Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New Jersey-New York Border??????????

6K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  demetrios 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to determine where the line is between the states...or are we just at the mercy of fish and Game? :?

#3 ·
Rich from what I can gather the Delaware river has no "state boundry" It is assummed the river belongs to both states and both states have reciprical jurisdiction. That is you can fish the entire river while in Pa or NJ with either state license. Now in Port Jervis NY. all 3 states NY NJ and Pa have jurisdiction and not all are reciprical. Each state has a border on the river here and each state has different licensing regs. I will have to look them up for you. As far as a geographic distinctive boundry that will also take a little bit of research. As far as a boundry goes. Whatever state you launch from you can fish the entire river to the opposite shore. The reciprical license agreement includes shore fishing embankments
Jim

#5 ·
OH!!

Sorry Rich.
Im sure there is a geographic line of Demarcation as well. I just never thought too much about it. Lets see if we cant find out.

As far as fish and game regs go the same principle applies to port of Berth. Whatever state you leave and return to determines state catch quotas and size limits even if caught in New Jersey waters from Staten Island. In other words if you catch 2 striped bass legal in New jersey waters and your port of berth was New York your subject to New York Regs which currently is one per day. and vice a versa if your berth is New Jersey You can take two from new York waters but you have to return to New Jersey.

#7 ·
Not if your berth was NJ. Thats the rub. Im pretty sure thats how it works. Time to double check. Also what if you caught the Bass before midnight? And its after 12.01 AM the next day. Theoretically you can have 3 bass in NY and 6 in New Jersey. On the Fluke your screwed. Unless your out of N.J.

But the question is what defines New Jersey / New York water boundaries?

#8 ·
New Jersey in the Atlantic Ocean there is no closed season for striped bass 0 to 3 miles from shore. Past 3 miles it is closed.
All other Marine waters the season is March 1st to December 31st.

and fresh water the Delaware is closed during the spawn.

I know it still doesnt answer the question. stay posted.

#9 ·
Rich. :)

Capt. Joe Meyer from the New Jersey DNR tells me that there is a geographical line called the 'Col Regs' line. There is one at every inlet up and down the coast. Sandy Hook to Long island. The Col reg lines are marked on every nautical chart. Inside of the line is considered the Bay. That is New Jersey water. It is unlawful to bring a fish during January and February when closed or from the other side during the striped bass season.
Open water on the Atlantic where the 0 to 3 miles rule applies there is no closed season. :wink:

I hope this clears it up a little bit. It is not from port of Berth as I had stated above. A lot of guys are mistaken on this.

Jim

#10 ·
You're tryin hard but I still don't get it.
What I want to know is, if I am fishing in the Reach, say by buoy 19 or 20, which I believe are within NY waters, do I have to have fish in possession, size and bag limit, that meet NY regs. or what?
If the answer is yes there should be some kind of visible line of buoys marking the separation of the two states waters.

Maybe I am being a little over technical but hey, who wants to be shelling out big buck for fines. :?

#11 ·
Rich I am to understand that if your fishing from New Jersey you cant possess fish from the other side of that Col Reg line. That is New York waters and you are governed by the New York regs. I didnt ask him if they marked by bouys but he did say that the boundries are determined by an invisible geographic line marked on nautical charts. I ll look up a chart for you.

#12 ·
That's what I figured....fishing in NY water, obey NY regs. Don't take your 16 1/2 in. NJ fish to the Reach off of S.I. and get checked. Ouch, big bucks.

A lot of help invisible lines seen only on a chart do us.

That's like having invisible speed limit signs.

#15 ·
If your berthed out of NJ and your tags are NJ. and you catch a legal fish in NJ waters and you stray into NY waters The NY fish and game cant bust you for a fish caught in NJ. Only if they see you catch it in NY waters.

#17 ·
I will have to ask a conservation officer to be sure. I've heard some others lament about a similar situation. Example 0 to 3 miles on the Atlantic waters is ok but when you come back in through towards home the bays and inlets in NJ are now closed from Jan 1 to March 31st. Theoretically you have the same situation. I would imagine that as long as your cooler is secure your OK. So everyone potentially has the same problem. I wonder if they think this stuff through before the AFMC makes them adhere to these ridiculous regs.

#20 ·
Interesting but I would have to double check on it. I have talked to guys fishing the West side of the channel and they said it was NY waters where they were. I am going to call Div. of Fish and Game and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the map anyway, will put it to use in the Spring.

#22 ·
Just to add 2 cents

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I know what I am talking about but using my leagal hat.... In the deleware I think Jim is right on. As long as you do not beach in PA, you can fish the whole river following NJ regs if you took to the water in NJ and have a NJ license.

The bay is another matter. You can definitly catch fish in NJ, appropriately so, and drift into NY and get busted if regs / seasons openings are different. "intent" is not required to violate the law. As far as the boundaries I use the bouy as general markers. True, you could be off, but, in general the police wont bother you if you are within the general area.

I know this does not make you feel great but I think Jims initial comment would end up being the reality. Where you berth is where they are generally going to check your fish.

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.