Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

My Setup?

Tags
setup
3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
hey guys.. im new and ive searched alot but not sure where i stand on this issue. i fish mainly off a pier in some rocky areas. once a week ill throw a line in from the beach in long island. mainly chunks and clam.. sometimes a live eel. ive got a 9' surf pole. med heavy and an okuma avenger av80 reel.. im wondering if i should spool this reel with braided line and what kind test etc... ive got a similar setup with mono on it i could relegate strictly to daytime beach fishing. this setup will see more use mainly at ngiht off the pier/jetty with rocky bottom. i can leave the other rod the same unless you think braided line would work from the beach too.. so does anyone think i should go for the braided line for my nightime rod off the pier and keep the beach rod the same? i could use some more casting distance from the beach as well.. also what brand and weight? thanks.

#2 ·
Hey Joey,
Personally, I'd use 30lb Power Pro braid on both setups. It should increase your casting distance and I think you get a better feel for your bait, whether bottom fishing or tossing lures, because of the lesser amount of stretch. Just my :twocents:

#3 ·
Welcome to the site.... :wtg:

For your type of fishing braid versus mono is a choice issue,braid is expensive but takes alot of punishment,I prefer touse a shock leader with all my braid set ups...

Braid can be a real pain to deal with at night,if it gets a kwind knot you go ape trying to untie it....

Mono has been around awhile and still works great,it doesnt take as much punishment as braid but is a heck of alot cheaper..

as far as casting goes, braid in the 30lb class is as thin as 8lb mono,so you can put alot on,and a long cast wont empty the spool.... so it will cast fathrther...

I only have two spinners set up with braid,they are 6'6" pen power sticks with shimano 4500 BTRunners, but at night they can be a pain....

I like power pro but others like fire line,again personal preferance..

#5 ·
One thing you might consider if you load up a big reel with braid, to help keep your cost down,, is to fill your spool about halfway with a good sturdy Mono, then tie on 150 yards or so of braid and fill the spool the rest of the way. Using the Mono as a "backing" lets you fill the spool as full as it should be and is much cheaper than trying to get a big reel filled the proper amount with ONLY braid. Chances are you won't be casting any more than 150 yards anyway, and if you use a good knot to join the two lines you'll still have plenty of strength there if a big fish tries to pull out more.

#7 ·
Wind knots and cut hands. Its definately easier in the day light as rock said. I got more used to it each time out and found some reels lay it down better. Great for abrasion resistence and jigging. Feels every bump of the floor. I love mono and use it on almost every reel but braid is definately useful around gigantic boulders and jetties. It has a place for sure. A birds nest is childs play next to a wind knot in the dark. :wall: Just take the reel off and replace it with another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.