Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Bad first trip

Our first trip was Saturday 4/28. We left Somers Cove Marina in Crisfield to 6:30 am and made the 22 mile run up around Smith Island through Kedges Straight and past the target ship to the main channel. We were just approaching 66 running at 3200 rpm when the engine shut down just like someone turned off the key. Spend the next two hours drifting while waiting for TowboatUS to show up. Then we had a 3-1/2 hour tow back to Somers Cove. Didn't eve wet a lure. Oh well - maybe we can get back on the water soon.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Bad first trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
Our first trip was Saturday 4/28. We left Somers Cove Marina in Crisfield to 6:30 am and made the 22 mile run up around Smith Island through Kedges Straight and past the target ship to the main channel. We were just approaching 66 running at 3200 rpm when the engine shut down just like someone turned off the key. Spend the next two hours drifting while waiting for TowboatUS to show up. Then we had a 3-1/2 hour tow back to Somers Cove. Didn't eve wet a lure. Oh well - maybe we can get back on the water soon.

That's an absolute kick in the face :( Sorry to hear that. Hope the engine is alright. What was the problem? That happened to me on my first boat that I junked lol. Hate 2 strokes!!!! Now I got a 200hp Four Stroke, purrs like the wind :D
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Turns out it was a broken wire. The original owner had bypassed the kill switch and joined the two purple wires with a piece of black automotive wire. One end was crimped and heat shrinked, the other end just had a butt connector. The wire corroded and broke at the butt connector. Had to take the side panel off to find it. At least it was something stupid simple. We will be back out there this weekend to give it another try.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
Turns out it was a broken wire. The original owner had bypassed the kill switch and joined the two purple wires with a piece of black automotive wire. One end was crimped and heat shrinked, the other end just had a butt connector. The wire corroded and broke at the butt connector. Had to take the side panel off to find it. At least it was something stupid simple. We will be back out there this weekend to give it another try.
Man sorry to hear that. At least it is a cheap fix. My 65hp let me down once, so I always put my Johnson 4hp on the back now.