Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

casting braid

Tags
braid casting
11K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  PanhandleSurf 
#1 ·
So I mentioned in a different post that I just switched to braid as so far I love it … but so far I have been casting with a 10’ leader so I never touch the braid when I cast. I want to change my rig up and fish only a 2 foot leader attached with a swivel but I am a little confused /concerned about casting by fingering the braid itself (spinning tackle). The crux of my question is how does one get cut casting w/ braid and what really “needs” to be done to prevent that? … can I throw a 3oz plug on a 10’ surf rod using 40 or 50# braid or will that just filet my finger? I clearly have read one too many “it will cut you” posts. Sorry for asking the “sissy” question but this is something I am trying not to learn by trial and error. I do use a golf glove on my casting hand …. Is that just all I need … or will it be a false sense of protection. On a side note I think that in the rare instance that I chunk I will stay with mono but for question sake how much weight can I safely throw with 50# braid??? :5387:

Much thanks
Jim

#2 ·
Hey Jim hows it going. Yes you are right!!! The braid will definitely cut your finger. Very easily in fact!! Especially if your skin has been softened due to getting wet. Such as fishing in the rain getting it wet or even fishing in misty conditions. Thankfully the company Aquaskins makes a casting glove. It is constructed of neoprene and has a kevlar pad on your casting finger. These are well worth it. It'll save you a trip to the ER to have your finger stitched back together. They are fairly cheap and you can probably get one at your local tackle shop. If not you could probably get one on line. If you don't feel like doing that you could always just wrap your finger in medical tape. And you shouldn't have to worry about what weight you'll be casting. Good luck!!

#3 ·
I use a 20 foot leader in certain spots so I don't lose fish in tight to rocks. Mono is more stretchy and won't get cut as easily in rocks. Regardless I have had the braid cuts in the past. I never wear a glove usually a good grip is all you need and if the inevitable cut happens I super glue it shut. Some guys also use the Breakaway cannon.

#6 ·
Jim,your probally best off using a glove or some kind of protection on your finger to start off with.Depending on how hard you cast might make the difference on your decision.Myself when i throw with a 9 or 10' pole with more than 2 oz plug i wear a glove i play it safe.It might take a while to get use to but better safe than sorry.

#7 ·
On a side note I think that in the rare instance that I chunk I will stay with mono but for question sake how much weight can I safely throw with 50# braid???
Don't listen to these LOSAH's!!! jim. lol all are viable options. The easiest way to prevent slicing your shriveled finger with pp? fabric Hockey tape on your finger, If you put it on when your finger is dry, its really hard to get off and works really well no matter how wet it gets. go to play it again sports, its like 10 bucks. boom problem solved. you can cast anything your rod can handle. Good luck!

#8 ·
i can tell you from experience getting cut will happen and it sucks. I cast out 40 pound braid and sliced every finger on my right hand, and it usually takes at least a week to heal. However my buddy's cast out as well with braid and never get cut, so go figure. I wear cotten gloves that are usually lying around during the winter to cast and problem solved .:flyfish:

#9 ·
So I decided to split the difference and taped the index finger of the cheep golf glove that I have. I don't like tape because I have a mild allergy to the adhesive (it will make my finger red and ichy). I figure this way I can keep the tape off my skin but still change it as needed. Going to try it out tonight; if I think of it I will post results.

much thanks

#11 ·
I don't like tape because I have a mild allergy to the adhesive (it will make my finger red and ichy). I figure this way I can keep the tape off my skin
well that kinda shoots my plan in the foot, huh? bummer. That aquaskins finger guard is used by a friend of mine and he likes it. kinda spendy tho.

Yet another option is the leather and fabric finger guard that my dad uses since like before dinosaurs. I distinctly remember refusing to wear mine and complainig at a young age that I would rather have my finger raw. They're kinda clumbsy, but I was like 12 so, its been tape for me ever since.

Attachments

#10 ·
Jim, the most important thing you can do to prevent braid cuts when using a bare finger is to make sure your drag is tight enough that there is no slip at all during the cast. Most of the time it is the slipping of the braid combined with the pressure on the finger from the cast that causes most braid cuts.

Think of it like this. If you just push an average knife blade straight against your skin, you actually have to apply quite a bit of pressure before you'll get cut,,, but if you draw the knife while pressing it against your skin very little pressure is required and the cut will be much worse.

#14 ·
Then you've never been in the surf long enough to get your hand soaked to the bone and soft. Or your finger is made of petrified leather. Braid will slice you're finger way before mono

And ur using 30# pp with 4 oz weight? Bait dunking probably no? We're talking more or less about constant surfcasting, where everything pretty much is getting wet and you're constantly touching your line, leader, lure, and reel, which are all soaked :D

#13 ·
Jake its that slipping that make me nervous … I am still getting my casting form together and for ever 25 pretty good casts I will get one just right and the drag will slip even if just a little bit. ……. then I realize I need to adjust my drag

I like the hockey tape idea though. I think I will put that on the golf glove instead on the medical tape. I used to play hockey and I know that stuff holds great even when wet. Thanks.

#15 ·
I use 50 lb PP and don't have any problems. That said, what JakeF pointed out is very true. If the line slips when you cast, it can and will irratate, or cut your finger after a time. I fish a tighter drag than most, so I do not experience this problem. Also, after a while you begin to develop a callose sp?? on your finger tip, the same way my left finger tips all have calloses from playing guitar.

If you do need protection, lot's of guys have mentioned hockey tape, and that is one solution. Something you do have to be careful about is wrapping your hand around braid while landing a fish. In the excitement of the end game, particularly in difficult spots to land fish in like jetties, it's easy to forget where the leader is.

Again, I use 50 lb PP, so the larger, smoother, rounder diameter of this line may have something to do with it being less aggressive than some smaller diameter, lighter lb test lines.

#16 ·
Don't care what ever one says! Nothing beats the single finger Auqaskin glove!! C'mon!! Kevlar!! Try cutting throught that!! Can't beat the average price of around $14 dollars Wich will last you several yrs. Instead If paying $10 a roll for tape!! Trust me...you will not regret it one iota!!!! Just ask your local tackle shop!! They'll tell You"""

#20 ·
I've been using 50lb braided for about a year on a spinner. Rarely do I get sliced, and most of the time it is due to wet conditions. if you don't want to use a glove, i would suggest picking up some athletic tape and wrapping a small piece around your finger a few times. That seems to do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.