Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Albemarle Sound
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Albemarle Sound A forum for the Albemarle sound guys

Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Default possibly relocating to the area

hello all, i currently am a diehard striper fisherman from the hudsonriver/long island area. my fiancé and i are considering moving to north carolina. i read quite a bit on here about striper fishing down there. but it seems like its much different then up north. what can you tell me about the fishing there. i am a boat fisherman. how do most guys fish for them? from what i see it doesn't look like you guys get the size of fish we do? any info would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: possibly relocating to the area

Fishing is much different down here. I am originally from Baltimore and fished the Chesapeake Bay. The Albemarle sound is brackish. You will not get the big lunkers here. Fish have to be at least 18". A good fish is 22". The biggest I've caught is 26". Most anglers flatline troll with a Yozuri Deep Diver crystal minnow lure. Fish tend to be around structures like bridge pilings. They also lay in holes especially in the rivers. Some anglers cast plugs, spoons and jigs. Striper fishing is a winter sport with the season running from October 1st to April 30th. The hot week is between Christmas and New Years. Overall, the degree of difficulty is high. When you are new down here the locals will not share fishing spots with you. You really have to earn it. The bait and tackle shops are also mum about locations. A good method is to hire a guide and not tell him you are moving in. When I first moved here, we had a lot of schooling menhaden with seagulls diving; so I just used my binoculars to locate birds. That has changed over the decade. Overall, this is a beautiful place, but the fishing is a lot harder than what you are used to.

All the best
Old 03-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanford View Post
Fishing is much different down here. I am originally from Baltimore and fished the Chesapeake Bay. The Albemarle sound is brackish. You will not get the big lunkers here. Fish have to be at least 18". A good fish is 22". The biggest I've caught is 26". Most anglers flatline troll with a Yozuri Deep Diver crystal minnow lure. Fish tend to be around structures like bridge pilings. They also lay in holes especially in the rivers. Some anglers cast plugs, spoons and jigs. Striper fishing is a winter sport with the season running from October 1st to April 30th. The hot week is between Christmas and New Years. Overall, the degree of difficulty is high. When you are new down here the locals will not share fishing spots with you. You really have to earn it. The bait and tackle shops are also mum about locations. A good method is to hire a guide and not tell him you are moving in. When I first moved here, we had a lot of schooling menhaden with seagulls diving; so I just used my binoculars to locate birds. That has changed over the decade. Overall, this is a beautiful place, but the fishing is a lot harder than what you are used to.

All the best
Esanford--I from Bmore too. Have a place on the Yeopim. We may need to hook up sometime. I'll keep an eye out for a Robalo. I'm in a hardtop Proline 23 WA....

Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey,

I live on the Yeopim Creek... Are you on the river. My Boat is Hair Raisers... Ask around everybody knows me in the area...

Ed
Old 03-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanford View Post
Hey,

I live on the Yeopim Creek... Are you on the river. My Boat is Hair Raisers... Ask around everybody knows me in the area...

Ed
Shoot me an email with you contact info: Brian@tcgbarcode.com

I at the mouth of Yeopim river in that little cove as you exit. The house with the Steep Silver roof. Only house in the cove...