Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What are your favorite Plug / Lure colors

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  gregorjim 
#1 ·
Hello Eveyone,

Started making plug and lure for a year. Had my fair share of lure failures. Found this web site, man what a wealth of informatoin on plug/lures.
Just wondering what everyone favorite colors are ?

#2 ·
basic light & dark variations. I'm partial to natural color patterns like white belly, gray top, with a streak of pink or blue down the side. For dark nights, black, olive green, blurble, etc. In my opinion though, proper presentation & using the correct profile to match the what baitfish may be in the area is usually more critical than the color of the lure.

Read these threads:

The Color Of Money

Presentation Oddities

The 2x2 Matrix

#3 ·
Fish can be very color selective at times.. but it is not the norm.... most times, it's a matter of what they can see...above all, the plug or lure must look like something that is either alive or dieing... in either case it must present itself in a manner that either triggers a feeding response or stirs the critter into a green eyed rage...the action of the plug is first and formost..
Under most circumsrances, blues, whites and blacks are all you need... there are times when reds will catch when nothing else seems to work... yellow or parrot are a favored color for darters and seem to be the most productive for this lure... I remember one morning 30 years ago when a pink goo -goo eye was the only plug color they would hit.. the same plug in any other color was ignored... unfortunatly i had no pink plugs that morning... I havent had that experience since..... last year, during a week in july, the only color that scored consistantly was a mackerel pattern.. most other colors of the same lure were ignored, or at least outfished 10-1... for the most part.. colors .. fancy scales and beautifull paint is resposible for more fisherman getting caught than fish...
For most Most custom builders, realistic paint jobs,and fancy paint is just a show of craftsmanship and pride..the fish don't really care..

#7 ·
we make a lot of metal lures on the west coast...Some i get chrome plated & some i paint...During the day if chrome slows downI don't hesitate to go to white, Yellow or especially Green Chartruese..There are times a color works best...You can cast lures in Bondo or make Silastic Silacone rubber #2258 takes 600 degrees heat''''Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.