Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Support your local Fishing Pro Shop/Bait Shop

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Tailgunner 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about this one for a long time. I've seen this happen to the Gun Industry (of which I am very fond of), at one time there were several small but friendly gun shops many with or owned by a gunsmith, then came the big discount stores with plenty of guns for cheap, in many instances selling name brands guns for less than the small guys could by them for... Now only a couple of them left and they are suffering... I was in a local (small) Fishing Pro shop today looking at all kinds of stuff for next year and thinking all along that I could beat that price at _ _ _ _ pro shop (opening Monday in my area), but the guy running the place inquired if he could be of assistance... I told him what I was looking for and he went out and set up four different combo's for me, let me feel of them, patiently explained their differences, why one cost more than the other etc. He asked what I would be fishing for and what I'd most likely be fishing with and he made his recommendation (NOT the most expensive). Without me asking he said he would sell me them for $XXXX if I was interested, so I bought one, he filled both spools with the line of my choice (P Line Premium), filled out my warranty papers stamped them and is sending them in for me, told me if I had any problems to come and see him about it. I even felt bad about taking the discount (it wasn't much off, but a little). No, he wasn't "working" me, he really wanted my business and he got it, and will continue to get my business... Somehow, a few dollars just didn't seem to make that much difference... Please support your local small business... If you don't, they won't be there for you.............And in case you are wondering, I don't own a small business, I'm retired from the military...

See less See more
#2 ·
icn___clap.gif i agree. i think that gov should do what it did w/ rockefeller, and make him split up and all with walmart and the sort, or make them charge more. i also have a local gun shop where i get may guns and ammo. the owners are very helpful freindly and they can work on your gun.same with baitshops.i just love to go in and see all the stuff in a little cramped building with old timers tellin u tips. theres nuthin like it.

#3 ·
totally agree, I almost always go to my local shop unless I'm really tight on cash and need something fast (I gotta eat too ya know). But I usually always go to my local shop. I can go in there and talk with the guys and they hook me up and I hook them up. Seriously I don't know how people can go to the big places all the time I can't stand it. If I'm buying something I want some one who can give me real input on the product, and can give me realistic responses.

Not to mention cheapest and biggest bloodworms when the spawning season comes around

#4 ·
Where else can you get flourocarbon snelled to your hooks and your reels lined and or serviced.
Not at Walmart. ;) I always have to cringe when somebody asks a kid in the fishing section at Walmart a question on a product. "Duh I dont know. have a look in this aisle".
Seems like the managers sticks whomever might be available back there.
The guys at the local shops like their jobs i think.

#5 ·
I agree. I buy as much as possible in local shops. Lures are generally $1 more than Wal-mart and that's okay with me. They also carry what works locally unlike Wal-mart which carries whatever corperate sends them.

We have 2 local shops here. One has been around since I was a wee lad. Their only problem is they HATE answering any kind of question including "where are your <insert product here>?". However, they will do rod repairs while you wait. They are open 6 days a week 8-5 and also sell hunting items.

The other shop is around 5 years old. They are open 7 days a week, 5am-9pm during the season and 8-7 off season. Their only problem is they love to sell you stuff you don't need. They will shoot the breeze with you as long as you want and have been known to give out a secret or two to their regular customers. They also encourage kids to fish and give away bait to kids under 16. You can even smoke in the shop if nobody is around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.