Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Finding so called friends in your honey holes!

8K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  dbigfish 
#1 ·
I'll tell my story in hopes mabey some of your stories calm me down. There's a spot I like to fish more than others, like I'm pretty sure almost every one on here has. Well last year my so called friend needed a batterie because he broke down. So I traveled it to him leaving my spot at prime time to help him out. Took the boat back to my spot and fished. He then roles up next to me, so off course he knows now where I fish. This year I come out to find him in my spot with four unknown people in the boat. To me this is the worse possible senerio. Well now today on Facebook I find pics of them all up in my spot. I'm sick. I've put in eight years of fishing there ,and know it by the back of my hand. I have recently made it clear to him how messed up he is and that he disrespected me. He is a wanna be in my eyes.I have plenty spots and am not afraid to find more. But this just pisses me off!!!:frustrated:

#29 ·
Great story bob. I did have great carma this winter. I do feel much better and am full of ideas after reading all your post. I really like the one about getting my respectable friends to surround there boat but then we would all be waisting time. I don't think there as much of a diehard fisherman as I, so I'll just fish there on the rainy days, at night or when no one is there. Otherwise I'll be trying some new spots using my sonar to my advantage.I did call my friend out on it publically and made him look like a grub. But I'm done with all that. Time to move on, stop whinning and go catch some fish like I know I can. And hope there is a bit of good carma left in the tank to gets a 40 plus pounder this year.

#30 ·
sucks your spot got burned, its a lil different from shore than a boat. i think its more intentional when your on a boat and out of all the river they camp on your favorite spot but from shore what can ya do. i caught many fish last week at one of my fav shore spots and after 6 nice fish last monday the spots been a circus. nothin i could do about it. i didnt whine i just made sure to get out even earlier.... nobody beatsme to my spots, if they do more power to them. that tells me there puttin there time in and maybe even deserve a fish. i dont let my fishing be determined by others, adapt to the situation and get there 1st. the most dedicated will always shine above the rest, even the lurkers chasin your hard earned succsess

#31 ·
Not to jack your thread man but I am in a similar (yet completely different) situation here in Old Orchard Beach. It has been brought to my attention by my fishing buddy, the guy I fish with 99% of the time, that a group of surfers are "looking to have a chat with me." Now before I go and profess my innocence, I will state that I am anything but innocent, but I dont think I'm wrong either. I have a VERY low tolerance for ignorance, and IMO that is exactly what these guys are, IGNORANT. If I show up down the beach and see a bunch of guys surfing, I will go out of my way to make sure I am far enough away that I'm not interfering with them. However, when I am already down the beach fishing, they will think nothing of starting a little ways down from me and eventually end up directly in front of me, falling off their boards and crashing into my line. I have had words with a few of them before but they continue with their arrogance, so I took it to another level. What I do now is just keep on fishing, exactly where I was fishing before, like they're not even there. They get pissed as 4-5 oz pyramid sinkers whiz by their general direction and they throw their hands up in disgust like I'M the asshole. I stand my ground and on a couple of occasions have shouted obscenities at them to get the f**k outta my way as I was here first. It's a big beach, 7 miles long to be exact, so why they have to come and surf in that one spot is beyond me. The guy at the surf shop with whom my buddy spoke to asked, and I quote, "Why do you guys have to fish in THAT spot on the beach?" to which he replied "Hey man, we just fish here 'cause it's right in front of our house." So please tell me, am I wrong in this instance? Should I just suck it up and move if I've already been fishing for however long, 5 minutes, an hour, 5 hours just because these chowder heads feel like they own every wave and inch of the beach? Could I have handled the situation better? Yeah I suppose I could have, but to me it's a blatant act of disregard and disrespect.

P.S. If any one of them had taken 2 minutes to come and talk to me, I would have no problem packing up and moving a little ways down the beach. They claim the "area" I fish in is prime wave territory (or so my buddy tells me) but to me, it looks about the same up and down the beach....but what do I know?

#35 ·
Even my fishing buddy doesn't get it, but to me, it's a simple matter of right and wrong. He got me all fired up last night, sometimes I swear he does it on purpose. He says "If I'm fishing and they fall off their board and into my line, I just let it sit there, they're not gonna cut 65 lb braid or step on my hook or anything. . . . . " to which I responded, "That's not the point, if they are there surfing when I show up to fish, I move down and out of there way, it's common courtesy.....when you lose a big fish because they're in the way, crashing into your line, you gonna be so understanding then?" Don't tell me some sob story about the waves being the biggest right there or sing some kumbaya song about sharing the water 'cause I don't wanna hear it. Like I said, simple matter of common courtesy, common sense and respect for your fellow man far as I'm concerned!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.