Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > View From The Beach
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

View From The Beach Renowned surf angler, Rich Troxler, shares his thoughts, tactics, tips and tricks for surf casting success!

Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM
First Mate

Default Happy Holidays to All,...

I wish everybody a happy holiday season and a healthy and properous new year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Happy Holidays to All,...

Happy Holidays pal!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Striper Hunter

Happy Holidays bto all.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Official Member

The new year means waiting for the Striper to come back, I think. We are in that dead zone where the fall & early winter season has ended, and spring is far out still. So my question is, when is it reasonable to head back to the surf and have a shot at catching something? I have tried a few times chunking bunker at Damnneck just north of Sandbridge beach over the last couple weeks and the ocean seems dead. No crabs, no birds...no fish. Searching google maps for new spots is fun in the meantime.
Rob
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 PM
First Mate

Hi RP. I just came out with a new video on exactly what you were asking. It covers the framework of information needed to make effective plans when fishing. Judging by the locations you mentioned, it sounds like you are in my backyard. Just moved down here 3 years ago and it's been quite a busy 3 years.

To address your question more directly, here's my understanding of this area, at least as much as I've gotten up to now, because info gathering is an incessant, constantly on-going thing with me, always subject to revision lol.

Surf fishing the ocean for Stripers on this side of the bay is pretty much a non-event. Redfish fill that void. Stripers come down from up north in the fall and either hook up into the rivers and mid-bay for a period, or the whole winter, and others just head offshore to NC. In the spring, the redfish will come up the coast again, so you can get a shot of them from the beach, but the big reds usually take up Spring residence on the eastern shore, Fishermans Island / Magothy Bay are. Assateague Island shoreline is a good place to get both Stripers and Reds. It's kind of the first beach front the stripers hit on their way back north and I'll be up there a lot this spring.