Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Official Member

Default Striper Newbi in DE surf

Not new to fishing but new to surf fishing for stripers. I will be fishing the indian river inlet a lot but going to do some surf fishing at 3R beach. Now I know I do not have the top of the line set ups at this point for the surf. I have a 12' tidewater pole and penn fierce 6000 reel with 30lbs mono backer and power pro 50lbs braid that I just put on last night. The other rod is an 8' something or other also with 50lbs power pro and I will be using fresh bunker. I have some store bought fishfinder rigs and made a few also last night. Ok, bla bla bla....here are a few of my questions and hope someone can chime in. ( O yea, I did read the striper 101 post):)
1) just how long do you guys leave the bunker in the water before checking or changing?
2) how big of chunks? I have #6 and #7 bait and circle hooks.
3) how do stripers hit? I see some post to wait a little bit for them to swallow it. Is this true or do you set the hook when they hit? Do they hit hard or play with the bait?
4) since I have two poles I was thinking one just past the waves and the other out a bit or am I wrong?
Thank you.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Striper Newbi in DE surf

THanks for the response- lol. Anyway the strippers are in Indian river inlet big time. Went last night and almost everyone left with one. Lots of big ones also. Landed 2 lost 3. So go hit it..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Striper Newbi in DE surf

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you man! I've fished Plymouth for stripers my whole life. got stationed down here at the AFB and it's a totally different breed... the surf is nuts with the waves and fishing next to a hundred other people! lol I'm having a tough time, still haven't even hooked a single thing (outside of skate and horse shoe crab)!