Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Biggest of the year.

Hey guys my name is Chris im 24 outta the Poughkeepsie area. Been fishing the hudson since before I can remember. New to the site figured id stop trolling and introduce myself and maybe share some of the knowledge ive gained over the years. Far from a pro but consider myself above the curve. Mostly fish from shore untill tourney time then the boat comes out. Im also a Herring addict, been scapping since I was strong enough to hold a net and before these huge lift nets made everyone a pro haha. Im lucky enough to live close enough to the river that I get 4 hrs a night after work to fish. Ive only missed two days since easter. Wondering how everyone on the river has been doing this year, im up to around 15 myself. Been skunked by the big pigs so far this year the biggest being only 28lbs . Tons of little fish being cought this year 8-15lbs. I also believe in c&r because a picture says more than a dead fish. So I guess the point is to say hi give a little backround about myself and see how everyones been doing. Anyone get any big boys yet??? Tight lines all

Chris
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Biggest of the year.

Whats up chris, im from the area and im sure ive seen you around. Guess youve caught some cows to be considering 28lb bass small! I heard about one 45lb a bit south of the bridge on tuesday , dunno if theres any truth though. Personallu got my biggest this uear at 31lbs.

Fish on!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Striper Hunter

I guess im a lil spoiled with big fish haha 28 is not small but what i would consider average. have put my time/sweat in and have my go to spots for decent fish. Lucky to learn from some seasoned pros at a young age haha. Im pretty sure I know that guy you were talking about, not below the bridge from what ive heard tho. You know how the game of telephone goes tho so you never know for sure. Saw pics of a few big ones but people seem not to know that when you hold a fish three ft in front of you for a pic makes the fish look ten times bigger I guess it makes em happy to turn a 15lber into a 30+ haha oh well to each his own. 31 pounder is no fish to snub at tho! good to hear your getting into em this year and your biggest makes it all better! Ive personally watched 5 30-40lbers come outta here this year, nothing over 40 ive seen yet.This area is my favorate spot of the whole Hudson to fish. Were goin to have to get up sometime and swap some fish storys and kill some herring!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Striper Hunter

230 views and no one can say hi or brag about some fish they got this year? thought we were here to talk fishing guys?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOn73 View Post
230 views and no one can say hi or brag about some fish they got this year? thought we were here to talk fishing guys?
Would love to, but unfortunately haven't caught anything worthy enough...hopefully soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Official Member

Stopping by to say HI. I am a total newbie at striper fishing. Hubby did it years ago untill i came into the picture. Dont know why he stopped..But i love going out. Holding my breath untill i get one. to be a 10lb fish would be fun. My biggest fish ever so far is a 18 inch striper. Go ahead giggle. I dont know what i am in for if i get a big one!! I have noticed alot of people read posts and dont respond. unfortunatly I have asked for some good areas and no one answered. guees they thought i would comee and steal their spot. Fome newburg area...but we go all over. happy fishing!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOn73 View Post
I've been out fishing too much to post

Figured a Saturday with all the googins out is a good day to stay home.

This has been the best run in many many years ..... tons of fish and tons of bigger ones this year.

I am now up to 51 fish on my outings... with two at or near 30 lbs ... and probably 15 or 20 that were 36 inches or so
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
I've been out fishing too much to post

Figured a Saturday with all the googins out is a good day to stay home.

This has been the best run in many many years ..... tons of fish and tons of bigger ones this year.

I am now up to 51 fish on my outings... with two at or near 30 lbs ... and probably 15 or 20 that were 36 inches or so
You put your largest fish is 39"? Not lbs?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesons1 View Post
You put your largest fish is 39"? Not lbs?
correct ... 39 inches or so ... i figured high 20's

got one yesterday that i think was bigger ... but i didn't have my tape with me

i have been wanting to keep one for the past week but all i have caught have had big fat bellies full of eggs so i let em all go
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Official Member

I'll brag, not to make you all jealous but caught my first striper last week of April. The thing was a monster, scared to even measure it but if I had to guess 13 inches. But hey still was my first striper and my biggest.
Tight lines all,
Kris.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Caught my first Hudson striper this past week. My buddies scale said it was 13lbs, but I am not sure. It was almost 35". Does that sound right? Seemed just as fat as the others I am seeing. Either way I was happy as can be to catch my first. Cant wait to land a big boy.

Tight lines, T
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontona19 View Post
Caught my first Hudson striper this past week. My buddies scale said it was 13lbs, but I am not sure. It was almost 35". Does that sound right? Seemed just as fat as the others I am seeing. Either way I was happy as can be to catch my first. Cant wait to land a big boy.

Tight lines, T
that might be a touch light

but don't base your opinion on other people's reports.... the vast majority of people overestimate the weight of the stripers they catch ... a fish over 20 lbs is big ... and fairly rare yet i hear people talk about 25 pounders all the time

i've been doing this 15 years, get out 25+ mornings a season and dont get too many 25 pounders
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
that might be a touch light

but don't base your opinion on other people's reports.... the vast majority of people overestimate the weight of the stripers they catch ... a fish over 20 lbs is big ... and fairly rare yet i hear people talk about 25 pounders all the time

i've been doing this 15 years, get out 25+ mornings a season and dont get too many 25 pounders
Agreed. Fishermen have LONG RODS..........and stories.... I have pulled many high teens from the river but career best is 23 honest pounds...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Official Member

Been fishing for the last twenty days,have caught many fish in the 15-23lb range.biggest was 32lb.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
Been fishing for the last twenty days,have caught many fish in the 15-23lb range.biggest was 32lb.

ditto only my biggest was a lb smaller. until that fish my best was only 22 lbs. got one at 23 last week and a few 20+...