Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
If Fishing Was Work I'd Never Be Sick!!!

Default Re: Biggest of the year.

Well guys, my biggest Striper was not this year, in fact I have not caught one yet this season. My biggest was from the Cape last September, 40" around 30 pounds. In fact that was my second Striper the first one was from the Hudson around 15" on a charter boat. I am new to this and have been having a tough time getting one this year. We live 2 hours away and have been 3 times and heading back on Wed. We are fishing on the tracks and not having much luck there. I think we are going to try a few new spots this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
that might be a touch light

but don't base your opinion on other people's reports.... the vast majority of people overestimate the weight of the stripers they catch ... a fish over 20 lbs is big ... and fairly rare yet i hear people talk about 25 pounders all the time

i've been doing this 15 years, get out 25+ mornings a season and dont get too many 25 pounders
First let me start out by saying big med or small fish is relative to the person catching the fish. Someone first starting out catching a 10lber is a big fish and im not going to knock that because it hooks them to the sport that we all love and in the end the fight, experience and time on the water is all that should matter. That being said, idk how people say how its rare to catch 20+ lb fish. Thats an average size fish for where we fish. Ive got a certified scale that gets recalibrated each year so that my "storys" are accurate. Id venture a guess that these fish are "rare" becaue people dont seem to know how to get them. Ive got a cell full of pics of 20-25lb fish we got this year that were ALL thrown back. Ive missed about 4 days since easter including this weekend so I do get alot more time on the water than most normal people so that maybe gives me an advantage. Seems that people use bloods and chunk seem to catch the smaller fish. I exclusively fish lives so im sure thats why my average fish may weigh a little more than other peoples. Not to sure either way and am not going to argure over the internet. Either way ill continue to do what I love and when I figure out how to upload some pics I will. Tight lines.

Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Elite

I can't tell you how many pictures i see of 12 to 15 pound fish that people describe as a 25 pounder.

Just this weekend i was in my local deli for a bacon egg and cheese sandwich and saw a pic on the wall of a decent striper.

I asked " how big" ..... and was told 34 inches and 30 pounds.

Yeah ..... well a fat 34 inch fish doesn't weigh 30 pounds .... doesn't weigh 25 pounds and if it is real fat might hit the 20 pound mark.

I am not saying they are not trophies... just that people overestimate the weight of these fish.

You should be proud of your catch ..... most people don't consistently see the size fish you do.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
First Mate

I too never "estimate" anything, all my fish get measured and weighed....

34" female spawner is usually around 18-20lbs...
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I can't tell you how many pictures i see of 12 to 15 pound fish that people describe as a 25 pounder.

I am not saying they are not trophies... just that people overestimate the weight of these fish.

You should be proud of your catch ..... most people don't consistently see the size fish you do.
100% agree. Not here to brag or tell people im the best, but ik that I put my time in and am rewarded with really good fish. Thats why I am proud of my fish because I put my hard work in EVERY DAY to achieve these fish. Pics can be altered and used to make fish look huge. Theres a reason I keep my scale accurate because im not here to prove anything to anyone. Just stated that I havent gotten any big ones all average fish 20-25lbs and just seemed like internet fisherman jumped down my throat about "rare" 25lb fish. "Ive never cought one so they cant exist" BS. They catch 60lb plus fish out in the ocean but theres no way we can average 20s in the hudson. Really wasnt trying to brag but share my experience this year and maybe share some storys but I guess that was to much to ask for.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOn73 View Post
100% agree. Not here to brag or tell people im the best, but ik that I put my time in and am rewarded with really good fish. Thats why I am proud of my fish because I put my hard work in EVERY DAY to achieve these fish. Pics can be altered and used to make fish look huge. Theres a reason I keep my scale accurate because im not here to prove anything to anyone. Just stated that I havent gotten any big ones all average fish 20-25lbs and just seemed like internet fisherman jumped down my throat about "rare" 25lb fish. "Ive never cought one so they cant exist" BS. They catch 60lb plus fish out in the ocean but theres no way we can average 20s in the hudson. Really wasnt trying to brag but share my experietce this year and maybe share some storys but I guess that was to much to ask for.
I think what got them going was off the bat you said 28lb is average... seems to me on live bait 18 is more like average. we catch a ton of 15-22lb fish every year, only a few bigger
Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
I think what got them going was off the bat you said 28lb is average... seems to me on live bait 18 is more like average. we catch a ton of 15-22lb fish every year, only a few bigger
Move to where we talked about and you might be surprised on your average. haha 20-25lb fish is average for ME end of story. Figured 28 was close and I guess I shoulda said a LITTLE over average haha wtf? And if 18 is average for you how is it not possible for my average to be just a few lbs higher?? Get to that spot we talked about and let me know how you do!

Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Troy tournament winner last week was 28lbs. Top 8 fish were 23-28.73 lbs. They're there but I just can't find em.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Move to where we talked about and you might be surprised on your average. haha 20-25lb fish is average for ME end of story. Figured 28 was close and I guess I shoulda said a LITTLE over average haha wtf? And if 18 is average for you how is it not possible for my average to be just a few lbs higher?? Get to that spot we talked about and let me know how you do!

Chris
I have fished that spot a lot... and I am not doubtin you, only playing devils advocate for those that are
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
I have fished that spot a lot... and I am not doubtin you, only playing devils advocate for those that are
I figured that lol no worries. It all comes down to being in the right spot at the right time. Even if your in the best spot in the world if the fish arent there your not going to get any fish. Doc z how many people enter this year you know? Last week seemed to be a tough week for myself and all of the guys im involved with. Weather just seemed to put the bite off till later on in the week with a couple "average" fish here and there. Might have been the same up there too im not sure. Its hard to break into the top ten of the tourneys down here without a 30+ fish. Usually in approx 4 tourneys per season. Had one third place with a fish just shy of 40 I beleve was 4-5 years ago.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I figured that lol no worries. It all comes down to being in the right spot at the right time. Even if your in the best spot in the world if the fish arent there your not going to get any fish. Doc z how many people enter this year you know? Last week seemed to be a tough week for myself and all of the guys im involved with. Weather just seemed to put the bite off till later on in the week with a couple "average" fish here and there. Might have been the same up there too im not sure. Its hard to break into the top ten of the tourneys down here without a 30+ fish. Usually in approx 4 tourneys per season. Had one third place with a fish just shy of 40 I beleve was 4-5 years ago.
There were 240 entries and 100 boats. Contest was from the Menands bridge to the Troy Dam.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
There were 240 entries and 100 boats. Contest was from the Menands bridge to the Troy Dam.
Thats a good turnout! Gets to be a zoo up there from what ive heard. Only fished up by the dam once from a boat and it was a madhouse. Kinda turned me off from making the hr nd a half trip.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thats a good turnout! Gets to be a zoo up there from what ive heard. Only fished up by the dam once from a boat and it was a madhouse. Kinda turned me off from making the hr nd a half trip.
A Zoo it is so I steer clear of the Damn or drive 1 1/2 hrs South to Newburgh.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
A Zoo it is so I steer clear of the Damn or drive 1 1/2 hrs South to Newburgh.
It's no better at the launch ramp in Newbugh for the increased fee all you have is more KAOS and an Idiot of an attendant that does nothing more than stand there with a scribble of Ebonics on cardboard and collect $. Absolutely No guidance, No instruction or direction at the ramp as to protocol or order for launch or retrievals;Nor does he stop the onslaught of drive-by sightseers in their personal autos that decide they're gonna cut across your path at the top of ramp either while hauling out or backing in. Then you got to be able to travel through the unruly and unkempt ghettos roads. Not to mention the other motorist that think the stop sign on the way out does not apply to them. Mind you all this and the weather was not sunny and hot yet cause that would only compound it with new and asshole PWC & rec mariners
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Wow!! Scribbles of ebonics and aztecs in rafts. IDK what that has to do with fishing, but Kingston was pretty slow Sunday. We fished from 4am to 2 pm and landed 4 fish.Herring chunks was all we used. I usually try to get to the dock early and avoid the crowds. Makes for a more enjoyable day.