Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Newbie in Hudson River, a lot of questions...

Hola !
I use to fish in Freshwater so I have my Freshwater gear, I'm not a newbie in fresh BUT I don't have any experience in SALTWATER, I know the basis are the same but there are some questions about some specific things.
Actually I have a Shakespeare BigWater Spinning Combo 8'. And I would like to fish from the shore (no boat) in Liberty State Park (just saying but looking for spots in NNJ, just new in the area).

My questions are:
1. I know a lot of people recommend Monofilament in the main line and fluorocarbon in the lead, BUT what about braid lines... like Spider?
If I use braid line as a main line, what about my lead?
2. What kind of line should I use (Im thinking 20-30lbs) as a main line and up to 50 lbs in the lead... is that right? some differences in Braids?
3. What kind of BAIT/LURE should I use for this kind of fishing? Should I use a Fish Finder rig or a Fixed Rig? what size of hooks are better?
4. I saw people fishing from bridges or from a high levels, should I use some kind of "tool" in order to "hook" the fish to take it out of the water or I just have to use my rod/line in order to lift it all the way out ?
5. WHERE I can find more resources regarding this matter?

As a freshwater angler I know I have to pay for my permit (for trout is 10 bucks more) BUT I've heard about some plans to make us pay for Saltwater fishing... actually this activity is for FREE in NJ, right?

Sorry, maybe some of my questions could sound silly, but I use to use light rods, 6lbs-12lbs lines and small bait for freshwater... I just want to start in the best way I can.

Thank you very much !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Newbie in Hudson River, a lot of questions...

Hi Mike.

All these questions have been asked and answered probably a couple of dozen times.
the search feature is your friend.

1. braid is fine maybe 20 pound fireline or 30 pound sufix or equivalent. - 30- 40 or 50 flouro or mono leader.
depends on preference and water clarity - structure or lack thereof.

2. your on target

3. Liberty state park - a fishfinder rig with bait. Probably best bet is bloodworms / sand worms / cut herring. Early spring. Then clams and bunker.
Lures a multitude of lures will work. This will take practice then experience.
Dont get locked in to just bait-fishing.

4. Bridge fishing is for the experienced. A specially rigged basket is used here. My opinion is that this method sucks as far as fish conservation goes. This puts way too much stress on the fish. The release?

5. Your definately on the right track. A good step was signing on as a member here. Read the stickies in the forums. Use the search feature. Your questions have likely been asked and answered and are now archived for reference. Then try to ask a more specific question and someone with experience in that type of fishing likely will assist.

No saltwater license needed in NY NJ untill 2010 at the earliest.
The states have been granted another year by the NOAA to figure it out

Happy hunting
Old 01-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

4. Bridge fishing is for the experienced. A specially rigged basket is used here. My opinion is that this method sucks as far as fish conservation goes. This puts way too much stress on the fish. The release?
65# braid 80# leader to do that with a 10# bluefish but bass? you would get thrown in the water where i fish if you attempted to do a maneuver like that. fishing piers/ bridges/ and tall structure you need to be able to land a fish whether it is walking it in or a varietey of other means. fish an area like this and you will see others land fish but the googins usually kill everything and gaff them with a large trebble. "and i mean everything"

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanxs for your response.
As I told you, I come from freshwater (lakes, ponds, rivers), I know a trout/bass/crappies are small fish and easy to land.
I have been in Liberty State Park Hudson River NJ before, that "walking board" is like a bridge, I saw some guys landing fish with trebble hooks tied to a rope, I think is not a nice way to land a fish even if you are going to eat it... so what is the alternative to that if you get a big fish?
Going for stripers is exciting I think, so what about a 30 lbs mono/braid with a 50lbs fluoro lead?

I think I have the basis, but practice is a must in order to be a good angler... I want to do things correctly, I respect life and environment. From my point of view is not about just fishing, is about how to fish. It is easy to throw a sinker tied to a line with a hook and a bait, but I've learned there is something more about it.

Thank you again !
Old 01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they use that apparatus as i don't think you are allowed on the rocks to retrieve a fish. "not to say they don't do that at night" but bending down the barbs on your hook will assure the fish can escape when you get him close to see him or her.