Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Official Member

Default Upper Hudson 4/17-4/19

Hit the water early on Tuesday morning out of Albany only to spend two hours catching a few herring. Anchored up in some deeper water fishing both live a chunk and right away had action at slack tide. First was on a live herring casted almost right up on shore and the second was on a piece of chunk on the channel edge. Rest of the incoming tide I didnít have a run. Fished slack again in the afternoon and ended up with another also on chunk. Fished seemed to be mostly deep and all three fish slammed the bait.

Wednesday morning started out the same way, spending an hour trying for herring. Fished South of the port in some deeper water again and this time didnít even have a run. After a few hours jumped from spot to spot but didnít have a hit and didnít mark may fish. Then it happened.... while on my way to my next spot the fish finder went crazy, black top to bottom. Turned around quick and anchored up on a hole that hasnít produced in the past few years and it was game on. I ended up going 10-14 with the biggest being a 34 inch 23 lber. I was fishing alone and had doubles hooked up twice, what a rush that was. Once the tide changed the bite slowed and the fish were gone. All 10 fish were caught in a two hour span.

Thursday we ran North from the Albany launch and were able to catch herring pretty quick. Anchored up and fished all of the outgoing tide and didnít have a single run. What we did catch was a TON of shad; we caught over 30 of them and probably lost just as many. We moved south from the Troy area and figured we would anchor on the channel edge and fish the changing tide before we took off. We went 4-6 for the last two hours of the day with a few nice fish caught.

Here are a few things that I have found to help me catch fish so far this year. All my chunk fish were caught on the middle section and the bait had to be changed every 10 minutes or so. Not a single run on head/tail but the dam catfish love them. I usually planned my outings on the outgoing tide but the slack and start of the incoming has been my tide to choice so far. The biggest thing that I have found was to fish away from everybody else and the traffic. In the Albany area everyday known spots are getting beat up hard and it has seem to turn the fish off at those spots. All of my fish so far have been out of the boat traffic and away from other. This is what I have figured out so far and it seems to work so hopefully it can work for you also.

For the guys that fish the Albany area be prepared to be swarmed if another boat sees that you are catching herring. Twice yesterday while catching bait we had over 10 boats right up against us because they couldnít find bait. Iím all about sharing info and helping out fellow fisherman but some of these guys yesterday had ZERO respect.

Working the next four days then another four off so hopefully the bite stays hot. Good luck all and stay safe.

Was there a post previous on how to post pictures on this site? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Upper Hudson 4/17-4/19

Awesome report Schroon! Thank you
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks schroon. That helps...I will be on the water soon.Will try to update later

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Striper Hunter

Great! My boat will be tready in 4 days. Then Game on!!!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Total Newbie

Good stuff! I'm heading out w a buddy this afternoon for awhile... gonna buy a few herring and try to catch some live as well... hopefully i can catch my first striper as this is my first boat/first season, been doing alot of reading.... :)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Striper Hunter - iFish NY

great in depth report! Isnt it funny how us "shore" fisherman always try to cast as far as we can out from land and then the boat guys cast out close into shore!! I always get a kick out of that and do it all the time... still no boat on the Hudson but whenever I head out on the sweetwater on the DEP Res's I find myself casting into shore for the bronzies/LM... just a funny thought!

keep at it schroon!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFISH316 View Post
great in depth report! Isnt it funny how us "shore" fisherman always try to cast as far as we can out from land and then the boat guys cast out close into shore!! I always get a kick out of that and do it all the time... still no boat on the Hudson but whenever I head out on the sweetwater on the DEP Res's I find myself casting into shore for the bronzies/LM... just a funny thought!

keep at it schroon!

When im on shore, and boat stops well within casting distance. You get one verbal warning, if u dont leave, u get one lead weight landing a few yards near the boat.

Nothing Irks me more then boaters taking our shore area. Yes its a public river, but thats all the water we got from shore. We are not packing up and walking down the shore. You can start ur motor and go away
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Great Report Schroon, best of luck to you as you fish on. Thanks for the insight. Guess it's time to break out the kayak and get off the beaten track!

Angle, I agree with you...I caught a fish last year from a park dock and immediately had a boat charge over and fish thru about 50 ft. off that dock. Gimme a break!

jt
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Very nice report---Albany area was full of " No respect " today. Once you hook into a striper and people see you your morning is pretty much over. Had people coming in while I was fighting a fish and taking way points on GPS and such. Started all by myself and ended with 10 boats within 50-60 yards...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Official Member

I agree great report, as for the lack of respect I have to admit even though I am an avid fan of this forum, the fact that anyone can come on here and look at reports and see when the fish are biting has a lot to do with the boat traffic. Just look at the number of lurkers on here, all these guys are just watching reports waiting and learning and it hurts us, the guys that provide all the info to each other. I think it should all be private, no lurkers.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Official Member

Then you need to get certain readers emails to limit the " lurkers" ability to read your posts or don't post info you don't want spread via the web.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
living in a van down by the river

Some people just don't have enough skill to find there own fish . Like the jizzbags that drifted over my lines today . If you got splashed by a 4 ounce bank sinker landing 20 inches from your pos boat I'm talkin to you . Next time I'm puttin lead to fiberglass . And if that doesn't work I'm takin headshots. If this offends you , then you are one of these types of boaters , and I'm glad your offended . If not , then like myself , you were taught to respect other fellow fisherman and the area they are fishing .
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_4_breakfast View Post
Some people just don't have enough skill to find there own fish . Like the jizzbags that drifted over my lines today . If you got splashed by a 4 ounce bank sinker landing 20 inches from your pos boat I'm talkin to you . Next time I'm puttin lead to fiberglass . And if that doesn't work I'm takin headshots. If this offends you , then you are one of these types of boaters , and I'm glad your offended . If not , then like myself , you were taught to respect other fellow fisherman and the area they are fishing .
totally agree....u get one verbal warning if u come to close with ur boat
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Official Member

fifty pouind test and five onces usually keeps things clear
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
bigbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood_4_breakfast View Post
HEY blood-4-breakfast, your point should be well taken.they would and should learn from this experience and would spread the word-(watch out for blood-4-breakfast) LOL. Keep sending them Bank Sinkers
because you'll never know,you might get that cow instead of fiberglass. LOL. BE SAFE AND GOOD FISHING. Bob