Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Cruisinfanatic Cruisinfanatic is online now
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Clifton Park
Posts: 12
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakStripers View Post
A nicer chunk of time in Newburgh yesterday. We fished from 3-7 for the whole outgoing tide. It was flat and sunny at 3, 10 minutes later the wind started blowing and waves started rolling.

We went south away from the crowds first. On the second spot we caught 4 schoolies, up to about 18". We grabbed a jacket by the dock and headed north near the crowds. There were a few schoolies caught but slow for us. We went further north and not long after we had some drag pulling with my cousins 8lb striper. At the same time, another rod was hit with a schoolie near the bottom. The rods were set with 1 oz at 34' and the other a crank from the bottom in 32 FOW. The larger one hit a dead week old BW.

Damn, not sure why the pics show up sideways...
If you take pictures vertically (wrong in most cases IMO), they will post that way if unedited. Drives me nuts watching people with their phones always taking pictures vertically. Never did that with cameras unless you really wanted to take the picture that way. Turn your TV on end and try watching it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #167  
Old 05-13-2017, 12:21 PM
KayakStripers's Avatar
KayakStripers KayakStripers is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Valley Cottage, NY
Posts: 36
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic View Post
If you take pictures vertically (wrong in most cases IMO), they will post that way if unedited. Drives me nuts watching people with their phones always taking pictures vertically. Never did that with cameras unless you really wanted to take the picture that way. Turn your TV on end and try watching it.
Vertical means more pixels of the fish and the person. I see a bunch of other photos rotated as well. Guess it is a bug of phpBB2. The actual pictures are not rotated, so the only thing I could do is resize to 4:3. It also saves time getting fish back in the water.

To each his own...
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 05-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Cruisinfanatic Cruisinfanatic is online now
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Clifton Park
Posts: 12
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakStripers View Post
Vertical means more pixels of the fish and the person. I see a bunch of other photos rotated as well. Guess it is a bug of phpBB2. The actual pictures are not rotated, so the only thing I could do is resize to 4:3. It also saves time getting fish back in the water.

To each his own...
post 163 shows the difference
Reply With Quote
 
  #169  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Glusk7's Avatar
Glusk7 Glusk7 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Newburgh, New York
Posts: 35
Default

First of all I was in my boat drifting around. The fish were spawning near me. Next time i will tell the fish please dont swim near my boat.Second. All the knowledge I've learned on how to catch these fish came from fishing with my father, my brother, doc z and his friends. Not lurking on this website. I always have passed down to many people on the little tricks to catch more fish and where the fish are. Give them a break? I like your post from last year mr i Caught over 100 lbs of fish. How did you know that female was as big as she was, i though you dehook the fish and put them back in the water. Third. I didn't even have a net on the boat. I grabbed every fish with my hand. Ill send you a picture if my thumb. Also As I'm fighting the fish my father had the camera ready. Literally took 1 min to unhook the fish, take the picture and get a measurement right on the side of my boat. Already pretty measured lines. I spent 7 minutes reviving my big female before she successfully swam away. The 38 inch 28 lb female me and doc z spent another good 10 minutes to revive and she swam away. Non fishing people, give me a break dude I fish every chance I get. I fished 8 to 10 hours everyday this week fishing. 8 hr rest and back out. I'll be out everyday next week too. Next time message me personally.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Glusk7's Avatar
Glusk7 Glusk7 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Newburgh, New York
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveditt View Post
We are privileged to fish during the SB run up the Hudson please give them space when spawning its nice to witness but do it from a distance . If you spend some time on the water with the knowledge that is freely given on this site you are catching plenty of fish ,give them a break . My second suggestion is handling of the fish as little as possible is best to release on the side of the boat using a de hooking tool ,we don?t need to net every fish then spend time taking photos of every fish caught as you and the fish look the same . Understandable non fishing people love pictures but we should explain why its not the best for the fish to stay out of the water to long as they are stressed enough from the great fight they gave us then spend a few minutes reviving them .Next week is looking great good luck and enjoy this wonderful opportunity .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glusk7 View Post
First of all I was in my boat drifting around. The fish were spawning near me. Next time i will tell the fish please dont swim near my boat.Second. All the knowledge I've learned on how to catch these fish came from fishing with my father, my brother, doc z and his friends. Not lurking on this website. I always have passed down to many people on the little tricks to catch more fish and where the fish are. Give them a break? I like your post from last year mr i Caught over 100 lbs of fish. How did you know that female was as big as she was, i though you dehook the fish and put them back in the water. Third. I didn't even have a net on the boat. I grabbed every fish with my hand. Ill send you a picture if my thumb. Also As I'm fighting the fish my father had the camera ready. Literally took 1 min to unhook the fish, take the picture and get a measurement right on the side of my boat. Already pretty measured lines. I spent 7 minutes reviving my big female before she successfully swam away. The 38 inch 28 lb female me and doc z spent another good 10 minutes to revive and she swam away. Non fishing people, give me a break dude I fish every chance I get. I fished 8 to 10 hours everyday this week fishing. 8 hr rest and back out. I'll be out everyday next week too. Next time message me personally.

First of all I was in my boat drifting around. The fish were spawning near me. Next time i will tell the fish please dont swim near my boat.Second. All the knowledge I've learned on how to catch these fish came from fishing with my father, my brother, doc z and his friends. Not lurking on this website. I always have passed down to many people on the little tricks to catch more fish and where the fish are. Give them a break? I like your post from last year mr i Caught over 100 lbs of fish. How did you know that female was as big as she was, i though you dehook the fish and put them back in the water. Third. I didn't even have a net on the boat. I grabbed every fish with my hand. Ill send you a picture if my thumb. Also As I'm fighting the fish my father had the camera ready. Literally took 1 min to unhook the fish, take the picture and get a measurement right on the side of my boat. Already pretty measured lines. I spent 7 minutes reviving my big female before she successfully swam away. The 38 inch 28 lb female me and doc z spent another good 10 minutes to revive and she swam away. Non fishing people, give me a break dude I fish every chance I get. I fished 8 to 10 hours everyday this week fishing. 8 hr rest and back out. I'll be out everyday next week too. Next time message me personally.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Striperstripper's Avatar
Striperstripper Striperstripper is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Albany
Posts: 17
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Thanks Doc Z ... always a blast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	31042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	31050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	31058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	31066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	31074  

Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 05-13-2017, 06:03 PM
steveditt steveditt is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hopewell
Posts: 27
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glusk7 View Post
5/11/17 I need to shout out Doc Z...he put me on my biggest striper to date. 38 inches 28 lb female. Caught by whites marina.
Doc Z is an awesome fisherman. From the words of wisdom and knowledge to the genioristy of spending his time to pick me up and take me fishing has made him a great friend of mine. I am forever thankful that i do not sit on the shore and catch perch and catfish with bloodworns anymore. Thanks for lifting the lever for me!

After I caught her I went home, ate and came back out on my boat with my dog and my father.. we saw crazy spawning activity . We saw at least 15 females getting pushed to the surface with two of them within 20 feet of my boat! Look at the fish finder pictures! I caught 8 fish. 3 of them I caught with no sinker on with 14 feet of line out in a very slight drift. Blood worms in Newburgh by the bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 05-13-2017, 06:06 PM
steveditt steveditt is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hopewell
Posts: 27
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glusk7 View Post
5/11/17 I need to shout out Doc Z...he put me on my biggest striper to date. 38 inches 28 lb female. Caught by whites marina.
Doc Z is an awesome fisherman. From the words of wisdom and knowledge to the genioristy of spending his time to pick me up and take me fishing has made him a great friend of mine. I am forever thankful that i do not sit on the shore and catch perch and catfish with bloodworns anymore. Thanks for lifting the lever for me!

After I caught her I went home, ate and came back out on my boat with my dog and my father.. we saw crazy spawning activity . We saw at least 15 females getting pushed to the surface with two of them within 20 feet of my boat! Look at the fish finder pictures! I caught 8 fish. 3 of them I caught with no sinker on with 14 feet of line out in a very slight drift. Blood worms in Newburgh by the bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 PM
steveditt steveditt is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hopewell
Posts: 27
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glusk7 View Post
First of all I was in my boat drifting around. The fish were spawning near me. Next time i will tell the fish please dont swim near my boat.Second. All the knowledge I've learned on how to catch these fish came from fishing with my father, my brother, doc z and his friends. Not lurking on this website. I always have passed down to many people on the little tricks to catch more fish and where the fish are. Give them a break? I like your post from last year mr i Caught over 100 lbs of fish. How did you know that female was as big as she was, i though you dehook the fish and put them back in the water. Third. I didn't even have a net on the boat. I grabbed every fish with my hand. Ill send you a picture if my thumb. Also As I'm fighting the fish my father had the camera ready. Literally took 1 min to unhook the fish, take the picture and get a measurement right on the side of my boat. Already pretty measured lines. I spent 7 minutes reviving my big female before she successfully swam away. The 38 inch 28 lb female me and doc z spent another good 10 minutes to revive and she swam away. Non fishing people, give me a break dude I fish every chance I get. I fished 8 to 10 hours everyday this week fishing. 8 hr rest and back out. I'll be out everyday next week too. Next time message me personally.
It was a general comment not directed at you ,sorry you thought that ! Steve
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 763
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Ok...finally got home and what a awesome few days. We hit the water again Thursday night and weather out the rain today.

5/11/17 - Hit the water just before midnight and got a nice 35in fish at the cement plant in Marlboro...we drifted from the Mid Hudson bridge all morning down to the power plant past White's Marina from midnight to 6am. Pretty spotty marks. Water temp overnight was 57.

5/12/17 - Hit Newburgh bay just after 6am and it was on fire. Early morning temps were 37 degrees and warmed up quickly in the sun. The east side opposite Dennings at the transition from shallow was LOADED with hungry 30-38in feeding schools. We ended the day with 45 fish. The bite was constant all day but tapered off around 5pm when the wind and waves kicked up....it was rough but we still managed to pick away at the fish. The tide switched around 10:30pm and the water flattened out. There was a thick highway of schools all the way from Bannerman's to the Bridge on the east side but absolutely no bite overnight. Our sinkers were hitting the schools on the way down getting deflected but no takers. Water temp went up to 61.5 in the Bay. My buddy got a nice 41in fish just below the bridge.

5/13/17 - Rain started about 4am. We had drifted back to Marlboro but the fish literally stopped at the Newburgh bridge........blank screens all the way up. Picked up a buddy at 6am and had an engine issue.........thermostat housing cracked....thank God for 2 motors..........ran down to Newburgh Bay and the fish were in the same spot from Dennings to the bridge and hungry. We picked off 18 more till about noon when the bite just stopped and the schools dispersed. We weathered the rain till 8pm and motored back...........We will be back out in the am after I steal the thermostat housing off my other boat to fix my Marlboro boat. The size of the fish today varied from 4 inch dinks to 38 in females. Much less spawning activity today with the nasty weather. Water temp was down to 57 again.

I will post pics when I have time to download them.
__________________
2017 Stripers = 386
2017 Largest = 40"
2016 = 696/52" (Hudson 461/40")
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 763
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Pics from the last few days. You can tell how drastic the temp changes were by what we are wearing over the last few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-10-17    Striper (1)-George.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	31082   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-10-17    Striper (4)-Patrick.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	31090   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-10-17    Striper (6)-Eli.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	31098   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-11-17    Striper (2)-Me-37.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	31106   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-11-17    Striper (9)-Chuck.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	31114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-11-17    Striper (12)-Me-Chuck Double.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	31122   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-11-17    Striper (13)-Chuck.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	31130   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (2)-Me-37-25lbs.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	31138   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (4)-Me-37.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	31146   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (6)-Boots.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	31154  

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (10)-Joe-37.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	31162   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (13)-Me-37.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	31170   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (12)-Me-36.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	31178   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (14)-Boots.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	31186   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (17)-Me-37.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	31194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-12-17    Striper (21)-Me.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	31202   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-17    Striper (1)-Ben.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	31210   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-17    Striper (4)-Double-Me-Joe.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	31218   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-17    Striper (6)-Boots-Baby.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	31226  
__________________
2017 Stripers = 386
2017 Largest = 40"
2016 = 696/52" (Hudson 461/40")
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Hot Soup's Avatar
Hot Soup Hot Soup is online now
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 14
Default Newburgh 5/13

Screens were loaded in Newburgh 5/13, but only got 1 to hit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2517_1494763864560.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	31234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2538_1494763921556.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	31242  
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Hot Soup's Avatar
Hot Soup Hot Soup is online now
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 14
Default

Happy Mothers Day !
27" 7#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2563_1494775930174.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	635.2 KB
ID:	31250  
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM
MXK883's Avatar
MXK883 MXK883 is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 58
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

ugh all these pix are killing me...a couple days in the hospital for a medical procedure and my boat being in the shop has meant ONE DAY on the water for me so far this year....grrrrrr!!!!! And that was late april...one fish caught.




I know the weather has sucked but damn I wish I could be out there today! Hopefully I will get my boat back in the water later this week and at least have a couple decent days out there before it dies out...

Great pics though keep em coming I was checking them from my hospital bed lol...
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Captain Seaweed Captain Seaweed is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Beacon NY
Posts: 2
Default Re: 2017 STRIPER REPORTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveditt View Post
We are privileged to fish during the SB run up the Hudson please give them space when spawning its nice to witness but do it from a distance . If you spend some time on the water with the knowledge that is freely given on this site you are catching plenty of fish ,give them a break . My second suggestion is handling of the fish as little as possible is best to release on the side of the boat using a de hooking tool ,we donít need to net every fish then spend time taking photos of every fish caught as you and the fish look the same . Understandable non fishing people love pictures but we should explain why its not the best for the fish to stay out of the water to long as they are stressed enough from the great fight they gave us then spend a few minutes reviving them .Next week is looking great good luck and enjoy this wonderful opportunity .
What I would like to see before I flip out is people not waking other people. This river is extremely wide in Newburg/ Beacon and at Whites. People continue to be on plane in between two boats that are 100 ft apart. How hard is it to get off plane and cruise in? Cause the next person that does it to me is getting weighted treble hook tossed there way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2017, reports, striper

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 STRIPER REPORTs bassinbrian Hudson River 504 03-01-2017 11:14 PM
Lake Lanier Striper Reports CaptainMorgan! Georgia Stripers 0 03-13-2011 08:44 PM
Cape Fear tourney raises striper issues Striperjim Carolina Coast - Hatteras - OBX 2 01-07-2011 12:14 AM
FLW striper tournaments info BC The Striper Forum 3 06-20-2010 08:22 AM
striper reports in barnegat bay jbird1008 New Jersey 0 04-29-2005 12:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise