Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Official Member

Default 4/30-5/3 upper Hudson report

4/30-Launched out of Albany at 630 Monday morning and headed South in search of herring. Well that search lasted 3 hours lol; I hit all my usual herring spots and couldnít catch a thing. We were finally able to manage a few in the area of the port but they were not easy. We headed for some deeper water 35+ ft and set up on the channel edge fishing but live and chunk. Fished that spot for a few hours and didnít have a single run. Started bouncing from spot to spot heading north and still could not find any active fish. Finally we were able to find a few active fish and were able to catch two within a few minutes. Besides that all my other spots were a bust. Called it a day around 4.

5/1-Out of Albany this time first light in the pouring rain. Headed down to the port area and was able to get my herring pretty quick but boy was it pouring. Headed back North and set up on one of my more productive spots and as soon as the rain stopped it was game on. Went 9-12 with the biggest going 38 Ĺ inches and 26 lbs. I could not keep the lines in the water but as soon as the tide turned so did the hot bite. Like a light switch the bite went from on fire to dead in a flash. Picked my father up for the afternoon and moved to another spot and waited for the tide. When it started to rip out the bit was on again. We had doubles hooked up with in 10 minutes of the tide change. Went 5-8, braking off a very large fish. Ended the day with 14 fish caught and for a second time this year ending with a double digit day.

5/2-Again launched out of Albany at 7 am and this time headed North in search of herring. First few spots were a bust on herring but we were able to find a good school of them and got what we needed pretty quick. Set up in some skinny water where I was marking some fish, two hours and not a run. Moved out into the 15-20 ft range for another 2 hours and again nothing. Bounced all over in search of active fish because the fish finder was showing a ton of fish but ended the day with the big SKUNK.

5/3- Last day off before going back to work for a few days so my father decided to take the day off and spend the day on the river. One the river at 6 and we were fishing by 630 with fresh chuck that I saved from the day before. Again that outgoing tide was the ticket. We set up on a nice hump and quick underwater cut and the bite was on as soon as the lines hit the water. Our first hook up of the morning was a double with my father landing a nice plum 36 inch fish. We fished the outgoing and ended going 7-11 with the 36 incher being the biggest. We fished all of the incoming tide and only had a few quick run and drops. We fished all over on the incoming tide and they just seemed to shut right down. Left the launch at 530.

A few things: Most of my fish have been coming on fresh chunk that is changed every 10 minutes or so. I have also found so far this year I have been having better luck with a shorter leader over my usual 3-4 ft leader. Like I have said before boat traffic has been key to me catching fish, I have tried my very best to stay out of the crowd and it seems to be working. The outgoing tide has been my ticket so far but this season I have been able to catch fish at both tides. I use the Albany launch and if you donít launch early that place can be a pain in the ass. The construction project on the bridge is also taking up a few spots.

I have read a lot of reports on here about the bite not being good and so on. I put in four solid days and as you can see had very different results. The best thing I can say is to get in as much time on the water as possible. Also the pictures that I posted are from a few spots that I consider well known so I tried my best on others to hide the background. So far this year I have landed 38 fish and I am proud to say 37 of the 38 were safely released. Good luck all, I will be back out next Tuesday-Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Ben

Default Re: 4/30-5/3 upper Hudson report

Great Update Schroon!! I launch from the same place, but so far no stripers only herring this year. Hoping this weekend changes all of that. Great to see that you catch and release, striper population seems to be taking a hammering the last few years...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Official Member

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish25.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	15977   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish24.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	15978   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish23.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	15979  
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Official Member

a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish22.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	15980   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 21.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	15981  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Official Member

Very nice! I wish I had "favorite spots", I am too new to the game. You have put in your time and now you reap the rewards! I had a question about fishing chunk, are you just running it on a bare hook fish finder style or are you running it on a spin-n-glo or something like that.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Official Member

Straight fish finder rig with the lightest weight to keep it on the bottom.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
If Fishing Was Work I'd Never Be Sick!!!

Fished up in Troy on Sunday. The water was ripping over the dam so moved down stream a bit. Lots of obstickles in the river. Fished from shore for most of the day. No runs but the Herring were everywhere. Even got them from shore on a Sabiki rig. Heading back on Monday. I hope it will be better.