Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default Why does cornwall suck?

I see reports on here and heard reports from great sources in plum point area. Fish being caught all over....But all season, there have only been 2 fish over 10lbs pulled in cornwall.

Been using bloods, where perch destroy in 30secs, switched to cut herring, nothing but Cats and Eels. Now 3 days of livelining herring after catching them, not even getting a run.

I just dont get how this is the only spot on the river not producing. I havent caught a fish over 10lbs here in 3 years!. Few years ago i got a few 20lbs. Now im lucky if i catch a short.

I really wonder if the storms messed around with the bottom, or schools just stay away from there now
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Why does cornwall suck?

heres a better question; why keep fishing an unproductive spot? Its like anything, you have to give to recieve. In this case, giving means putting in time and effort to find a good spot or two. At this point in the run, if you are fishing live herring correctly (which from shore is usually a couple of feet off the bottom)and not getting runs, the stripers just arent feeding there. What is the bottom like? (are your herring coming back full of mud or grass?) How deep is it?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

like i said, it was productive, but now its not for some reason. Where we cast, its 20 feet (had someone check on a boat).....Bait never comes back with mud or grass. Rocks are close to shore but not far out

Problem with finding new spots are people claim that some shores are "Their spots" i dont wanna deal with those ppl
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Striped nut

when was the last time we had 3 days of consistent fishable weather? :)

This is a bit off topic but I suspect all the storms (post-Irene until this year) have messed up Croton Bay especially in North part where the Croton River empties into that Bay. I've hit bottom in my whaler in spots that I've not hit previously. Fortunately, it was mud and I was going slow.

The next full or new moon low tide (forget actually which one) I scanned by boat and shore and noted what changed/took pix to compare from previous years. One little point extends farther than I've remembered--and another area close to shore was covered with more rocks than I remember.

Maybe the same thing happened up there and that's changed where bait and hence bass go.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
living in a van down by the river

Try Beacon or Marlboro
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarcap View Post
when was the last time we had 3 days of consistent fishable weather? :)

This is a bit off topic but I suspect all the storms (post-Irene until this year) have messed up Croton Bay especially in North part where the Croton River empties into that Bay. I've hit bottom in by whaler in spots that I've not hit previously. Fortunately, it was mud and I was going slow.

The next full or new moon low tide (forget actually which one) I scanned by boat and shore and noted what changed/took pix to compare from previous years. One little point extends farther than I've remembered--and another area close to shore was covered with more rocks than I remember.

Maybe the same thing happened up there and that's changed where bait and hence bass go.

this is our theory here....Look at where Moodna creek comes out, the sandbar got about 3 times bigger at low tide and is littered with trees. Dosent help that no Herring swim up Moodna anymore since the paper mill littered that creek
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team

Angle Moodna has herring just got to know were to look. said to say is that I've always had better luck w/ bloods than herring in our bay. I think its the fact that the fish prefer to stay on the channel edges more to the east , I've attempted to fish at your front door many many times even before having a boat all w/o success, But I did mark them out there in depths around 30 ft. Not nearly that deep in that part of shore, try hiking east a bit past the point of storm kings base towards cold spring then you have deeper water and are on a channel edge throw it out with a float to keep the bait about 3 or four feet off bottom

Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglethedangle View Post
this is our theory here....Look at where Moodna creek comes out, the sandbar got about 3 times bigger at low tide and is littered with trees. Dosent help that no Herring swim up Moodna anymore since the paper mill littered that creek
Same thing happened to creek I go to as well, but that was only last year, you said you havent caught decent fish in 3 years...

If you know of spots that are claimed, try nearby but not too close. I prefer to fish in a bit of an uncomfortabe spot rather than be swarmed by people
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglethedangle View Post
I see reports on here and heard reports from great sources in plum point area. Fish being caught all over....But all season, there have only been 2 fish over 10lbs pulled in cornwall.

Been using bloods, where perch destroy in 30secs, switched to cut herring, nothing but Cats and Eels. Now 3 days of livelining herring after catching them, not even getting a run.

I just dont get how this is the only spot on the river not producing. I havent caught a fish over 10lbs here in 3 years!. Few years ago i got a few 20lbs. Now im lucky if i catch a short.

I really wonder if the storms messed around with the bottom, or schools just stay away from there now
when the spawn gets going and the fish are on the way out that bay turns on and loads up but not yet i never do good with herring there but eels work i do get a couple on herring but would rather use eels of course bloods work but i dont use them. small fish