Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

long cast spool for surf

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Purpelnoon 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a reel to match my 9ft. Okuma Solaris(M) mainly for surf fishing and bank fishing in the Hudson. I'm looking at the okuma reels b/c of price. I want something with a baitfeeder since I often use bunker rigs, but also toss spoons. Do u think that a long cast spool really makes a difference? I am looking at the the Okuma Corrida, Epixor EB-50 or the Coronado CD50 and they don't have long cast spools.

#2 ·
If you are looking for a true Long Cast Spool, Daiwa cannot be beat. They put the most effort into the design of their spools. If you are using braid, you can try a Daiwa SS2600 Whisker (price btwn. $85-100) or if you use braid or mono, there is the Daiwa Team Advantage 4500S which is a good casting reel (price btwn $100-140).

Don't discount the Shimano Spheros 6000($100) which casts great and has a waterproof drag.

I have two Okuma Coronado Bait-runner style reels which I use for fresh water(Carp) but they are built for saltwater use. They baitrunner feature comes in handy so my rods dont get flung in the water from a sudden strike. Its happened to me already! I really like the Shimano Baitrunner and the Thunnus but I was looking for a more economical reel for my specific use and I went with the Okuma. So far, so good. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.