Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Lanier Stripers

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LittleMiamiJeff 
#1 ·
I'm headed to Lanier in a week for a fishing trip. Don't have a boat and will be on the southern end of the lake near the dam a majority of the time. Does anyone have any tips/tactics for catching stripers in this area, I figured the tailwaters of the buford dam would be a good place to start but if anyone has any specific recommendations on area. baits, etc. it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Ryan

#2 ·
If you are wanting to fish for stripers in laniers you will really want to be in a boat. Lanier is a huge lake. I dont recomend fishing for stripers below the damm. When the water is off there will be alot of trout fishermen down there wade fishing. When they are generating on the tailwater i don't think you will be able to catch anything. If i remember correctly it just blows out the river. Wish i could give you some specific information on lanier, but everybody that i know around there all use boats and run all over the lake.
I will say this if you like trout fishing the tailwater is excellent, just bring your waders and a pfd for wade fishing and make sure to check the generation schedules. If you here the sirens below the damm, you had better run for. They don't give much warning.

#3 ·
Ryan,
A couple guys from seeinstripes fish Lanier and suggest the following:
Dirk: I would be at Mary Alice Park in March without a doubt. I would be casting a bucktail, stumpjumper, or redfin as close to parallel to the bank as I could about 10 feet from the bank. I would cast, retrieve, walk about 50 feet that way and cast again. OR if I wanted to be lazy(which would probably happen pretty quick) I would fish cutbait on any of the points at Mary Alice Park. Thats my best advise for him in March. Dirk

Shawn: Could a man fish live bait off the bank there? Close enough to get a truck with a tank in the back? I'd use live gizzards on bottom until they died, then start cutting.

Hope that is of help
LMJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.