Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Braid for casting ?

Tags
braid casting
5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Doublerunner 
#1 ·
Maybe my question is silly but I am new using braid (power pro) as main line (not new fishing btw).
I use braid for bottom fish (fishfinder usually) and I use monofilament (tectan pro 26 lbs) for casting (jigs, spoons, flies, cranks...) well, I found my tectan pro line is not as good as I thought and I had some breaks lately.
It is time for a change I guess... I wonder if braid line could be useful in casting,
usually I use my 11ft rod with my fishfinder rig in the bottom and I cast with my 7 ft rod looking for flounders or any fish swimming around.

It is a good idea using braid for this type of fishing? maybe you know something I don't know... so any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

#4 ·
The braid is really good for casting, and the proper strength braid will help you cast ever further.

One of the best benefits that braid has over mono for lures and plugs is the feel. Since there is no stretch, when working something like a pencil or surface lure you don't have to put nearly the effort to make the plug work well.

For most surfcasting, a 30-40lb braid works really well, and putting on 300yds of 30 on a medium strength rod you will get amazing distance. I have a 10'6'' Lami Tri-Flex rated 1-3oz and with 30lb power pro i can easily launch a 2 1/2 tin or a typical plug for long casting over 100 yards.

One of the biggest drawbacks to Braid would be the wind knots. To avoid this on a spinning rod would be to use a slightly lighter braid, and make sure the spool is not over filled even slightly. Just make sure you are using the proper size lure for the rod, it makes a ton of difference, too light and wind knots are in your future.

for your 7' rod I would say use a 20lb, the braid is a lot stronger than the rating, especially if you have your drag set right. I have landed 20lb stripers on 15lb braid with little problem. And if you ever use your 11 for plugging or jigging, I would go with a 40lb, 50lb if you fish any places with fast currents.

Hope this helps :icon_mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.