Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 PM
If Fishing Was Work I'd Never Be Sick!!!

Default 3 strikes! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Ok, I have gone to the same spot 3 times now spending all day with no Stripers. I can see them surfacing and jumping, but not hitting. I am not a quitter so I will be there again this Sunday. It's a 2 hour drive but not a bad drive, bait is 2.50 a piece and don't live long and I can't seem to catch my own yet, so I have spent a good amount of money on bait so far.
My set up is a 10ft. Tsunami rod with a quantum sp80 reel with 30# Power Pro line, 50# flouro leader with a 6/0 J hook and a 2oz sinker on a slide. Is there a better technique for catching these fish? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Young salt

Default Re: 3 strikes! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeking View Post
Ok, I have gone to the same spot 3 times now spending all day with no Stripers. I can see them surfacing and jumping, but not hitting. I am not a quitter so I will be there again this Sunday. It's a 2 hour drive but not a bad drive, bait is 2.50 a piece and don't live long and I can't seem to catch my own yet, so I have spent a good amount of money on bait so far.
My set up is a 10ft. Tsunami rod with a quantum sp80 reel with 30# Power Pro line, 50# flouro leader with a 6/0 J hook and a 2oz sinker on a slide. Is there a better technique for catching these fish? PLEASE HELP!!!

$2.50 apiece, what are you using again, herring, macks, gold boulions, LOL? I assume whatever bait you're using is being live-lined? IMHO NOTHING beats fresh, live bait so you're definitely on the right track. If you have gone to the same spot 3 times and nothing is happening, DON'T be afraid to pack it up and move to another area. Just because there are fish holding where you're fishing doesn't mean they're biting. You say you can see fish "surfacing and jumping," my question to you is, what are they surfacing and jumping for? They very well could be busting bait fish to the surface (though I'm sure you'd notice/hear that) and hence, don't give your offering much of a look. If you and your buddies were all gorging yourselves on filet mignon and I threw a cube steak down on the table, none of ya would give it a second look right? Use that rationale of thinking when targeting stripers, and make sure your bait is alive and kicking (sometimes wounded is your best option, but ya may not have the best of luck with a dead, floating piece of bait amongst a school of live ones) Sometimes ya wanna throw something different into the mix in the middle of a blitz to get them to bite. Have ya tried the old bubble-gum colored tube tipped with a sandworm and trolled low and slow.....if ya haven't you def should. Do ya have another rod and an assortment of lures readily available? Sometimes the fish are simply lock-jawed, depending what time of the day you're fishing. You sound like you're fishing from dusk to dawn (all day) or at the very least, putting many hours on the water. If ya have another set up try throwing an unweighted, 6" sluggo (sand eel or black over grey) and "ripping and twitching" it across the surface. Throw in some metals/tins like Kastmasters, Hopkins Spoons or Deadly Dicks retrieved low and slow. A bucktail (red/white laughing) can be deadly and is often regarded as one of the most versatile lures on the market. Toss one out either by itself or with a pork-rind trailer and vary your retrieval speeds/methods (most effective for me is to let it sink a little and then retrieve quickly "ripping and twitching" your rod trip). Boone's Needlefish can also do the trick when nothing else seems to work. Just keep putting your time in man, something will happen for you if you keep at it.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Official Member

Hi

I had that a time ago,
I thru everything I had at them and they wouldn.t bite.
what they were feeding on is 2in cinder worms 20 lb fish.
Look there will be days when they commit suicide,other days they want one thing and thats it.
what separates the great fishermen and the rest of us.
Is first, they have a log of everyday they go out.
then they can figure out what works and what doesn't
for every part of the season, place, bait, and what kind of fish show up.
things do change, but not that much that can not adapt to whats happening.
goodluck
Mike P
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
If Fishing Was Work I'd Never Be Sick!!!

Thank you guys, we are looking at a new spot now. I am not a quiter and I WILL figure them out. I have a large bow full of all kinds of Striper lures and they will see everyone of them til they see one that they like. I have 3 rods all set up the same.