Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New technique that works on the Hull

7K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  kfleming 
#1 ·
Last night 6/05/11 I had a hard time catching bait so i tried a little trolling in Defeated Creek. The fog rolled in so thick i didn't feel good about trolling anymore and i heard some fish breaking top water just off a bluff bank. I tied on a 6" Berkley power shad and made some long cast. I was in 30 foot of water. I'd cast as far as i could and would rip the big swim bait all the way to the top, when i heard the tail start gurgling on top I'd kill it and let it drop 3-4 feet. The stripers were nailing it on the drop. Caught several. I tried swimming the bait at different speeds and depths but this is the only way I could get them to take it. Next time I think I'm going to make me a big stinger and put it on the bottom of that big swim shad. I had a couple bites that they just didn't get the hook right.

#2 ·
went after them again tonight. Landed six fish on a flat right inside defeated creek out close to the creek mouth. they weren't busting the top tonight last they were last night but i maked several fish on my fish finder so I backed off a little and fan casted a mann's stretch 25 and rapala 11s shad rap. they're here and catchable but they move around alot, hard to keep up with. biggest tonight was 34lb. ain't caught a big fish since the friday before memorial day weekend. defeated creek is busy this time of year; may move out and farther up the lake. I was looking at my fishing log from last year and at this time i was catching nice fish on the island out from salt lick creek. May ride up there tomorrow night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.