Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Tube and worm??

Hello everyone, Im from the chesapeake bay. I,ve been reading about the popularity of the tube and worm in the northern waters, and im thinking about trying it in the bay. The part that interests me the most, is an article that claimed it works good during the worm hatch. In the bay we have a mayworm hatch in december, (just kidding IN MAY ) . does anyone have any tips? is it a basic surgical hose with a worm attached? how long are the tubes? would it be better at night when the worms are most active? some of the articles that I read said it imitates an eel ( which are also common in the bay). other articles talked about it imitating the worms in a worm hatch. trolling surical hoses in the bay is fairly popular, but when I asked about the tube and worm in a chesapeake bay forum(tidalfish). no one seemed to know anything about it. any tips would be appreciated..thank you :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default New at it myself but this my help

If trying it like we do here in New England.. troll slow like 1-2 knots.
I have a few of petes tubes and these work best with a worm hanging off the back. http://www.fishfinatic.com/ Work structure and bumps and ledges where the stripers are waiting to ambush bait.. work it slow

There is also a thread I came upon that had a good bunch of info
http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=412

Good luck I'm sure some of the others will have more input
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Member Elite

Basics are: leadcore line...with a Fluorocarbon leader...fish it SLOW and low...around drop offs and ledges....you want a slow spinning motion to the tube...

...Go as slow as possible...then go slower!!!....

Good Luck

Old 03-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Senior Member Elite

Heres one of my write up's...there a few more (I think)...

http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1177

...I'll try to find the others...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tubes are great daytime bass takers,everyone has an opinion as to color,length and weather to weight or not,but we ALL agree that they are deadly if fished S-L-O-W!!!!!!!!!

They can be trolled on wire,leadcore,dacron, braid or mono.

I make my own and like them around 18",but I have some Gorrilla tubes that i use in the fall that are 30" long and they catch fish.!

personaly i like blood red and black,I have some weighted,some without,some have spinners in front some do not,all my tubes have a diamond shaped hole 2" down from the beginning of the tube,this hole tends to leave a bubble trail making the tube,in my opinion that much deadlier.

Bridge pilings,rock piles and edges of mussel beds and drop offs are a good place to try as are the edges of creek mouths.

Without the worm the rig is almost useless,I've caught fish using porkrind on the hook but that day I think they would have hit the bare hook,but, a substitute tha works well is an eel skin,I save a half dozzen from my eels that have passed on,dump them in a zip lock bag with a little water and freeze them,if worms arn't available I still can go tubin,there not as good as a worm but you can still take some fish.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks for all the info. Im not sure if it will work in the chessy, but I can,t wait to find out. It would be near impossible for me to find sandworms around here. so I would have to substitute bloodworms. even though we get big rockfish migrating in during the spring, theres still alot of small nursery fish here, I have a feeling the small rock will strip the bloodworm off the hook quikly. at night the smaller fish hide, so it may work better then.......Its amazing how differently people in the chesapeake area fish for rock. you guys ever jig with bassassasins? its the most popular way to jig around here. bucktails used to be popular years ago, but (almost)everyone uses bassassasins now. I,ve even heard of people from the chesapeake area catching fish in the northern waters with them, even on trips to costa rica and greece. you guys ought to try it. I bet it works great
Old 04-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Official Member

we use sassy shads in the spring summer and fall when we see the birds working As far as tube and worm I have a couple of charter capts in virginia beach using santini tubes on leadcore since 1998 and they catch big bass on them They work anywhere Its the easiest most precise way of getting the tubes into the strike zone If you have any more questions on tube and worm email me or do like tattoo-bob says get charley soares book on it He's truly a master pete santini
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Official Member

Default Pork rind with tube

Hello,
Has anyone used the long (I believe around 12") pork rind with the tube instead of a worm. New to this site and look foward to all correspondance. Thanks, Sean
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Senko King

Welcome to the site Sean!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Official Member

its hard to beat the real thing but in a pinch they do work on the end of tubes
Old 04-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Senior Member Elite

I have a bag of the Powerbait Seaworms...but I never use them, kinda defeats the point...

...In a pinch, I'd just troll with something else...
Old 04-02-2005, 01:42 AM

Hi CaptCarlin

Enjoy the site. Can't wait for this run to get going. 8)
Old 04-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Official Member

Default Thank you

Thanks for the reply's and the warm welcome, look foward to some great discussions. --Sean