Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Stripers on the fly

Tags
fly stripers
8K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  vise-monkey 
#1 ·
I am all geared up for Stripers this year on the fly. Anyone want to try and get together? Jersey shore, kayaking, or big D- I am game.

#2 ·
Not much fly fishing activity on these blogs. A buddy and I are gearing up as well. What is your game plan? I may hit the river up by Trenton, but I want to hit the shore as much as possible. If you are just offshore in a kayak or small boat is there any sight fishing to be had anywhere close?

Take care

Chris

#3 ·
Hi Chris,
For Trenton- the stripers move in that main channel that is closer to the NJ side. On the pa side you can catch a lot of dink's and white perch. I have got them on every cast with a clouser minnow. But the big boys are in that deeper channel.
I would like to wade fish for them up above scudders falls- that would be pretty cool.
For the salt- They will be in the back bays and flats first. Plan on wading for them.
I am looking into getting a 15' gheenoe. If I can get one of those I will be fishing from that thing pretty exclusively. They can come with fore and aft casting decks- very stable and perfect for fly fishing.

For fresh water I want to target big carp and pike and musky's.

What do you guys have in mind?

Rob

#4 ·
So funny... When we aren't chasing trout on the upper D we have been carping with some success, and musky fishing with little success, but lots of throwing. We have anchored, chummed, and then thrown flies into the chum line and caught nice stripers at the Trenton bridge, but that was with herring. Are herring still prohibited? For stripers, I am most interested in sight fishing. If that happens in the back bays, and river inlets, I have a 17 foot center con with casting platform. I'd like to give that a shot, but where to go is a dart on the map for me. When do you think you will get out next? Is surf fishing productive yet for a half day knock the rust off?

#5 ·
well unfortunately there isn't much site casting for stripers around here. water is not clear enough.
Right now Stripers are being reported around tuckerton. They move up the Mullica in the spring- again- if you have electronics, you can spot them on your FF and then target them that way.

#8 ·
Chris, this is my first year targeting carp. There is a place near me called Cooper River that has literally hundreds of them in the 36" or better range. I used to paddle as hard and as fast as I could and then coast right into their schools (on the flats) and spook them- there would be huge splashes and fish darting everywhere.
I will take my kayak in there this year for sure.

#12 ·
I booked a few striper trips on the Suskie Flats for next weekend, but given the river flows, temps, and river forecasts I'm guessing they'll be cancelled. It really sucks too because they would be my first striper fishing outings ever and I've been tying flies for them for months. Got bit by the saltwater bug when I went flats fishing for the first time on my honeymoon last fall in Cancun.

#14 ·
I've heard plenty of bad about the Suskie Flats but I figured I'd give it a shot. Work is hell right now, and will be for the next month, so I'll be happy to be on the water with someone knowledgeable who can hopefully find some fish if the conditions are decent. Can't say you didn't warn me!

Moving forward I'd like to learn more about NY/NJ striper fisheries, just don't have the time right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.