Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New Setup

Tags
setup
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  byf 
#1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new setup(kinda) for plugging. I have an old 9' Lami brown glass rod(not sure of model) that was custom for me 15 yeas ago. At the present time it is setup spinning. It needs refinished. There is nothing wrong with the blank other than being ugly. No nicks/scratches. I was thinking about stripping this rod and turning it conventional.
The reel I was using was 21oz and the setup was balanced. The reel I'm looking at for the conversion is either 11.9oz or 13.1oz Okuma induron idx. Do I go with the heavier of the two or do I have to wait until I finish the rod and check for balance?
I have 1 baitcaster for freshwater but it is anything but conventional so I am unsure of balance.
Also the baitcaster I have has wrap around guides (they start on top and end on bottom). Has anyone tried this on surf rods?
Thank You in advance for guidance.

#2 ·
Mmmmmm, S glass! Sweet!
The Lami chestnut S glass rods are still considered to be some of the best eeling sticks ever made.
Do you remember what model it is ??

Don't worry about balancing the rod. A 9'er isn't that big a stick that a bit of tip heaviness is going to bother you.

I'd concentrate on getting a reel based on it's performance rather then worrying about weight

If it does, take off the butt cap and epoxy some lead shot into the base to tweak it to the way you like it.

Put sinkers in there, switching to larger and larger ones until the weight is right (obviously with the reel on the rod). Mark down the weight of the last sinker, measure out that weight of shot, mix it with 5 minute epoxy, put the mix into the butt, put a strip of tape over the end to keep the it all from leaking out and stand it upright until the epoxy is cured. Remove the tape, glue the buttcap back on and yer in business.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure the model.I bought it when I was in CT. My first plugging rod. I was taught surf fishing by a guy there. when I had the money for a rod he decided he needed money. He took me fishin for 4 days to Montauk with 4 different rods. On the 4th day we ran into a storm. When we were walking out I was carrying a graphite rod and it began to vibrate. I then decided on the glass rod. After we got home he fitted me to the rod, rewrapped the grip so the reel would sit where I needed it to(no seat) and I think I paid $75 for it. The only markings on the rod are his initials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.