Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How do I catch Herring?

Tags
catch herring
24K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mohawk river 
#1 ·
Hello All,
This is my first season in the area and fishing the Hudson. How do I catch Herring from shore? Is high tide or low tide a better time for catching herring? I understand how to set up for chunking them from surf casting, but how do you hook them live when fishing from shore - through the lip or the dorsal?
Thanks in advance for the help.
For what it's worth report wise - I saw a few herring taken at Henry Hudson Park but no stripers or shad over two hours yesterday afternoon.

#2 ·
Well, I don't know the area you're fishing but herring are herring and are all caught using different methods, a sabiki is a good rig to use to catch some,dawn or dusk can be a good time to catch them. When you're live lining them a lot of guys have a lot of different approaches/methods but some of the common ways to do it are a treble hook through the nose, or a circle hook like 7/0 would do through the nose. I don't really recommend the trebles just because they're harder on the stripers. Trial and error is the best way to figure it all out. Like I said there are a lot of guys with a lot of different methods so the best way is to just figure the method that you like the best and go from their, I've noticed that the more you try something the more knowledgeable you will be, because you'll have experienced the glory as well as the mishaps with fishing.

A fisherman once told me....."To be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb!"

#6 ·
Well, I don't know the area you're fishing but herring are herring and are all caught using different methods, a sabiki is a good rig to use to catch some,dawn or dusk can be a good time to catch them.
Like I said there are a lot of guys with a lot of different methods so the best way is to just figure the method that you like the best and go from their, I've noticed that the more you try something the more knowledgeable you will be, because you'll have experienced the glory as well as the mishaps with fishing.

A fisherman once told me....."To be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb!"
Some great advice here. Learn by doing, make your mistakes, learn from them, and work for the wisdom. thumbsup.gif

I fished there yesturday. They were right near shore at high tide. But I didn't see any one catch a striper. At least from shore. Or any boats come in with any.
The way they are in the Delaware, it's kiind of a dawn and dusk thing as well. This aslso depends on the tides. Higher tide means they have more areas to run through, lower means they tend to stay in the deeper channel. If you can get a day when the high tide is at or near dawn, you should do better than others. And remember when you use the sabiki, if you hit one, leave it out there and jig some more for a few secs, you will sometimes get 2 or 3 this way. Good luck

#11 ·
Maybe I'm different, but I've found that in Hudson the herring bite better the brighter out it is ie; midday sunny weather.

Anyone else notice this or I am off a bit?
I'll agree with you. We were out early a couple days and didn't catch herring right off but once the sun was a little higher in the sky they were plentiful. this was before they were hitting sabikis regular. Sunday it was over cast and we were catching them every other cast.

#16 ·
I like the Sibiki rigs as well. This season it seems the herring prefer the smaller hooked rigs and with a bead and piece of flash.

One thing I have found to work well is to let the weight settle on the bottom with the line tight. Then I lift the rod tip as high as possible and SLOWLY bring it back down. The slower you let it down the better. This technique has worked well for me when other jigging techniques being used on the same boat have failed (just ask alewive).

#17 ·
The slower you let it down the better. This technique has worked well for me when other jigging techniques being used on the same boat have failed (just ask alewive).
Thats the great thing about the sabiki rigs, sometimes anything works. Take the other night, I met Mohawk on his boat, he already had 7 herring in the livewell. We decide we want a few more, but the funny thing is that his sabiki with the beads completely stopped working, and he couldn't catch a cold with it...but my little tiny sabiki and slack line technique filled the livewell the rest of the way. Not that we caught anything on the herring, but we sure did try:icon_pirate:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.