.....

Mike
Far from a friend's company............in fact if they didn't work I wouldn't buy shit from him because one of his sponsors whom we crushed in both the Striper Cup and PBR Tourney whined like a bitch and publically accused us of cheating by "pinching tails" to get a longer length..........despite the fact that Conn DEC has listed as the proper way to measure is striper is to pinch the tail for the longest length...........if we pinched tails we would have beaten him by more.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Pinching tails are the rule in nys legal measurement.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
Yes that is true which makes Joe Diorio a complete asshole for complaining about it.....he is sponsored by Greg Myerson of the World Record Striper Company.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
So we need to be careful on anything close to legal size ... small or big.

Imagine keeping a 27 incher and have it measured differently with the tail and it comes in at 28.5
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Official Member

I posted this link but don't know if anyone looked at it. DEC report on last year's season confirms herring aren't much good south of Kingston. If link doesn't work send me a pm and I can email it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3F...ew?ts=58c6fd5e
Old 03-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Official Member

Doesn't seem to work, take a look at my previous post on the subject, appears to work there.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiethej View Post
I posted this link but don't know if anyone looked at it. DEC report on last year's season confirms herring aren't much good south of Kingston. If link doesn't work send me a pm and I can email it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Fw8UVtFJ1PemYwaXJLUVVkdnFPWXJUUTBUNUlxdUotT1RN/view?ts=58c6fd5e[/url]
Great info....pretty much sums it up. Do not waste your time with herring south of kingston.