Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Official Member

Default Visiting Newport need help

I'll be in Newport from May 3 thru 10 on a vacation trip. Wifey says I can fish a couple of times. I have limited experience with Stripers, that being a club trip to Cape Cod last May/June. Caught a lot of schoolies and that was great fun. It would be great if any of you would share some information on access, times to fish and flies. I am not as nimble as I once was so rugged climbs or walks are tough. It would be great if we could arrange a hookup for a couple of hours to get the lay of the land but any info would be much appreciated. I can reciprocate with help pursuing steelhead in the Lake Erie tributaries if that's of any interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Visiting Newport need help

Welcome aboard. There are a couple different cities by that name along the east coast. From your Cape Cod reference is it safe to assume you're talking about Newport, RI? It's probably about 3 weeks early for any consistent striped bass action around Newport, RI. The spawning run up the Hudson is just now getting started and the water temp in Newport, RI is still in the 40's.

That said, check out Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge in Middletown. Pretty easy access in some spots and not a bad early season haunt.

Cheers,
Jake
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Official Member

Jake, thanks for the response. I kind of thought it might be a bit early but I'm travelling with my wife and brother-in-law. He's a great guy but different. I know that I'll need a break away and fishing is it.

How about timing? I've heard that 2 hrs before and after a high tide is my best bet. Any thoughts on this?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

The best time of the tide to fish varies from spot to spot. Some spots turn on during the period you mentioned, other spots only work at dead low, etc... I think that many times it has more to do with how the current flows through the particular local bottom structure at a certain stage of the tide. Bass, especially large bass, are often very opportunistic feeders and will lie in wait down current of a certain rock formation or bottom structure and wait for food to come to them,,, when the tidal currents are moving in the opposite direction the bass won't set up in the same spot he would have 6 hours ago, and neither should you.

Sometimes the bass are keyed in on a forage fish that's most active around dawn & dusk and that can matter way more than what's going on with the tide.

Either way... get out and fish when you have the time.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Official Member

I did fish on the7th for a few hours on the incoming tide. Caught 6 with one being about 25". The rest were smaller. All on Clousers. Had several hook-ups that I didn't land which I'm sure were monsters. Saw one landed that must have been 34" or more. Thanks for your help. It was a successful day for me as an inexperienced Midwesterner. Will be at the Cape for a week starting on the 28th. Was good to get in a tune up. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hi Carl. Great to hear you had a successful outing!