Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

need help...mono or braid leader

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  buster117025 
#1 ·
Just caught my 1st striper and need help for more!!! My pole is set-up w/ 20# suffix mono w/ 50# big game mono leader. My brother in law is using same line w/ 50# power pro braid leader. We mostly fish the breachway w/ live eels. IS the braid better for a leader or the mono?
What can bluefish break easier mono or braid? If I get out there and blues are biting should I switch from mono leader to something diff.? can stripers see a steel leader? Finally I heard about flouro for a leader also. Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Hi Buster welcome.
The braid is like rope in the water. very easy to see. For stripers who can be line shy go with flouro or mono, but if your target is blues it really doesnt matter. Most guys use steel for blues or real heavy mono.
I've found circle hooks are the ticket when the blues are around. and (50 pound flouro). I do my best to avoid the bluefish. Earlier this spring with both bass and large bluefish around I had a dozen - 8/0 circles snelled to fifty # flouro. Only lost 2 rigs all night to bite offs and a combo boat rig, but thats another story.
When stripers are agressive and feeding they will bite even with steel. It doesnt matter as much at night. But personally I dont use steel leaders at all any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.