Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Official Member

Default Question about a rod for fishing the tri state area

Hey everyone, been reading the forums for quite a bit now but making my first post because I can't find the information I am looking for. Not new to fishing but new to surf casting and am trying to settle on the right rod for the type of fishing I will be doing. I am located in Westchester so I will pretty much be bouncing around with the seasons fishing the Hudson, Long Island Sound, and south shore of Long Island. I've gathered that I need to consider weight of line I will be using, weight of lures/bait however I'm not sure what lb test line I should be using or what weight of lures I will be using in these areas. I've settled on the Penn Spinfisher V 5500 or 6500LL for my reel but I'm not sure the length, power, or action I should get on a rod for fishing the waters I listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Question about a rod for fishing the tri state area

For most shore fishing/surfcasting situations I prefer a 10 or 11 foot medium action rod that is properly rated for the lure weight I'm using.

What's your price range?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
For most shore fishing/surfcasting situations I prefer a 10 or 11 foot medium action rod that is properly rated for the lure weight I'm using.

What's your price range?
Trying to keep the whole set up under 300 so with spinfisher running me a little over 150 I don't really want to spend more than 150. Once I figure out where I am going to be fishing more and what not I'll splurge on something more specific for the type of fishing I am doing. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

For that price range, I'd check out the Tsunami Trophy Surf. It's rated as heavy, but the line weight and lure weight ratings are right where you'd want them for surfcasting with plugs.

Model: TSTSS-1102H
Line Weight: 20-40 lbs.
Lure Weight: 1-4 oz

On sale at Dick's right now for $120.00
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
For that price range, I'd check out the Tsunami Trophy Surf. It's rated as heavy, but the line weight and lure weight ratings are right where you'd want them for surfcasting with plugs.

Model: TSTSS-1102H
Line Weight: 20-40 lbs.
Lure Weight: 1-4 oz

On sale at Dick's right now for $120.00
Thank you! I'll check it out. appreciate the guidance